Trouble in BWF

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by starsa, May 5, 2007.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    jug8man, how about the articles from the papers, which I am sure you have access to?

2. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    So do I (have incomplete information). How about every other article in the past as well (which are the issues i'm trying to keep track of). Having just 2 of todays article would still be far from complete.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I don't think the Government of Malaysia is that vindictive. That would be Government interference and would discourage any Malaysian from holding top positions in any international sports federations like FIFA, Olympics Council, BWF, etc. as well as risking all Malaysian sportsmen and federations banned from international competitions.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Sorry, I don't understand the reason. International Badminton Academy just like those BWF centres in Saarbruken (Germany), Sofia (Bulgaria), and Guangzhou (China).

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/trainingcentre.asp

It's suppose to be a place for players from around the world to come and train together (those selected, and those interested)

But i remember one or 2 members giving bad reviews about the centres in this forum. :p

TBBMBB(N)

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I believe these two articles reflect the views of the other Council members (Europeons) views and are more indicative of what is the latest. We have been exposed to all sources (not all good) so let us hear the big guns out. Why the reluctance?

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

It depends on what kind of hankie pankie is going on.

If i was an international bank robber. Robbed Millions from Malaysia, and foreign countries) i'm sure my country would disown me and sell me off to the highest bidder (who would want to torture me in their country's worst jail). Malaysia would obviously tax me first of course. haha

What I'm saying once again (over and over again) is that it depends to how severe the government views the situation. Other than that....... it's just of stuff hollywood movies are made with.

**Important disclaimer : my reference to international bank robber should not be linked with any of the people discussed in this thread (and especially not yours trully ;) :p )

TBBMBBB(N)

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

which articles are we talkign about now? i'm confussed. no really. I must have missed on. Do share.

No smoke making machine here at this moment :D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sounds like you have them. why so secretive? post them and share it with us.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I saw the entire "plot" as I was seated just behind the banner and the railing. Someone was giving instruction by cell phone to the older of the two banner holders.

The police came in search of the holders and both were found in the end. Wonder whether they will take action as the banner ("of politics") must be unauthorized in the stadium and the two were supposed to have offcial passes. :cool:

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

haha, i just checked out that blog link kewsoo put up on post 153.

The blogger seems to have made a much neater score sheet. haha. Mine's redundant now. hoho. funny blog.

11. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Article from today's NST

Badminton World Federation: There was no coup d’etat

K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    Badminton World Federation’s vice presidents (from left) Robin Bryant and V.K. Verma, executive deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan, council members Roger Johansson and Anne Smillie at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday. Pic: KHALID REDZA

THE Badminton World Federation (BWF) has denied there was a coup d’etat to topple its president Kang Young Joong or that the world body is being run by an individual.
    BWF vice-president Robin Bryant said the decision-making process involves all 24 members of the council and there is no one person who can actually control the proceedings as mentioned by Young Joong.

The president, who was toppled by a vote of no-confidence on Saturday, said that deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan had been using proxy votes to finalise decisions and that he was removed due to his efforts to maintain good governance.

"The decisions are made by the majority of the council and the vote of no confidence is a decision made by 24 council members. The president’s statement is very disappointing although he is entitled to his opinion," said Bryant at a Press conference yesterday.

Another vice-president V.K. Verma was more specific, saying lack of faith and trust in Young Joong’s approach in decision making — where he allegedly did not believe in majority approval of the council — had led to his removal.
    "The no confidence motion was limited to the president’s approach on decision making, not taking decisions by the majority of the committee.

"BWF is run by a council of 24 individuals and a leader must respect the majority view," said Verma at Putra Stadium yesterday.

"There is no case of one man controlling the federation and the council members are not representing the countries but the game of badminton.

"I even raised a motion where I requested Kang to have a 15-minute private meeting with Gunalan and me to reach an amicable situation, where the president can retain his position while Gunalan continues under his current role.

"However, any chance of saving the situation vanished when Kang refused the idea and pushed for the vote of no confidence. He was given a chance but he didn’t take it."

Questions were also raised on the legitimacy of the bidding process in the moving of the BWF secretariat from Cheltenham, England to Kuala Lumpur where Gunalan was alleged to have leaked information on other bidders through a letter to the BA of Malaysia (BAM), and BWF chairman of international relations Roger Johansson said a panel has been set up to investigate the matter.

Johansson, who was the relocation committee chairman, said BWF reserved comments as the issue is pending investigation but said the move to Kuala Lumpur was crucial in BWF’s efforts to reduce operational costs and channel more funding to develop the sport worldwide.

"During our AGM in 2004, we decided that badminton should become a worldwide sport and not controlled by six or seven nations. Our aim was there should be at least 50 countries competing in the Olympics and this needed a worldwide development," said Johansson.

"Relocating the office would give us the additional funding and we needed to reduce operational costs including getting an office for free and we saw the biggest possibility (in Kuala Lumpur) and the decision was made during the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) on Dec 1, 2004.

"I know exactly what happened but this is not the avenue to disclose anything. We have a panel made up of our council members and we are sure they will come up with a fair report."

Gunalan refrained from commenting on Young Joong’s accusation that he is controlling the federation nor the allegations that he leaked information on the bidding process to BAM.

