for those who are starting badminton...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 10, 2005.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    It's 11.50pm... less than 9 hours from my accounting exam but heck. I'm sure I can squeeze in a post :p

ALRIGHT!!

For most of you beginners and intermediate players you may not realise it but have you ever tried drills for small kids? I was watching my sister who's 9 years old get coaching from Paul Kong, and it was inspiring!! The techniques though a bit childish actually build up the basics real good.

Two exercises which I can still remember from last week's training session with my sis and her training partner involved catching a lobbed shuttle with another shuttle in one's hand. One would hold the shuttle in the hand just like an ice cream cone and would try to catch the falling shuttle. This really helps you practice your hand eye coordination. My training partner and I who stayed back for a bit of a chit chat thought it was fun and tried it also! And I can tell you, it's not as easy as it seems. Sure you can easily catch one or 2 but can you do it consistently?

Another one which they did which I thought was quite good was something like a firing line. Each person would stand on the other side of the court with 6 shuttles lined up equally spaced on the service line. The aim of this was to grab the shuttle with one hand one by one and throw it in the opponent's court. This I thought builds up your recovery speed and tactics. Why tactics? Cause one can throw it anywhere on the opposite court!! So if you can make the other person run to retrieve the shuttles you practice some form of strategising :D:D. Oh yea not forgetting if you can catch a shuttle in mid air you are allowed to do so and throw it back even before it lands in your area :p:p:p:p:p.

Try those 2 exercises. Childish as they may seem, they are quite fun and I highly reccomend them :).

ainchekar likes this.
  2. [Twei]

[Twei] New Member

i need some help.

hi, i am still a beginner to badminton. i know i still have many things i need to improve, but like you guys said, i should take one thing at a time. it took me about a year to have "okay" clears. but when it comes to playing singles, i serve, my opponent clears, then no matter what i do next, he/she will end the rally at the next shot. our exchanges do not last long.

i try to always come back to the middle and be ready to receive the shuttle but i just don't seem to ever be fast enough. so i was wondering if it is my techniques and strenght problem (like if i had better clears, my opponent wouldn't be able to kill mee that fast) or is it my footwork?

also, i am having a hard time backing up. i don't really know what is the right way for running backwards.

thanks in advance. :)

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

this problem has various solutions:
    -be faster on teh clear: better footwork
    -recorver faster from hitting (get back faster)
    -make sure your clear are deap enough: push teh opponent completly back. or make a drop..remember: a devesive drop shoudl be tight (and fast) not just short.
    -when returnign from teh back court, don't go all teh way to your center.

4. [Twei]

[Twei] New Member

thanks for the advices! just that i don't really get the last point there. doesn't it mean that i should not react too fast, that i have to stay close to the back until i see where the shuttle is going to drop before moving?

5. ZoggeY

ZoggeY Regular Member

Hi! I love badminton and i want to keep playing it but i have a problem!I am so fat!I weigh about 80 kg and my heigh is 170 cm and i am 12 years old!Please help me!

6. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

used to be fat too

Few months ago i was overweight too. i weighted 75kg but because of badminton i now weight 57.5 kgs. and that was just 3-4 months ago. i just played and strated eating in moderation so i dont feel deprived when i was reinforced with my weight lost i totally got rid of unhealthy foods and drinks. i stopped binging. now i am already a vegetarian and its not as bad as it sounds. i do not eat fried foods as well. hope i was able to help...

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    start slowly but i'm sure you will lose weight.
    try playing singles, u will lose weight fast but start slowly

8. ZoggeY

ZoggeY Regular Member

Thanks cooler and jet 28!I feel better now:D

9. alaw2001

alaw2001 New Member

auditor / Accountant
    Thanks

" I hate noobs who stand like fools on the other side and then sprint like crazy to the net like roaches..."

Thanks.
    That's it. Great decription.

Hang on.... that sounds like me sometimes!!!!

