Trouble in BWF

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by starsa, May 5, 2007.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I am neither pro or anti Punch or anybody in the BWF. But It is in my nature to come to the defence of anybody who is accused, "tried" and villified, Kangaroo-court style, in this forum. Personally, I don't even know anyone or have met anyone in the BWF. The only one I know is the current GM of the BAM, who happens to be a son of my small group of best friends, and I have never talked or exchanged anything with him on any matter even remotely related to the past and current controversies in the BWF or on any badminton federation.
    Just go back to the Russian Badminton Federation case. If you search all the threads in this forum you would have thought that Punch was as guilty as hell. But that was not to be. In fact I would even say that getting rid of the RBF was a pre-requisite to badminton being allowed to continue in the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games-I know this will provoke a storm, but it will at least allow all to know the true story of the RBF case. I am sure we don't want to end up at the wrong end in this new round of controversy, just like in the RBF case.
    Let the BWF handle it. We should all accept their findings.

Linus likes this.
  2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Although I donot always agree with what Taneepak said, he has a valid point here.

It is one thing when we forum members discuss and debate if NSS is better than OSS, if Oval is better than Iso, if 2-knots strining is better than 4-knots etc etc......, it is quite another thing when a person or an organisation character and reputation is at stake. The former types of discussion has no real right or wrong answer, but the latter type of discussions, any demage done (whether intentionally or not) is quite unrecoverable.

I believe most BF members are civil-minded people and give their fair opinions. But there could be times our judgement is skewed by either our prejudice or our emotion that could be very unfair to the subject person or organisation who may not have the opportunity to defend.

Therefore I urge we do excercise extra care before we pass any comment on an individual or an organisation.

3. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    What does it mean?

i read everything from beginning of this thread. now i have my own opinion, this is all boring....

sorry but its an honest opinion of mine which not everyone will agree.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Best remedy is to keep queit.

5. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

High court judgement

Finally, the high court has squashed and dismissed the petition of GM/COO of badminton against bwf - the long awaited - deemed contempt etc etc has been unmasked now. it is up on the official site of www.internationalbadminton.org

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So...

..does that mean the "trouble" is "over"??..:confused::(:p

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It does mean Rao is sacked. Wether that represents the end is another matter. Interesting that even thought the Federation were wrongly named as defendants (i), they are still paying the costs (iv) [or have I read that wrongly?]

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The costs will be payable to the Federation, not by the Federation. Fortunately, legal costs, including High Court cases, in Malaysia are not as high as say Hong Kong.
    He can lodge an appeal, but that is another matter. Or he can try again with Plan B or Plan C. But chances of overturning a High Court decision are difficult and can be expensive.

9. starsa

starsa Regular Member

http://www.mmail.com.my/Current_News/mm/Friday/Frontpage/20070817090008/Article/index_html

BADMINTON World Federation deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan had grown accustomed to reading the flight of the shuttlecock but even a man of his stature must have been taken by surprise by the delicate drop shot executed by Sports Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said yesterday.

