Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Of course it's ok for you and to you only. What you think won't comfort any disappointment the players had felt. You don't seem to understand how important winning WC for the players themselves.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Its disappointing but are you go to rot in time and ponder with regrets. If he did, he wouldnt have had that many titles. There will be chances again next time though i'm not sure how Minions will bounce.

In 2017, it was their 1st WC. in 2018, they performed poorly after WC in AG but they got it and so it is easily forgotten. 2019WC.hmmm...

How important? Did LiuZhang and LiLiu or KoShin becomes better players after winning it?
    All these years only CaiFu and AhsanHendra that deserves it.

3. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Again 'cruel' is subjective. But I'm just wondering how you can think it's not cruel for LCW to not have any gold medals at wc/Olympic after 19 years, despite of how superior he was? It was 19 years, goodness! It was 4 olympic, I don't count how many WC held during those 19 years since WC wasn't held every year back then.

Silver is an achievement, but he deserved gold medals. Even as a non-lcw fan, I really hoped he could win one before he retired. Simply because he deserved that. Just one was enough to make everything up for him. But no, he didnt get it.
    If you still think it's not cruel, then try to think that about minions. Imagine it's 19 years later in the future, with minions winning silver over silver without gold medals, would you still say the same? I bet you wouldn't.

Yoji likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Important enough to be called "Former World Champions" in their CVs.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No one deserves anything if they don't win it. This isn't charity show, this is sport.
    I would be happy for minions to win silvers. Better than winning NONE.

samkool likes this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

That doesnt answer my questions.

Lucky Former World Champ in people eyes.

7. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

The current era is no longer what you win or what you don't win. There's no real champion or greatest. Its more on how much money you earn from playing badminton. I'm quite sure Lcw is way richer than Lin Dan cause Lcw win countless titles more then ld but just no Olympics gold or world champ to his belt where as ld capture both but win less SS titles

Yoji likes this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Lucky or not there will be only be "World Champions" in the record.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You don't earn much from the titles seriously. It's from sponsorship and bonus etc. Ask Yonex how much they are paying LD alone

10. konak

konak Regular Member

I think one of many ways to counter choi delayed serve is the receiver should raise his hand if choi not serve in the count of five.
    Lowered it, and then count to five again. if he still not serving raise it again. Repeat that as many time as possible.

It obviously will enraged umpire and choi, but the receiver win the psychological warfare. And the umpire will force choi to serve faster.

samkool likes this.
  11. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I
    I didnt say it's a charity.
    Winning silver is of course better than none.
    But you can't say you wouldn't be disappointed 'just' to get silver instead of gold in the finals, after 19 years.
    Let's remember how we (or was it just me?) were less happy & less hyped when minions were beaten in the finals (but still getting silver), at denmark open/BAC/France open?
    And those tournaments aren't comparable to WC/OG

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Basically i agree with this . I'm not sure about LD and LCW whether LCW is much richer because LD is from China and its huge market at that time where the govt apprectiated sports more than these days. How much he got from BeijingOlympic, god knows.

But, I only know Minions are way richer than LiLiu. But yes, at the end of the day its all about how much money you earn from badminton. In the past, it used to be glories but this Era there are so much potential. Look at past athletes that become poor, glories are useless. Do you think 1/2 WC will make you rich, let alone the Olympic titles in 90s... need to consistently win titles, be WR1 for as long as possible. From there, the sponsorship and fame will come.

#4372 Yoji, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  13. Matthew Evan

Matthew Evan Regular Member

after all this time just being a visitor, I'm interested in giving a little comment here
    1. Emphasis on tactics is the main concern to fix this pair. They must be aware that they are the main target to be defeated. They must add a surprise element to their game.I'm notice that they started to face anxiety when their opponents disrupts their usual rhythm, thus take out minion's pace from their game.Some pair can match minion's fast flat game (kamura-sonoda), han/zhou) or by playing passively, lift up the shuttle a lot and defend resolutely (yes, that yuta/endo as primary example)
    2.marcus must be a better all-rounder player. He becomes a weak point that can affect the performance of his partner. He must be more creative and brave to play in front, with more variations in his shots Also he needs to fixes his body language which reflects he is affected by the pressure of the game.atleast be calm like hendra :p:p.Dont show your weakness to your opponents:D
    3.I'm agree with you that the OG title can determined their future as a pair.If finally they can win it, i thinks they will atleast have one more chance try to win the WC but otherwise, time is running out especially for marcus. Next years will be make or break for them.
    4.Their coach needs to works in specific details of their game, especially in service situation (thanks you choi:p), or to find resolution to break immaculate defence like yuta/endo
    5.PBSI need to promote the youngster faster. Wahde and Bento is done.It's not right for me when you still rely on old guard like Daddies to cover minion

My all time MD fav, Tony Gunawan/Chandra wijaya. They're all rounder with excellent skills

wade and samkool like this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They had won the other 7 finals that year.. it was the only final they lost. They lost French Open final last year.. but they won 8 other finals last year. And they won 4 finals this year despite losing BAC final.
    It's hard to stay disappointed with minions losing in tournament finals, honestly.

15. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

No I mentioned that 'dissapointed' part when I talked about LCW & his 19 years of wait.
    I referred minions' losses in the final as 'less happy & less hyped'. At least for me. I wasn't dissapointed either with their loss; I was just less happy. But I would be dissapointed if that happens to minions for 19 years, in the big tournaments.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Singles and doubles are different. LCW alone is responsible for his results. While doubles are more complicated.

I guess it would depend on how minions perform in the tournament. But I'd prefer they get to final and lose it there (even if they choked:p)

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Number one is checked and done beautifully in other tournaments.
    Number two is probably mission impossible :p

18. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I think they came up with a new vibe (dont know if it can be classified as surprised element?) when playing at sudirman cup. They seemed content, but also showed many variations. Gideon didn't force to make points in one attack; kevin developed his great backcourt skills. Did they apply that style as an answer for horrible defeat from watanabe/endo, or was it just because of the slow shuttle? I'm not sure. But I'd like to see that style again

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    1. agree. it seems their only tactic is Kevin playing mind games by staring at the opponent and\or fake swinging at a shuttle flying out. I'm not against that, but, fanboys can't have it both ways: defending Kevin's actions vs. accusing a player of cheating by taking a long time to serve against them. all tactics are equal.

2. re. marcus's body language: i don't think people realize it takes subconscious mental energy to re-psyche yourself up from self-inflicted pressure...a much overlooked aspect of sports. btw, there's only 1 zen-dra setiawan. :D

4. agree.

kaffars likes this.
  20. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

you can cheat even if the officials say you don't
    to me they are cheating, to you they are not
    to me my opinion, to you your opinion
    that makes them crappy pair to me
    besides their achievement is not too good either