10. jet28

jet28 Regular Member

clarification pls

regarding the 2nd drill, does one person do all 6 shuttlecocks first or one shuttle cock at a time. sounds like fun, want to try them cause my coach tells me i'm a bit slow and that i dont try hard enough to catch the return.
    thanks in advance...

11. darkpLayer

darkpLayer Regular Member

Student
    Good Advices.. Give more!

Good tips given... :D

Anyway, how much does swimming helps one on fitness? It seems to me like it doesn't help much really though.:eek: anyway comparing swimming with footwork drills, which one helps more?:D because my fitness isn't really dat great. so maybe i lose out e game in fitness.

help me man.. i am a weakling... :eek: :D

12. gatgeo Toribio

gatgeo Toribio Regular Member

Engineer(Civil)
    FROM Kwun

- focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills

:crying: now i know why i have so many joint pains,tnx Kwun gotta jog:)

gatgeo

13. Scoobz

Scoobz Regular Member

In terms of weight and fitness... Don't be fooled into thinking that because you are heavy, you are slow or unfit....

I am personally fairly unfit at the momet because I have been out of sports with several injuries.. My fitness returns very quickly though once training, so that should be resolved shortly.

Before injury, I was 85kg in weight and I'm about 176cm (is that 5'11"?). I am also 29 years old now.
    Since injury I am now about 90kg and some of my toned muscle has 'relaxed', meaning I am somewhat slower than I was but not drastically, the biggest difference is my stamina that has reduced.

At 85kg, I can run 100m happily in around 11.5secs and 200m in around 24secs... I aren't slow for sure. I am also pretty agile and this has come from many years trained as a dancer and participating in a variety of sports.

Even now, when I am heavier and unfit, I am still fast around the court when I need to be (although I struggle with keeping the intensity due to fitness).

I presently play the game with two friends... One of them plays for a regional football team and the other is training for a marathon, so happily runs 10 miles per day. They are both reasonable at badminton, yet I beat them most games... They both commented it is because I know I am struggling with fitness and so use strategy to win points when I can't win by speed or power.

What I hope this points out is that you can be over 75kg and still be fast, agile and fit... You fitness will improve with playing and so should your skills.

Keep practicing and tyr to enjoy the game as much as possible.... Set yourself goals (short, medium and long-term) and strive to achieve them.

14. liyux2

liyux2 Regular Member

Student
    omg... for real when i play singles i clearly don't smash as good as just rallying around... :mad: i guess i should play more games :p

15. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

I have been playing for about 3 years now and when i began, my friends told me to begin with the basics. That actually has been some amazing advice. Ive played some school tournements and ive realized how simple it is to use someone's lack of basics against them. For example th,ere have been some individuals who have focused entirely on increasing power to their smashes. The simple solution was to just net. I feel that it is really important to get the basics down before doing anything else.

16. NanoTech_13

NanoTech_13 Regular Member

n/a
    Something I did when i was beginning was take a piece of paper and write down the stuff that i needed to work on!!
    this really worked for me!!

17. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    I would say not necessarily. I think having the game feel is imortant, but keeping score is not. I tend to learn best when doing a drill where all that's happening is a normal rally, but without scoring. It allows me to focus on a specific area I want to focus on, without worrying about if I'm losing or not.

18. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    What it means is, don't be preoccupied with returning to the center of the court after each shot you hit. If you have correct footwork, you can get to any place on the court from anywhere else on the court without running back to the center after each shot.

Basically, speed in badminton comes not from how fast you run, but how fast you see the shuttle. The best recovery is just a one-step recovery, whether it gets you to the center or not. However, this recovery happens automatically due to how you've hit the shot.

19. Antokbali

Antokbali Regular Member

A racket stringer
    Video...

Where can i buy a video about badminton?

thanks,
    Antok

20. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I might suggest that game with the 6 shuttles to the club coach. You could have a competitive game where both players get 6 shuttles and are given 1 minute to place or throw the shuttles over the net. The winner has the least number of shuttles on his or her side after the minute. That would help with court speed, getting down low to scoop shots and tactics. Also if you did that flat out for one minute you'd be stuffed.