In another decision taken by BWF, council member Anne Smillie replaced Paisarn Rangsikitpho as the events committee chairman.

BWF stated that Paisarn withdrew because of family commitments but he later confirmed that the heated situation in the federation had forced him to do so.

12. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    Related story:
    Badminton: Azalina denies making statements

BADMINTON World Federation (BWF) has gently reminded Sports Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (right) that the Olympic charter clearly states that the government should not interfere with international associations.

Azalina had met BWF deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan and the federation’s former chief operating officer (COO) P. Ganga Rao on Thursday and it was reported that Azalina had asked Gunalan to resign.

There were also rumours that the Malaysian Government may cancel its annual grant of RM500,000 to the BWF and that Azalina had apparently asked the world body to relocate its office.

The minister denies making the statements.

BWF vice-president Robin Bryant said that the federation has always had healthy relationships with various governments and they have had the same with Malaysia.
    "We are an international federation and we maintain a good relationship with governments, including Malaysia, and we are looking forward to a cooperation," said Bryant yesterday.

"The Olympic charter stresses that international associations should be free of government interference.

"The relocation of office has never been considered and if at all there is a motion, it must be done during our Annual General Meeting (AGM) and must be approved by our delegates."

Gunalan admitted that Azalina had given some views and her advice on the current matter but refused to confirm his resignation was something she had mentioned.

"Azalina gave her views and advice, she has done previously, and I respect her views and also thank her for doing so. However, it is not fair to reveal my conversation with her," said Gunalan.

"I may be able to share what she had said if she is with me now. It was supposed to be a private conversation and I believe it should stay between us."

Gunalan also defended the decision to relocate the office to Kuala Lumpur as it’s in the best interest for the growth of badminton worldwide, and it would also raise Malaysia’s profile internationally.

He also said that there will be an administrational revamp in BWF and stated he will continue his executive duties until a COO is appointed.

Gunalan also brushed off claims that badminton is in danger of losing it’s place in the Olympics after the 2012 London Games.

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

which article in todays Malay Mail is Eepak refering to?

14. hsengsping

hsengsping Regular Member

I thought one of the grouses was that a badminton academy for international training was not set up as "promised". What I was suggesting was that instead of allegedly "advising a BWF official to resign" (smacks of interference) - it would be appropriate to say "whilst a previous commitment was never made, the suggestion of setting up an academy has merit and the Msian government will be prepared to support such an initiative once internal issues within BWF are sorted out based on moral principles commensurate with the requirement of a world sport governing body occupying the moral high ground in addition to concordance with rules and regulations and all game officials must consider the interest of the game first over their individual interest" - much subtler.

Msia govt at the moment strongly supports the idea of Msia being a higher education/training hub to the world: supporting an international baddie academy is just another aspect of "higher (sports) education" so no skin off Msia Govt's nose to do this.

15. hsengsping

The Msian Govt should stay as clear of this BWF drama as possible and cooperate in so far as providing details from its side about the package on offer to get BWF to come to KL when asked and if an enquiry ensues. Of course if "inaccurate" press commentaries appear it might need to become involved to set the records straight. But no more.

BAM on the other hand if it so desire and purely out of its own will, as a direct BWF national member is I think entitled to be an activist if it feels that BWF admin has gone astray with requisitioning EGM, asking pertinent questions etc etc all within rules and regs of the BWF course. That's democracy within a sports body.

Cannot deny that something pretty serious is going on with BWF governance and BWF is probably in or close to disrepute territory.

16. hsengsping

From Malay Mail

17. hsengsping

Another Malay Mail article

18. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Amen! This hits the nail on its head and a good reminder to those in WBF involving in this saga.

19. hsengsping

taneepak

I respect your analysis and reasoned views.

Council is obviously dominated by 1 camp. If the recent vote about discussing the letter issue is correctly reported, in fact a majority at the Glasgow BWF meeting wanted the issue discussed but was procedurally defeated and by use of proxy votes? That does not mean that individual national assoc. necessary support 1 camp or the other but lends an outside observer to speculate that council composition is not fully reflective of member assocs' inclination?

Your take?

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I would not go as far as to say that Council is this camp or that camp. The 14-5 huge majority against the president is only for a specific issue-that of the President making decisions without a majority decison of the Council. Strangely that same complaint about behaving like a tyrant was often directed-or misdirected-at Punch. I am sure on other matters Council could be equally for or against whatever matters that were discussed. To say that Council is a "gang" is an insult to the honourable Council members who have served badminton so well for so many years. You can go through the slate of Council members on the BWF site. These members are not rascals as some of you paint them to look like.
    Corporate laws require an AGM once a year. An agenda for an AGM, the sole reason for the AGM, consists of a list of items to be discussed at the AGM. By law, any items not on the list (agenda) that are discusssed or voted upon are technically illegal. All AGM resolutions are put to the vote. Proxy votes are as good as votes cast personally-that is the law. There is nothing inferior about proxy votes. I used to own stocks in some US companies and yes I exercised my proxy votes. As a matter of fact the old IBF in the 1950s disallowed proxy votes and was able to control the Council with less than 5% of the worldwide votes. This unfair voting system would land you in prison today.
    Council members are of course reflective of the w/w member federations. The international votes in an AGM vote them in. It cannot be otherwise.