2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

if this a fact, i would like to see BWF deal with BAM for realm because of the bad management by "you know who they are"...

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Hehe, I think umpires are targeting Spain, including the great Carolina Marin - ex-All England champion and two time world champion! They keep giving her yellow and red cards. Perhaps they can't get over the fact that she's a big badminton champion from Spain!

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I would like to know what was [MENTION=122561]Nine Tailed Fox[/MENTION] 's reaction when 2 red cards was awarded to Carolina Marin. Being a great fan of China, he does not even want to believe in facts and simply nationalistic bounded. :D

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Apparently this is for the Group Play stage NOT the Knock-out stage.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I googled and it appears that Lin Dan has thrown his racket before.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    that's the problem with red cards.

the umpire can give u 3 or 31 warnings before handing out a red card.

in SJH vs Marin in German Open 2015, two red cards were given in succession, ie the latter one without any warning.

everything is so arbitrary.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think Players should be punished after the match. The umpire should note the offence in his match report and accordingly players should be punished with hefty fine or ranking pts deduction or ban from playing the next tournament.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Maybe they should change the soccer rules too. Red card should mean hefty fine or ban from playing the next match only, not a sent off. Sent off ruins the game.

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

As I wrote above, you cannot simply count the number of warnings; you must include level and timing as well. If a player wastes time immediately after being shown a card for delay, they will be shown another carded immediately with almost certainty - see the Swiss Open example. And if you go back and count the warnings to Carolina Marin in that match, you'll probably get into the double digits as well if you include the yellow card and subsequent warnings.

So while there is some variation between umpires and matches, this is not arbitrary at all - just possible to be missed by the casual spectator who does not pay attention to the umpire's wording and the precise situation. As I wrote before, anything between a red and a black card is justifiable given the delaying in the All-England final. But that's not to say that the umpire would have suddenly called in the referee for a black card at 17-17; after 4 medium level-warnings after a yellow card a red card is simply and obviously the next step. After a major minor infraction - such as not going on to play after being shown a card for delay - or 3-6 minor infractions the next card is going to come out.

There is also a lot of nuance to this, which cannot be captured by the hard numbers I'm posting. For instance, if the umpire has seen your shoelaces wobble, they may be far more understanding if you tie your shoelaces, especially if you ask for permission beforehand. Umpires also get reviewed by the referee and discuss matches with other umpires in order to insure as much consistency as possible.

10. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Punishment after the match is already what happens when a yellow card is shown. If players don't get jolted by that, it's much more effective and understandable to affect the current than any later matches. For instance, with your proposal, cards would have basically no effect in the Olympics, which would be rather strange.

And of course umpires do note offences in their match reports. In fact, the only time an umpire match report has to be printed, signed and kept by the referee is when any cards have been shown or other special circumstances occurred.

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Instead of red card,a penalty should be awarded.

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

In the context of the game, that's arguably equivalent to awarding opponent a point in current badminton rules. Arguably worse in fact.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

A red card after 50 warnings is fine with me.

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Let's go for broke and make it 500 warnings.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Why? 50% of the professional footballers don't have the nerves to put the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards. It's not an easy task. It's completely different from gifting Nozomi Okuhara the match.

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

One point is gifting the match? I thought you needed to win at least 21 points twice to win the match.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

In any cases I was impressed by WSX's play and I think she just won her OLY spot on that day.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Say it's the soccer world cup final 2018. Imagine if Messi was given a yellow card in the first half for a bad tackle. The scores are locked 1-1 with 5 seconds of extra time to go in the second half, Messi does another bad tackle in his own half (or appears to, but the opposing player called Christiano Ronaldo actually faked falling and appears in agony, convincing the referee of a fault) and Messi gets a red card. With your rules, Messi would stay on the pitch to watch Ronaldo potentially win the world cup with a penalty goal. That sounds more like gifting the match to me hehe.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

The umpire was intelligent enough to know this . He could have shown the yellow/red very early in the third set as WSX was delaying continously from the time when the earth was formed per Mr.Phihag.But he knew it, showing the red that late will change the outcome for sure and kudos to him for carrying out the plan to perfection.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Anything's possible, but I wouldn't say it as if it was a fact as you're implying. Regardless, WSX should really have avoided that situation in the first place. Just like Messi above, I'm sure he would be more careful not to do any dodgy tackles if he's already sitting on a yellow card. Ultimately, WSX could just have been ready quickly every time, thus putting the pressure on Okuhara to be ready. Perhaps Okuhara would then need to have a card handed out. Okuhara played the game perfectly, both physically and mentally. A win is a win.