In the wake of an internal power struggle that threatens to throw BWF’s credibility off the baseline and the future of badminton in the Olympic Games into doubt, Azalina has advised Gunalan to perform the honourable thing and quit the federation.
    Azalina, who was instructed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to resolve the crisis triggered by the sacking of BWF general manager and COO P. Ganga Rao last month, gave Gunalan a piece of her mind regarding the latter’s alleged role in the relocation of the world body to Malaysia.
    Like the nimble shuttler that he was during his heyday, Gunalan retrieved the drop shot and flicked the shuttle instead to the BWF Council’s court.
    The council convenes in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow, right in the middle of the ongoing World Championships being held in Malaysia for the first time.
    BADMINTON supremo Datuk Punch Gunalan has been “advised” to quit the Badminton World Federation by Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said in the wake of an internal crisis that not only threatens to drag Malaysia’s reputation through the mud but also throw the sport’s future in Sources told The Malay Mail that Azalina had yesterday asked Gunalan to leave BWF as one of the solutions to quell the allegations that the Malaysian government had reneged on its promises which were made to convince the world body to relocate from Cheltenham to Kuala Lumpur in 2005.
    The message was subtly conveyed to Gunalan, who is the executive deputy president of BWF, in a big pow-wow at the Putrajaya Equestrian Park yesterday, ahead of BWF’s council meeting tomorrow to coincide with the ongoing World Championships in Kuala Lumpur.
    “The minister was really displeased with the whole issue because it has given the impression that the government had reneged on its promises. The issue is not only about the internal problems in BWF but also over Gunalan’s letter in June 2004, among which he promised US$100,000 (RM343,200) from Petronas as a one-off contribution, US$150,000 (RM514,800) worth of tickets annually for four years from Malaysia Airlines and a grant valued at RM500,000 from the Malaysian government if the world body relocates to Kuala Lumpur. Only the fi nal promise was kept,” said the source.
    However, when met after the meeting, Azalina, armed with a copy of the Danish newspaper, Politiken, which cast aspersions over Gunalan’s role in the relocation of BWF, said she asked the the Olympic Games in doubt.
    shuttler-turned-supremo to fi nd an amicable solution to several issues, especially the sacking of general manager and COO, P. Ganga Rao.
    “I did ask Gunalan about the alleged misconduct, one of which was the bidding for Malaysia to be the headquarters for BWF. I was told the promises in the bid were not kept. We were not aware of the details of the bidding and I asked him to explain.
    “He said that the promises were not kept due to the changes of leadership in the companies. I told him that the world now thinks that the government did not keep their word. Then I asked him about Ganga and he said he had nothing to do with it and that the council members were responsible for the action on Ganga,” said Azalina.
    Also present at the meeting were director-general of the National Sports Council Datuk Zolkples Embong and Sports Commissioner Tan Sri Elyas Omar.
    Gunalan declined to comment but it was believed that he may issue a statement after the BWF council meeting.
    Azalina also explicitly told Gunalan that BWF must put its house in order to prevent badminton being omitted from the Olympic Games.
    “I was informed that in the recent International Olympic Council meeting, BWF was told off. Since Malaysia is the headquarters of the world body, we would not want to have the dubious distinction of badminton being excluded from the 2016 Olympics. We would not want the blame to be pinned on Malaysia.” Azalina, who brought the BWF matter to the Cabinet, revealed she had received numerous complaints from various badminton associations claiming Malaysia had not kept their word.
    “In the letter dated June 30, 2004, it was stated that the Sports Ministry was supposed to grant working permits to the BWF staff, to persuade companies to become BWF partners and to have a BWF training centre in Kuala Lumpur. We did not promise all these.
    “I have brought this up in the Cabinet meeting yesterday (Wednesday) and the Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi) told us to solve the matter as soon as possible.” Malaysia’s bid was approved by the then IBF in December 2004 despite objections from various quarters as the late bid from Seoul was seen to be a better choice.
    The letter from Gunalan became the subject of intense debate for almost two hours at the BWF annual general meeting in Glasgow in June but an attempt to censure the long-serving offi cial was shot down as the delegates voted 87-95 that there was no urgency to discuss the matter at the meeting.
    While many of the top badminton nations, including China, Japan, Denmark and Malaysia supported the vote to discuss the matter, South Asian, South American and African nations, in general, voted against it.
    The issue provided a twist to a possible coup d’etat as rumours were rife that a group of senior executive board members of BWF were planning to seize control of the federation by moving a vote of no-confi dence against the president Dr Kang Young Joong at the AGM.
    Ganga, who also attended the meeting, said badminton is in the bottom four of the 26 confi rmed sports in the Olympic Games. “Up to 2012, badminton is assured of a place in the Games but there will be a meeting in 2009 to decide whether badminton stays or not.”

10. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

Firstly, Minister cannot interfere in the International body of sports. The relocation of international federation from UK - the Govt. of UK did not interfere and hence the sports minister can only comment upto the extent of government role in that and stop with that

Secondly, in other sports federations, there has been shufflings and govt cannot interfere in these things as these are internal matter and moreso, very specifically, the sports minister cannot question why COO was moved as she is neither a part of the constitution or belonging to the olympic committee nor any allied member to it

thirdly, these things are mooted further down to speak about the drift and gap between the punch and ganga and not about anything in specific on the letter or the bid letter or the email etc. This is a media hype given by interested persons to assassinate the characters of individuals and the federations and the issues are not pondered or attempted or initiated to resolve

11. sjeemsje

sjeemsje Regular Member

So,
    i saw the new press release on the BWF with a vote of no confidence against dr. Kang Young Joong. I have been following the row at the sidelines, but I am getting lost on all the latest developments, but these press releases are really difficult to understand and get a graps on the issue(s). Can someone explain to me like I am a four year old (thanks to Denzel for this quote in the movie Philidelphia) what is going on in the BWF????? Has Punch seized power?

