2005 WC Day 6 (Saturday)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by ctjcad, Aug 20, 2005.

1. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Well Tony Gunawan isn't as legendary as Kim Dong Moon is that his career was short due quite a number of changes during his career such as changing partners three, four times, or even more. And let's not forget he had to stop training when he moved to the US. If he had continuously play badminton for Indonesia with ONE partner and not five I am sure he is capable of securing as many MD title's as Kim Dong Moon or even more. The only thing Kim Dong Moon is ahead of Tony Gunawan is that he plays both the Men's Double event as well as the Mixed Double.

If you are talking about the game play, I would rank Tony Gunawan a little higher than Kim Dong Moon. To me, it seems like Tony is a smarter player, always controlling, changing angles, and setting up for his partner to smash. True, he is not a great smasher but I think a player with brain is better than one with muscle.

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

About Tony,

I very strongly believe that he was a magnificent player who set it up for their partners. U can prob call him a play maker rather than a offenisve weapon. To me its a pity that Plp tend to forget the playmakers.When comparing him to KDM, I was just talking in terms of MD. Without question KDM is a better XD player but we cannot forget that he had the luck to play with Ra.

As some others pointed out, changing partners is no easy task and the ability to work around any partner shows he has some real talent. IMHO, i think he is prob the best MD baddy players in the past few years. I really dont think Number of titles is the only measure in comparing talent.

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Hi Hugo,

How is it going? I still surf the forum, but things have kept me busy. Its great when you have to read so many things at one go. Its also amazing as to how big this forum has grown. Kwun has done a remarkable job. Hats off to him.

I guess i should start spending more time at the forum....

Take care and enjoy your baddy......

4. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Well, he lost in fist game wit all shuttle being sending out of the court due to win issue. M expecting interesting and attractive match between these 2 player. If not held in this venue, i believe we can enjoy the match. As, both also a tuft play, U really cannot expect a 3-15 .... result....

5. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Well, 90 % of chinese in Malaysia can speak mandarin. The rest of 10 % speak English becaue they are english educated. And all Malaysian ( Chinese, India etc) can speak Bahasa Malay. M a chinese too, in our life we speak our own language (Manderin). We only speak Bahasa Malaysia when we want to communicate with Malay or goverment offical.

6. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Tony Gunawan won Olympic Gold, World Championships and All England within a short space of time, arguably the 3 most important titles to a pro.

Did Kim ever win the Worlds in MD? Also without high quality sparring and regular national training, Tony is still able to perform after a few years. Kim doesn't seem to be able to sustain the level without constant training. My opinion.

7. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    it was an amazing sunday morning here in manila as we were treated to the live coverage of today's games. Woke up around 10am and caught the LD championships. Was rooting for Gao but alas, it's not her day.

Tony is still an amazing player, and although it's easy to see that Howard Bach is still "raw," it's equally easy to see how much love there is between the 2 'american' players. Bach is not that consistent, but he's the crowd darling. Tony is smarter than ever with his game, and he sets up Bach beautifully.

Luluk and Alven should be separated. They're both very talented and undoubtably in great shape, but they really don't seem to like each other :D . One can almost assume that these guys are actually fighting with each other with every bad shot made.

"why'd you hit it like that? can't you hit that shot better?" or "You should have put away that shot instead of babying it like that..."

Add to this the thought of being at the world championships, up against the home favorites, and a "living legend" of badminton (gunawan) with another legendary player for their coach (halim) and you have baaaaad juju. :D

Well, what do I know about badminton? I'm just a professional spectator stuck to his tube here in manila. And boy, I'm loving it.

Can't wait for tomorrow's matches... oh geez. The finals are gonna be in the morning... Monday morning! Will call in sick just to watch LD vs. Taufik and Candra/Sigit vs. Tony/Bach.

8. POSHBOY

POSHBOY Regular Member

sales

I told you, its never too late to learn something new...

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Actually i was chatting with Alven, and for him, this particular World Championship event seemed rather weird and unusual. The reason why is he felt the SF matches mostly consisted of all Indonesian players(incl. Tony G.), seemed like there was no one else to play for.
    Personally, i would agree with him. It's such a weird event, so many unusual and unexpected things happened...:p...

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    who the [bleep] cares.

she became a crowd favorite because she plays w/ passion and personality. just like the thai xd team.

11. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

for mix ..i do rank kdm is much better player than tony...coz kdm has ra as his partner ...but for mens double...kim also partner with yoo and lee during the thomas cup in 98 or 99..but the result was not good...but tony has won so many titles with diff partners...if ppl say coz he has been partner with all the legends to won all those titles..what about howard...howard will properly never be able to make the national team if he is indo..china ..korea..malay
    but when tony did is make his partner a much better player......remember in 2001 worldchamp....tony.halim outscored kim and ha 15-0 in the first game during the final