Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It would, but in my opinion the backhand clear is a very technical shot that needs to be taught by a coach to ensure it is learned properly. The movement is completely alien to the body. Furthermore, it is counterintuitive to learn, because the more you try to hit it harder, the more you tense, and the less relaxed and fluid the movement is, which ruins the shot. An inefficient smash can still be an effective smash, but there is no such thing as an inefficient backhand clear, because it wouldn't be a full clear.

If you look for a coach to teach the backhand clear, make sure they possess a technically correct backhand clear. Intermediate players can become good coaches with education and experience, but you need someone who has gone through the process of learning the backhand clear themselves to know what the hurdles are and how to overcome them.

LenaicM and Woesi like this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I agree ☝

3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Are there no coaches near you that you can learn it from?

Half of the possible shots you can hit will be backhands, and no player is a complete badminton player without a backhand clear.

I was watching some Junior players being coached last weekend. One player had a good BH clear, and wasn't as good with the BH drop. The person he played with was the opposite, a great drop and a bad clear. Work on it and become confident in it!

Key points in it are;
    the grip (adjust between backhand and panhandle depending on how far the shuttle is behind your body)
    Footwork
    Same preparation for clear, drop, smash (same principle as playing overhead shots on the forehand side). If your opponents see that you are going for a particular shot, it gives them more time to get to the right place and predict what shot you are doing.
    Relaxed wrist and fingers, squeezing at the point of impact for more racquet speed (and therefore power).

When you warm up for games, ask whoever is on the other side of the net to hit some to your backhand side to practice it. Then you can tell / show us any struggles you have with it.

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I have been practicing some backhand shots during warmups and thank you for the assistance !
    There are no coaches in my area, I live in Buffalo NY and I would have to cross the border to go into Canada for coaching.

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Less or way less than 10% of male players in clubs can backhand clear end to end.

What percentage do you think can?

And a lot have had coaching.

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Backhand clear:

Bevel Grip. Thumb on the bevel (the edge), like a 'regular' backhand grip, but slightly rotated. Google it for images to get a good idea.

Backhand clear is exclusively forearm rotation (supination), so no flexion or extension of the wrist during the stroke. To get the maximum forearm rotation it helps to keep the palm of your racket hand facing away from you, leading up to the forearm rotation.

In addition to the forearm rotation, some power also comes elbow extension. To get power from elbow extension, it first needs to be not extended. You don't have to bend it as much as possible (although you can), but your elbow should be a 90-degree angle at most leading up to the elbow extension. Coaches will tell you to lead with the elbow for this reason.

So first you thrust the point of your elbow towards where you'll hit the shuttle (with your palm of your hand facing outward), then you extend your elbow, bringing your racket hand closer to the hitting point, and finally you quickly rotate your forearm to hit the shuttle.

Following these steps should result in a relaxed fluid motion.

I used to have a pretty bad backhand clear technique even though I had plenty of coaches. Some coaches can hit flawless backhand clears without knowing the exact mechanics that go into the shot (the body can learn movements without the mind understanding them). I was lucky that one day when I was 15ish, a new coach addressed the backhand, and gave me these directions.

Focusing on having the palm facing outwards really helped me to eliminate wrist extension, and hit solely with forearm supination.

Within a few sessions I had completely eliminated my worst weakness. Over the course of years it got more consistent (and more powerful as I grew up) to become a shot I take pride in.

intrepid and Mason like this.
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

Good info above.

Might I add also:

Whipping action
    Planting racket foot at the moment or just a tad before strike
    Lean into the strike if possible but be careful it may go too long! If that happens then hit crosscourt which is usually the backhand side of righty players.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  8. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

Once I got to learn my backhand skill, I had a program that you can train by yourself and learn the mechanic of it which is hitting the shuttle upward to the ceiling with your backhand. Try to control and hit it high as you can. The bigger the swing and the brute force wont let the shuttle go any higher. Also, keep in mind that backhand grip only work when you play the shot that in front of you. Other than that you would need a bevel grip. Also, placing shuttles on 6 conners (I would say at least 3-5 on each) and practice your footwork from there would eliminate unnecessary movement that you are having.

ps. Hopefully, next year I have a high possibility to move back to the State. If I have a chance, i might go visit you and play with a little session and might be able to give you a little bit of advice that I learned from here.

Mason likes this.
  9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Hey that would be great ! also thanks for the tips

10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

10% or less can perform a solid backhand clear when well positioned. How many can actually perform a late backhand clear? Not that many.

@Mason did you consider online coaching? There are more and more options available nowadays.
    Some even do video analysis, and no it can't compare with actual on-court teaching, but if you have no options, it's better than nothing.

11. BadmintonDave

I didn't say perfect now, did I?

If a player can't do a basic version of every shot, then they aren't a complete player. Doesn't have to be perfect, just has to understand the basic theory of how and why to do a particular shot.

12. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I've played 7-8 years without coaching. What I did was practicing a shot during a game and not focus on winning. I tried to get the feel of the shot, adjust, retry, etc.. Takes time but at the end, I learnt almost every shots this way.
    We tend to focus on winning the game but when you don't have access to any coaching, that's the only way to improve. You will lose many points/games but will gain on the technical side. At least, that's what I did :)

Cheung and Zalmon like this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How do people prepare the racquet and arm before starting the stroke (backhand clear)?

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I didn't say perfect either. I asked what percentage can hit end to end, You might call that a perfect one. I think way less than 10%.can hit it end to end.

What would you say happens if a "backhand clear" is hit by somebody that knows "the basic theory" and rather than going "end to end" it goes 3/4 length. Against a half decent player. The point is lost!

15. BadmintonDave

And in the context of improving Mason, the standard of the club they play it is not what you are envisioning (no offense to Mason and Buffalo badminton club). You see from the footage that forehand clears aren't making it to the rear of the court.

I honestly don't understand your point. Are you saying it's only worth learning a shot if you can do it perfectly? Again make your situations relevant to the topic and improving Mason.

viver and Cheung like this.
  16. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

I agree with this too. I myself use coaching and play time to practice without focusing on winning( but you need to find a partner or group that is okay with this since most people dont enjoy losing) At the end, it is just a sport and we are not at national competition level there is no point in losing or winning. What matter the most is that what you have learn and experiences during the games. Tbh, looking at the level you are playing (no offense) with proper technique you barely have to rush. With proper footwork, you could float on court with ease.

Cheung and akatsuki2104 like this.
  17. Sigurds

Sigurds Regular Member

I know this isn't badminton related, but in the news in Denmark they've mentioned Buffalo NY being hit hard by the blizzard, so I hope you're safe Mason! And that you will be able to play badminton soon.

visor, Mason and Cheung like this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah we got hit with a massive storm ! 27 people died! We fortunately had a back up generator as our power went out.
    Here’s some videos of the storm and aftermath at my house. The regular plow trucks couldn’t even plow they had to use loaders to move the snow because there was so much and it was so heavy

visor and Cheung like this.
  19. viver

viver Regular Member

Glad to hear that you and yours are well. We also got our share of snow here but that seems nothing compared to your area. Stay safe.

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I felt like I played much better and have made some improvements . Here are my shots and one game. Any comments would be appreciated. I personally see a huge weakness in my footwork and swing on the rear court forehand that hopefully I can work on