2011 Denmark Open SSP: Round 2 Thu 20-October

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Oct 19, 2011.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

wang chen, may be?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Coaching life of Wang Chen

Badzine article of Wang Chen (Interviewed on 25-Jun-2010);

http://www.badzine.net/features/wang-chen-a-new-start-for-former-world-1/2589/

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

When being asked about her coaching life after her retirement this March, Wang smiles and stops to think for a while, “Actually I can’t tell the difference before and after my retirement. I started to learn English as I think the language can help me to do my coaching job when I lead the team in tournaments.

“I have two one and a half hour lessons at the Hong Kong Sports Institute every week. I enjoy the lessons and so far I have no problems in catching up the progress of learning.”

Before her conversion from a player to a coach, she attended a sports theory course organized by the Hong Kong Coach Accreditation Program, and became an accredited badminton coach after passing the exams.

Wang has set a target for her coaching career and thinks this is a continuation of her player’s life which lacks one important achievement : “My greatest regret in my career is not winning a medal in the Olympic Games. I really hope that I can train up our local players to stand on the podium at the Olympics.”

On the up side, the team events were always a joy for Wang to participate in as she made a huge difference when she joined the Hong Kong Team.

Until then, the Hong Kong Team usually had poor performances in team tournaments, including the Sudirman, Thomas and Uber Cups. Wang Chen’s arrival soon made the team become more competitive shortly after the turn of the century. “I normally played two matches in each team tie: one singles and one doubles. My victories helped secure the advancement of the team,” she said.

Wang also pointed out her view on the team’s recent downgrade in the Sudirman Cup and not qualifying to play in final rounds of the Uber Cup. “This year I didn’t play in the preliminary rounds of the Uber Cup and I think the defeat was somehow expected.

“At the time I came to Hong Kong, I was only 23 years old. Now our key player Zhou Mi is already 30 years old. It is too demanding for her to play two matches every day. The future of the Hong Kong Team is in our junior players’ hands. Though their ability and physical fitness may not favour them when comparing with main rivals, I am optimistic that they can have a bright future if they work hard and have a good foundation. I am glad that my basics are pretty strong, which helped me to elongate my career as I got older and older.”

Local badminton legend

Wang Chen is the local legend of badminton throughout years of her career. She is the first local winner of the Hong Kong Super Series in the 21-year history of the tournament as an Open event. She is also the first Asian Champion for Hong Kong – a title she won 3 times but her career high was when she became well-known in the territory after winning the gold medal in the Asian Games in Doha, in 2006.

“I was very nervous when I first represented Hong Kong in the 2002 Asian Games. I didn’t speak to anybody during the tour and what I did was watch the videos of my main rivals repeatedly,” Eventually, she was to enter history in the next edition, in Doha in 2006, beating her compatriot Yip Pui Yin in an unexpected final after the two Hong Kong upstarts had beaten, respectively, Xie Xingfang and Zhang Ning, the hot favourites from China.

Then, Wang Chen won the Hong Kong Super Series title, in 2008. “It was amazing to win the Super Series title here. I was injured and didn’t have systematic training. I missed the two Super Series events in Europe. When I looked at the draw before it started, I told my coach that I might lose to Wang Lin in the first round.”

Wang Lin had won 2 titles back-to-back, in Denmark and France, which were held a month before Hong Kong Open. “I continued to beat Judith Meulendijks, Saina Nehwal, Zhou Mi and Xie Xingfang to come out on top. I couldn’t believe it! It just happened.”

The Hong Kong badminton queen also shared who was the opponent that she was most afraid of: “Susi Susanti, for sure. I never beat her and our head-to-head record was 0-7. In my point of view, she got stronger and stronger every time she beat you.

What will Wang do besides her coaching and learning English? “I may take a course related to sports at the Peking University. It is time for me to learn more.”

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yep! Its heartening to see more ladies being accepted as coaches for the boys as well, on the international stage. There was this lady I saw courtside at a few matches (on the telecast) with the Danish players as well... anyone know about her?

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Wang Chen is no ordinary lady coach

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's not what I implied, either. :D My observation was about the fact that lady coaches are being accepted by national teams to coach their mens singles players as well. This is a welcome development in terms of equal opportunity and acknowledging a person's abilities, IMO.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Totally agree. It should be based on ability, not gender

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Fresh of the boat :D, just came across a small clip:

[video=youtube;DFANu0Fzh8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFANu0Fzh8w[/video]