2011 WorldChampionship

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes you read it right. Maybe a little too advance.. but 2011 Badminton WorldChampionship will be held in London, England. This is to gear up the sports towards 2012 Olympics in London.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

WoW, congratz to London! One of prominent city in Europe, where will be the venue? The classic Wembley Arena or Millenium Dome the O2? I think host city of World Championship is various and spread enough between Asia and Europe, different side for another BWF event like Thomas-Uber Cup which too concentrate in Asia as its venue.

3. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

London awarded 2011 World Championships
    BADMINTON England was celebrating today after London won the right to stage the World Individual Badminton Championships for the first time.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) awarded England the 19th World Championships and the event will come to the capital just a year before the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

BADMINTON England Chief Executive Adrian Christy and David Hornby, Commercial Director for Events for London, were in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur yesterday to make the final bid presentation to the Council of the BWF – and today it proved to be a winner!

The bid has received strong financial backing from UK Sport’s World Class Events Programme and has also been supported by the Sports Minister, Gerry Sutcliffe MP, The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone and London 2012 Chairman Lord Coe.

A jubilant Christy said after learning the decision: “This is great news for badminton fans throughout Britain and just what the sport needs as we aim to raise its profile in the countdown to the London Olympics.

“I am determined to bring more big events to England and I am confident that I will be able to announce more good news for badminton fans early in the New Year.

“But winning the bid was the easy part. The hard work starts now as we aim to make this first World Badminton Championships to be held in London a worthy event in the build-up to the Olympic Games.”

Upon awarding the Championships to London, BWF Deputy President Punch Gunalan said “The bid from BADMINTON England was very impressive and we are delighted to award the World Championships to England. We know the badminton world will look forward to coming to London.”

The tournament will benefit from an award of up to £500,000 from UK Sport’s National Lottery backed World Class Events Programme and UK Sport’s International Director, John Scott, was equally delighted that a vital opportunity to secure an event of this status had been achieved in the lead up to London 2012:

“This is a tremendous result for BADMINTON England, the UK’s World Class Events Programme, and of course our elite players, as they prepare for the challenge ahead in five years time. Hosting the World Championships in a pre-Olympic year is strategically the most important in the Olympic cycle and guarantees that the very best players in the world will be present in London,” he said.

David Hornby spoke for Events for London when he added: “This is amazing news for both Badminton and London and a great way to end a spectacular year for the capital in terms of sport.

"In a year that has seen London host the hugely successful Tour de France Grand Depart and the first ever competitive game of NFL outside North America, this win underlines again London’s credentials as the leading World City for major events. In the year before the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, we look forward to working with all the partners to make this a fabulous experience for fans, players and the world of Badminton.”

One of the deciding factors in the successful London bid was BADMINTON England’s plans to not only welcome the elite players from all over the world but to use the Championships to inspire thousands of people of all ages to get involved in the sport. There will be a London Schools World Championships as well as a big opportunity for badminton enthusiasts to play a part under a major initiative to recruit new coaches and volunteers to the sport.

4. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Yuppieee!!! I love London! Planning to go there... (Ok, maybe a bit too early)

5. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Omigod! Yannie, Tarek & Mei Ying! We all must go!!
    Lets pray I will get a job as soon as I graduate. Then may be will have enough money to go WC11 and tour Europe together! :D

6. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

All roads lead to London

All sports events are leading to london in the event of Olympics award, It should be really a great feeling for London

7. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Brilliant news! International badminton in London for 2 years running (2011 and 2012). I think the All England used to be held in Wembley Arena before it was moved to the Birmingham NIA. I guess that's the most likely destination.

The O2 stadium inside the dome is another possibility but that is a massive vanue!

8. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Wonderful! London is so close to Amsterdam (Holland)! I'm definitely going to visit it then. And truly a great warm-up for the Olympics. Testing out the venues and stuff.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Tempted as always..

...yes, i will pray, too, that i can go and visit London and Europe during those 2 years..to visit our European BCers along the way (eg. Syaoran_Style, yannie, jamesd20, demolidor, jerby and others):p..Of course, i've gotta start saving, too!!..:crying: :p :D;)

10. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    London is an expensive city and I bet prices will go up especially in the Olympic period. But if you book early enough for 2011 I'm sure you will get some good bargains.

I'm thinking of moving to London...maybe I'll offer some rooms to BC'ers at a special discounted rate!!

11. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    This is really great news... Maybe I will go and watch it :)

12. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Definitely going. AE2010, WC2011, OG2012 ... living in Ireland isn't all that bad :D

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Haha... tell me about it. It is always nice to live nearby. :)

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wow^^
    congrates to london and england:D:D:D
    hope their badminton level will rise soon too:D

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hmmm... London... nice. Was planning to visit anyway, so could work out well. But need a firm tournament date first.

Boy, TC/UC May next year. WC in 2011. Bank account = OUCH!! :D:D

16. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Very good marketing move for badminton. Will definately prepare everything for the olympics and hopefully pull a bit more interest if it all goes according to plan!!!!

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    ur bank account will have less pain
    i will help u with few stick of satay:D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- The 2011 WC would probably be held in August; either 2nd week or 3rd week.
    - If you wanna go to London, you should go next yr for the AE's 100th anniversary. I know it'll be a tight schedule with the T&UC in May.
    - On my end, i'll try to save for the 2012 OG (London/Europe visit)...:p

19. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    The All England is held in the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, not in London :)

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am looking forward to the AE in 2010 (which I am going too :D) and the WC in 2011 (which I am going too :D :D) and the OG in 2012 (Wgich I am hopefully going too :D:D:D)