2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Kohli should also average more in matches that matter. Terrible loss really. All out for less than 100 against nobodies.

Anyway, well done to Okuhara again.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah but if the same happens at 60 : 30, my idea will save the match. Ronaldo can score and give his team the lead and Messi could bounce back too.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

WSX could have bounced back. It was 17-18, and then 19-19. She had every chance to bounce back. I think if it was 20-19 to Okuhara, then you'd have more argument to use the term "gifting the match". But again, you need to win at least 21 points, twice. You don't win a match because you won or lost one point.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

He could have avoided the controversy easily if he wanted to and that too within rules. But he waited for the perfect oppurtunity to strike and be the hero of the match. Certainly,he won't show the card at 20-19 LOL,too much to handle even for him....and anything before 10 is meaningless But WOW!

5. Nine Tailed Fox

You are underestimating the psychological effect of a lottery.

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Say the red card was given before 10, and Okuhara wins the match 21-19, or say 30-29, I'm pretty sure you'd still be saying the same thing hehe. I actually think WSX had paid the umpire to give her at least one red card to ensure she lost, as she's been approached by the tennis match fixers hehe.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Might the umpire be giving too many warnings, repeating it impatiently in quick succession in some cases? So it's not just counting the number of warnings issued.

How about a similar study for Nozomi, showing how she escaped even a yellow card ? Just saying.

For me, the red card came at a most unfortunate time that impacted the match more than it should, taking into account the unusual circumstances. I mean, a red card awarded at the beginning of the third set is an entirely different matter from one issued at the final stretch of such a high-intensity, long-drawn , tiring match.

Of course, NO fans and supporters would like to remember only the final outcome, conveniently ignoring the red card incident, even gloating over WSX's misfortune. Most neutral and objective observers would see things in perspective, acknowledging the red card issue and its undeniable impact in an otherwise great match.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think the umpire actually felt pressure from the crowd who were booing WSX for time wasting. Just goes to show how influential the crowd can be. Maximus discovered this quickly and became a champion and a legend. Perhaps WSX needs to learn this too hehe.

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Deleted the trolling part.

Back to the point, yes I would have congratulated Nozomi Okuhara if the red was shown before 10 and probably would have asked her to share the cake with me.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm sure the said umpire knew nobody, however tough-minded and strong, can withstand such a mishap occurring so near the finishing line.

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Good for you mate. But I think you should still congratulate her. She had a great tournament regardless of the red card or not.

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

By the way, if you watch carefully, the umpire actually hesitated before giving the red card. He really didn't want to, but WSX was just asking for it really. Either some really good acting (which is what Nine Tailed Fox will be implying, and that's trolling for sure hehe), or he was just trying to be a good umpire.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

ThoughI think the umpire was too stiff with WSX, I mostly blame her for what happened, because she did not show enough respect towards the umpire. I have been reading comments of the affair on the Chinese web site aiyuke and the people are really divided about it. A lot thought it was unfair, but lot also consider WSX's behaviour was not up to par. Here is an example of such an opinion :

红牌没什么问题,欧洲裁判执法本来就比较严。澳元希望又是系鞋带又是鞠躬的,合理利用规则,后来裁判警告过她,她也不敢了。小贤贤就是完全无视,裁判说什么她都当耳旁风,裁判不火大才怪。给了黄牌闹情绪,裁判更窝火。后来都摸口袋了,还尼玛我行我素,真当裁判拿他没办法吗?

Basically this person said the players must obey the umpire and show it, otherwise the player enter into a competition with him - which is very wrong.
    I agree with this view, the umpire felt probably awkward but had no choice because WSX did not give him face.
    http://www.aiyuke.com/news/2016/03/4321.html?1458085150.html

demolidor likes this.
  14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The umpire gave WSX the red card at 17-17 after numerous warnings or has reached the limit.

He can't give her the red card at the beginning or resumption of the 3rd game as some members suggested because at that time WSX probably hasn't been warned that many times.

15. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

i don't get it, why many umpires are so hesitant to show a yellow card. a yellow card means nothing really. even a red card, ie faulting the player, is nothing in a 21 rally point system. okay, it depends on the actual score at the time of giving the red card, but still, a red card is no big deal if you think pragmatically.

what i want to say is, that a yellow card should be given really really quick. maybe after 3-4 warnings already... players more and more abuse the reluctance of umpires to show cards...

16. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

just a random side note: in tennis it is actually a rule, that you can only score a point when the racket is in your hand.

17. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Maybe the solution should be like in Boxing or Soccer.

In those sports, you start when the referee says you start. So in this case, even if WSX isn't ready, the umpire can make a sign that Nozomi can just start serving. That still gives WSX opportunity to reply even if she isn't ready. What if WSX is the server? Then the referee gives her five or so seconds after he make a sign that she can serve to get into service position before giving a red card.

I think these rules would be simple to implement and gives players and referees easier time.

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree.( must be the first time to do so.) Actually, WSX had to stay so focussed she forgot to shriek.
    If WSX had been affected by the red card, she would not have been able to win another point and the final score would have been 21-17 to Nozomi. WSX managed to fight back and level the score at 19-19. At 19 all, the outcome could go either way.
    i have always wondered how WSX managed to get away with the time she takes to just serve. Those posters who have only watched WSX s game on TV and never watched WSX serve, court side , will not understand how long she takes, just to serve. She would get into position to serve, then hold the action to serve, as if posing for the cameraman, and you can count to 8 and the shuttle s still in her hand. This is a ritual to mask thinking and recovery time. In the meantime, the opponent is being sabotaged in her response time, to best return her serve because WSX takes too long to serve. She reminds me of Nadal. Nadal used to have an elaborate preening ritual before serving. It was not until Lubijic complained about Nadal s ridiculous habit that tennis specified 25s for a serve. Nadal s ritual gave him extra time to think/recover at the expense of the opponent. Lubijic got fed up because he was bent waiting until his back probably hurt or got tired and Nadal was still preening.
    Badminton should set a similar standard.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Nadal would
    1. first pull the back of his short then 2. stroke his hair above the left ear,
    3. rubbed his nose
    4. stroke the hair above his right ear
    5. rubbed his nose again.

Anymore to add?