James

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://au.news.yahoo.com//070818/2/1483m.html
    Saturday August 18, 11:49 PM

Badminton governing body rift laid bare
    An astonishing and unprecedented rift at the top of Badminton World Federation (BWF), the sport's governing body, has been laid bare.

President Dr Kang Young Joong accused his deputy Punch Gunalan of trying to usurp his position and said there had been serious talk the crisis could even lead to badminton being excluded from the Olympics after 2012.

In a statement read out by Dr Kang at the world championships, he said the BWF had spiralled downwards and its executive council had become the "personal kingdom" of a select few with the position of president "reduced to a ceremonial role".

"The few sane voices within the federation are stifled and suddenly the role of president has been usurped by the deputy president," he added.

"With the dubious sacking of the chief operating officer last month, the executive role has been usurped by the deputy president, completely against the tenets of the constitution."

Dr Kang told reporters the BWF had become "mired in darkness" and saw himself as "a candlelight".

Earlier in the day he lost a vote of no confidence by 14-5 at a BWF council meeting. But it would need an AGM or EGM to unseat him.

"I would like to categorically confirm this is a coup d'etat attempt with the sole idea of diverting from the real issues of poor governance," said Dr Kang.

"Every time as the duly elected president of the BWF I attempt to put things right I have been accused of being power-crazy but in fact it is the others who are trying to hang on to power by manipulation of the will of others."

Gunalan, a former player for Malaysia, was active in the transfer two years ago of the former federation headquarters from Cheltenham in England to Kuala Lumpur, one of badminton's strongholds in Asia.

But his role was questioned at the BWF's AGM in Glasgow in June and there has also been unease over the removal of the chief operating officer, who only joined in January.

Dr Kang said a local newspaper reported the Malaysian sports minister had asked Gunalan to resign.

"This is very unfortunate but my personal belief is the call by the sports minister was timely and necessary to safeguard not only the good name of Malaysia but also the BWF," said the federation president.

Gunalan will hold a news conference on Sunday.

A BWF statement said the executive council had undergone "detailed discussions about the issues surrounding the governance and focus of the organisation".

13. kewsoo

kewsoo Regular Member

Quote :

www.spoilsport.blog.com - Press statement by Dr.Kang, President

Dr.Kang has accused of Punch gunalan of following attempted allegations

a. Award of IT contract
    b. Distribution rights
    c. TV rights

IF we read through the lines carefully, these have opened out. These decisions were only taken with the executive board and council approvals and does Dr.kang attempting to say that he is not part of executive board.

If there is mismanagement or poor governance, or erroneous governance it is Dr.Kang responsibility to sort it out internally and not use media for doing these type of things.

Also, in the recent past, Dr.Kang is instrumental and mentoring the politics inside the BWF by triggering ganga rao through his 5 voters who has voted in favour of him.
    Evidence for this -

Prior to ganga - GM/COO assuming charge there were administrative issues , events issues but marketing/development/promotion was in the top agenda like training centers, superseries, 156 member associations scaled upto 164 members although there were slippages like russian federation debacle, draw issues, etc out of which russian federation alone was punch involvement but draw was events and admin committee involvement where punch was not involved. So using this, Dr.Kang mooted the idea of using COO designate ganga rao to destabilise punch gunalan using another malaysian and the media which was clearly evident by promoting a person like ganga rao in less than three months to COO position without citing any major achievements during that time to be elevated especially when a person is possibly and presumably in the probationary position. In fact the superseries draw debacle, in january ganga rao had to take the blame since he has taken over and he is supposed to set it right but dr.kang was quick enough to form his kitchen cabinet and rugs inside BWF

Secondly, dr. kang and his kitchen cabinet was using ganga to promote the idea of destabilising the BWF council in issuing notices as if dr.kang is not part of the council. Dr.kang is part of the council for promoting ganga rao as the COO but dr.kang will not be part of the council for other things is what dr.kang claims. STUPID CLAIM !! He was using his money power to plunge into and kill and destabilise the whole council constitution and play politics.

