Trouble in BWF

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by starsa, May 5, 2007.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No, I don't have them. I was informed by my friend who attended the semi finals and finals with me. He also mentioned something that was on either the radio or TV.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That is precisely right-nobody is greater than the sport. Perchance the Council echoed a similar position-that the Council does not work for the interest of the countries but for badminton. At the Council level you must think global, not country or countries.

3. starsa

starsa Regular Member

Heard that the council member from countries that decided to support Dr Kang were from China, Japan, Denmark, Austria and USA. Obviously Kang (Korea) did not vote and India abstained.

That leaves the support for the motion of no confidence coming from countries like Kenya, Nigeria, Mauritius, Canada, Greece, Australia, Indonesia etc.

Notice that except for Indonesia, all their other council members from the Badminton giants supported Kang.

Well Punch (Malaysia) also voted in support of the no-confidence vote. But does he truly represent Malaysia anymore?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Council members come from various countries but it would be wrong to say that their votes carry their country's position. All Council members should be above pro their own countries and should instead use their services for the game of badminton, even if this is detrimental to their own country. To imply that votes reflect a country's position will reflect poorly on Council members. If Council's voice is weighted more towards the badminton powers you mentioned-are you implying it should?-then the game of badminton will be just a small club with no future.

5. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed

Well, nothing wrong with using proxy votes, if used properly. But if you look at those who voted for the no-confidence motion, it seems most are poor countries (nigeria, peru, sri lanka, ...) - do u smell a rat ? Other than that, are those countries whom their own members or confederation members do not even like them. For example, I heard from the foreign coaches at AUS that Robin was not well liked. Same for HK not likeing Tong Wai Lun, Peru's rep not liked by PanAm members. India's Verma has recently been in a great row with Indian players. Haizz.....

6. starsa

starsa Regular Member

To add on to gitee's comments, Roger Johansson (Sweden) does not hold any position in Sweden or in Badminton Europe, Eraj Wijesinghe (Sri Lanka) is not even on the board in his own country and Anne Smillie is only the COO in the Scottish BA and not an elected member in her country.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

That is where you and starsa don't get it. Council members are selected to promote the game of badminton worldwide, not, repeat not, to represent their respective countries. They are chosen precisely for that rare quality of not behaving like a Swede or an Australian federation representative because they must promote badminton in say countries like Nigeria, Eastern Europe, South America, and not the established badminton-strong countries. If your preferred type of Council members are selected, you can be assured that the game of badminton will be a small club of 7 to 8 countries. Do you want this?
    How can you say that African countries don't count? This is precisely why badminton does not now have permanent status in the Olympics. If the minnow countries, as you call them, are treated like pariahs, badminton can say goodbye to the Olympics.
    In 100 years of badminton, we have not progressed beyond China, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Denmark. who seem to have a stranglehold on the game. You think this is good for the game of badminton?
    As a matter of fact, I would so far as to say that a pre-requisite of a good Council member is that they should vote anything against the established 5 badminton giants proposals in favour of the minnows.

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Really???

Then these minnows should have voted for a BWF headquaters located closer to 'home' than in Malaysia which is one of the 5 Badminton Giants.

I'm sure rent would be much cheaper and travelling cost much lower for the 'poorer less established badminton associations'

So Whose interest are the 'minnows' really fighting for here? There own or some one's in BWF?

9. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

The interests of the badminton community and promotion of badminton game as such

After this council has taken over, the questions in the front panel are

a. Has the number of tournaments increased ?
    b. Is the participating countries increased or still dominated with only few ?
    c. Has The grade and prize money increased ?
    d. Is the badminton been played by all countries and what is the percentage of the players ?
    e. What is the share of each country in terms of playing in the ranked and non-ranked tournaments ?
    f. Is the training centres been promoted to the countries where the badminton has not been available ?
    g. countries like india, srilanka, african countries are struggling their way to reach to the top 50 spots consistently and what is the initiatives done by the marketing and development committee done so far ?
    h. what are the council and vice presidents done to improve the badminton continent wise and country wise as their primary responsibility ?
    i. What is the olympic prerequisites on badminton and how are they achieving it ?

Every council member assemble and vote and disburse is not the objective of the whole thing. they should be accountable and be able to give progress reports on each and every development and monitor how many games are being played in each continent and is it increasing every quarter and see that the game is flourishing in each of the continents where they are representing and also moot the idea of badminton and make way for the players of badminton downtrodden countries.

Hope it sounds well in the betterment of the interests of badminton if the questions are going to be answered in the right perspective than BWF council hitting at kang or punch gunalan etc ?

10. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed

No, I am not suggesting that they behave like Australian or Swede at Council. What I am saying is the person in the Council must be in good standing with their Member Assn in order to be nominated to stand for election into BWF Council as per Clause 22.1 of BWF Statutes.