Thirdly, dr.kang is an industrialist as well as in badminton councils for many years. There is an allegation laid in AGM glasgow about a possible bid letter leakage and breach of confidentiality which is a drama enacted doctored and directed by him wherein one of the senior and responsible person is presenting the letter to dr.kang. It is a simple phenomenon that any thing outside the agenda of the AGM cannot be discussed. this letter should have been discussed in the executive board and council and the committee meetings held before the AGM meetings if dr.kang had the real intention of badminton promotion so that no commotions or unnecessary predictions could have taken place. Instead through his kitchen cabinet blew it into a big problem which is apparently evident in using ganga rao for all his personal ego and read out the letter as though he wants transparency in the governance. Dr.Kang - certainly is a matured and level headed industrialist to understand that solving issues, problems and concerns of the BWF is more important than sorting out ganga rao and other issues. Ganga rao is an employee and punch gunalan is an elected person like him. So it becomes the duty of president in the betterment of interests of BWF to resolve by redressal method or counselling method or mediation method or by reconciliation method to sort it out internally.

Fourthly, Whose approval or authentication dr.kang has taken to represent BWF about the issue of letter by punch to take it to guatemala and discuss it with olympics if he has the real intention to resolve the issue as cited by press statement. Also, if he had the intention he should have sorted out with the council and above all, the same AGM in2005 has elected him and same team with "personal direction of few or some " as quoted by dr.kang has elected him and if he is representing BWF at olympics the same manipulation of voting by proxy has elected him and if ever he has had the slightest intention he should have sorted out anywhere with punch gunalan than talking through media

Fifthly , ganga and dr.kang has met the minister as per dr.kang statement earlier and sports minister has met dr.kang at korea as per minister statement. Now in this whole debacle, if dr.kang has been a good leader he should ensure that he gets proper reply from badminton asia confederation inturn badminton association of malaysia about the authenticity of letter, and call for the co-ordination meeting with the continental confederation CEOs and the administrators and check for such governance problems in all the CCs first and then the member associations instead dr.kang was formulating a parallel BWF supporters and trying to divide and pose a problem for the council.

Above all, if the council has awarded contracts, council has taken actions, council member has allegations, dr.kang is responsible for the actions because, if he says that he is ignorant he is not fit to be in the position if he says he does not enjoy proper majority he has to step down and if he says that everything has gone wrong that means he is power hungry and crazy and now frustrated that all his money politics is in a SHAME and he has to resign before he is eliminated. Involving politicians like sports minister of Malaysia as his spokesperson is even more ridiculous for stating that he is supporting sports minister statement since he is the PRESIDENT and he has all the competent authority to issue a rejoinder stating who is sports minister to recommend and it has to come from the council and committee which he has not done. So he does not have colleagueship als.

These things may be chewable and laughing affair but for the world as such it is a SHAME and Dr.Kang has made fool of himself in doctoring the whole politics for which paisan, ganga rao has suffered.

Chair of events was sacked as per www.spoilsport.blog.com - Paisan has resigned as per the news inside since he cannot take up too many positions and never sacked . These sort of misgivings in favour of Dr.Kang has costed him this position and it can be dearer if he still does not prove himself to a leader of spirit and act on his own maturity than involving politicians and crooks to give a statement on his behalf.

Dr.Kang was thrown out by his own council and do you require an AGM or EGM to prove his position.

Shame on Dr.kang to have engineered the whole politics and now he will retaliate even with more shameful things using his power is what is in store ahead as per the BWF circles and reliable sources.

14. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed
    Even though you are President of BWF, what can you do when someone like Punch controlled and get majority vote in council to approve whatever he proposed. So, even though Council approved this and that, it's actually Punch and his people voting in favour and not necessarily sensible.

So, one cannot blame Dr Kang as he needs more council members to be discerning and not be puppets of Punch.

15. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

All of these are making me dizzy...
    Why can't we all get along?
    Peace!

16. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed
    I suppose the good ones want to get along. But then the selfish ones wanted to use their power for their own good. And hence, the breakdown in the organistion. Same for most commercial organisations.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

did anyone saw the big banner hung on the stadium (WC) that read"

PUNCH shoud quit

ROFL

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Attached Files:

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    we have faced a great dissapointing for our players failure.now,with the gunalan and ganga??
    What else can we hope for Malaysian badminton developement??
    TELL ME!!!!!!

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    It's interesting to see how some parties come so alive in debating a thread................ when i recall that these group of supporters had recently so strongly tried to silence the masses with fear of 'contempt of court'

TBBMBB(N)