Elections​
    22.1. Nominations for election to Council shall be made in writing by any Member Association (MA) in good standing
    and sent directly to the Chief Operating Officer of the Federation so as to reach the Federation not later than
    the closing date published in accordance with Clause 17.1.

They must be a good member of the MA. If they are not involved in the MA, then how the hell would they understand badminton in the world when they cannot even apprehend in their own country ? So, all those not a member in their own MA's Council, they ought to be kicked out. So, if as per Starsa, Eraj, Johansson, Anne of Sri Lanka, Sweden, and Scotland should be removed from BWF since they are not Council members of their own country's BA.

I am not suggesting that only the big badminton countries be in the BWF Council. So, don't put words into my mouth. Thank you. ​

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    dozens of Chinese newspapers have published reports on this in the past 2 days. this is soon going to be stirred up in to a bigger and bigger embarrassment for the sport of badminton. all because of two immature power hungry officials.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The HQ move was a Council decision, not an AGM's. BTW the minnows probably will trust any Council member with their proxies than say the president of any national federation, for the simple reason that Council members are oriented towards the game of badminton globally whereas a president of a national federation fights only for his country. That is nothing wrong with that-both parties are doing their respective job.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

FYI Council members can be nominated by any member country, even those that are not their own. If an Australian is regarded well and trusted by the minnow countries, yes those minnow countries can nominate that Australian. It may sound strange but this is wisdom seldom appreciated. So your insistance that Council members must be 'Council members' of their country's federation is not practiced, and God forbids if it is practiced, as it would result in a Council that represents each country's respective interest and not the game of badminton globally.
    One of the VPs is qouted as having said in the local Malaysian papers that clearly says that Council is not there to represent any country or group of counties but to promote the game of badminton.

14. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed

Haizz..how come you still do not see the light ? Maybe you are too blinded by Punch. When they are put up to stand for election, they should be put up by their own assn. If they are not in good standing with their own country's recognised badminton association, what gives them the right to be nominated. How much does another country know about this person to nominate him. His nomination supported or seconded by another organisation, ok. But once voted in, they take care of the interest of the general badminton community , and not that of his own country, which should be the one to put him up. The putting him up by his own country is sort of recognition by his own country that he has a lot to offer to the world of badminton.

15. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed
    It seems from all the saga now that Punch and his bunch of Council supporters are working for the interest of badminton only if their own interests are taken care of first ? That's what all the arguments are about.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I saw..

..and read all those articles and reports on my way to, during my stay in and on my way back from M'sia:p...They're all over the M'sian newspapers..:p
    With the rate this whole soap opera is going, i wonder if Dr. Kang will yield and step aside and let another person take over the BWF Presidential position. It's quite clear, that there's essentially 1 person really "running the show", even with the support of the supposed Council. If, say, another person takes over Punch's current position (Deputy Vice President etc.), i'm sure Punch will still be "running the show".
    I'm curious, if Punch were to resign from BWF, i wonder how many of the current Council members, who voted for a vote of no-confidence for Dr. Kang, will stay and how many will resign??..:confused::p

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, that is not right. Any member federation can nominate a nominee from another country. Pls refer to the BWF statutes on this. It stands to reason why this is so. Say Sri Lanka, who probably has only one vote, puts up its own candidate for a Council member seat, do you expect him to be elected just by that miserable one vote of his country? Of course not. To be elected as a Council member will require more than one vote, by at least double or triple digits. Now this Sri Lankan, voted in by 100 votes, comprising one Sri Lanka federation vote and 99 other votes from other countries, has obviously been chosen to represent the sport of badminton and not to represent Sri Lanka. How can he represent Sri Lanka? At the Council level you are the world's representative, not your country's, and you must throw away your country's hat and put on a more 'UN' hat.
    Voting for elected officials of your country's federation is a different matter. For a country's federation positions all the votes are local-you would disqualify votes from say Denmark for the Badminton Association of Malaysia's position of president of BAM. For the Council the votes are international, as befitting the international responsibility of Council members.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If what you say is true then it is easy to throw them out within a few months. Look no further than the statutes to convene an Extra Ordinary Meeting to boot them out. But any voting is international and I have a funny feeling that it will not even get enough votes to call for such a meeting. Well then blame it on all member countries, in your words, "working for the interest of badminton only if their own selfish interests are taken care of?"

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I don't believe that clause 22.1 as shown by you has been correctly quoted. Some parts are your own contributions to the statute, or at least they are perceived as such.

20. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed

Yes I know what Statute says. I am saying it is put in my dictator to protect his own interest. It means those not welcome by their country's association try to curry favour those from other countries by buying votes. That's why it is very important to have one country to put up one's nomination. Then all other countries to vote. Once voted in, the person represent the sport of badminton and not individual interest. You carry the good name of the country and do not put the sport into disrepute and hence your country's name in the bad. By allowing other country, say B, to nominate someone who has no repute in his own country, say A, is like allowing country B to tarnish the reputation of country B, if A and all those countries bought by that person from B, put up and vote for him.