YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's a bit like homeopathy. There is no scientifically proven background but still there are lots of people than feel an effect. Placebo? Belief? Who knows.

If you see the Rotational Generator system as a coupe of grams counterweight which is placed inside and at the end of the handle, then no, this cannot make a significant difference compared to the same racket without it. The (physical) effect is negligible.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The difference is that we do have the necessary knowledge of mechanics to conclude that this doesn't do anything. Well, anything beyond offering a tiny, marginal counterweight in some situations where you grip high and swing the racket in such a fashion that the weighted butt cap travels downwards. That's the only situation where it'll ever have anything other than a slowing effect. I haven't done the math to figure out whether the added acceleration due to gravity is more significant than the extra moment of inertia, but in any event, it is such a rare situation that it's really not worth the time. In any situation where the little extra weight is not moving downwards, it's either not influencing the motion or doing so negatively (I. E. resisting the acceleration).

Maybe the simple question you can ask yourself is this - why did rackets become lighter overall, with a slight shift towards higher balance points, if added weight at the handle made them faster? Wouldnt someone use that to make their racket much faster?

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

principle of moments.^

4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Agreed the trick to using the RGS of the Astrox lies in your answer - to get the true power and speed of the racket.

If you use it like normal rackets then it feels slower and less powerful.

5. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

Played with a 3U/G5 AX99. Here's my review. (String: BG66F, main 25lbs prestretch 5%, cross 27lbs prestretch 5%)

Overall, a good racket to use. Clears felt that solid punch and felt powerful (i even broke a string while just doing clears:/). Drop shots were okay, felt accurate.
    Smashes were on point, were pretty steep and had good power for measure.

This racket is quite slow when compared to the ZF2 I previously used...must be because the frame is more flexible. That being said, it is fast enough to play doubles, its not too slow, and its drives were good, felt speed in the racket even though i didnt hold the racket at the top.

Net play? Delightful. Shots felt controlled.

However, I do have to say (and I'm pretty sure @dtjovan agrees with me) that the smash sounded weak even though it was a pretty powerful smash. However, I am guessing this is due to the increased shuttle hold on the racket.

Overall, a good racket for singles players like me who play a controlled attacking play style:) really loving this racket but may need to find a spare for doubles as this racket is (imo) too slow for a dast doubles play style (which i like).

I'm not the best at reviewing rackets, in fact, this is my 1st review. So why not enjoy one of my favourite racket reviewers' review on the AX99?

Have fun, and I hope I've helped!!

PS. Im gonna get more spares for this racket! Just cant get enough of my new favourite racket:)

dtjovan likes this.
  6. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

and a bit off topic, will be changing string on AX99 tomorrow to a hybrid combination:

Main: Kizuna Z64, 25lbs, prestretch 5%
    Cross: Yonex Aerosonic, 27lbs, prestretch 5%

Will tell you if it is a good combination for the AX99:)

Cheers!

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Having taken a look at Yonex' site where they present it, it looks like a load of hooplah. Nothing substantiating whatsoever. Just a bit of marketing babble. I'm curious whether they actually employ an engineer worth his salt or if they just come up with this stuff on their own....that 'new carbon material combination' is almost exactly the same as what they presented on the Armortec 900 Power and Technique, btw. That was back in 2008...

8. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

I feel the acoustics on the astrox 99 isnt loud too. My smash and power clear doesnt have that thunderous thump i get with other rackets. I wonder if its due to new design or shock absorbing material that's muffling the sound? Not very satisfying without that powerful sound effect.. defo a con on sound!

dtjovan likes this.
  9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It's all NAMD lmao

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I don't know ... for me the AX88D is far better than the D10 or VTZF2

11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

As always, whatever suits you most usually is the "best" :D

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's is certainly possible. No one disputes that an Astrox racket might be the best option for any player. However, that RGS doesn't do anything. At least it's not that they actually add weight to the grip or that there's actually an active system in the racket - they just basically try and remove unnecessary weight from the racket, or focus it in the 'useful' parts from what it looks like. Which is nothing new or revolutionary. At the end of the day, you want most of the racket's mass somewhere in the head, to make the energy transfer to the shuttle efficient.

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The waggle technology was always dumb marketing. What they managed to do with the Astrox frame in general is really impressive. Thin cross section/shaft, solid feeling, good sweet spot, good power, and faster than most of the Voltric lineup. It's a real shame the AX99 has so many issues.

I don't think it's fair to call the Astrox rackets 'just another Armortech', because they have iterated and refined a lot of the design. The AX99 really doesn't do the line justice. I think the 77s were really good rackets, and people love the 88S/D. People are also supposing the 99 is a replacement for a Z-series, but I think there's a Z series yet to come for the Astrox line. Given the QC issues, I kind of expect the 99 will be quietly retired when the Z-series is ready.

14. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I think the RGS has something to do. Ok granted it will not give you additional speed or power. But I can vouch that my arms feels less tired using the AX88D compared to the VTZF2 or even the D10.

At first I thought it was a gimmick because of the reason that you explained. But pretty sure it alleviates some of the head heaviness when getting the racket to base position after a smash. It is easier to lift the head after a smash or defense.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're aware that this might just be because of the racket's specs, or placebo, or because one more banana that day....? I'll tell you this for free. It's definitely not the RGS.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

See? Exact same discussion as with homeopathy.

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I actually attribute the ease of use to namd, or just higher quality graphite. I’ve found using rackets like the n9, the bit that causes more ache is when the racket head flexes forwards too much after your swing. I never felt that problem with the ax77, even though it was definitely flexing well.

Quentin11 likes this.
  18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Just take a D10 ... hold it with a slightly higher grip ... rotate the thing in a relaxed manner ... and then take an AX88D and do the same thing. Feel the difference and consider that the AX88D is a much HH racket than the D10.

You guys are thinking purely in terms of weights on a balance. Momentum changes everything. Try it first.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I don't care if it is the NAMD or RGS or Aero. I just love the damn AX88D.

19. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

I absolutely agree with you on this. AX88D is easier to use than VTZF2 and I also just love that damn AX88D so much..! :D

Quentin11 likes this.
  20. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Guys, Finally got my AX99 4UG5 , that said I have all three latest astrox AX88S ( 3 U ), AX88D ( 3U )... AX88D took a lot of time to get dialed in and it took almost two weeks to really understand how I am gonna unleash the full potential of this racket .. Dude , AX99 4UG5 is the game changer ... I play doubles a lot and trust me from the first initial 2 hours play I got the positive connect with it . Clears effortless , smashes are not enormously powerful but enough to get a great placement ... Though its head heavy ( may be equal to ZF2 or more ) but overall body weight makes too maneuverable to compliment double games .. my 3U AX88S is nothing in front of it .. I am impressed with the repulsion power of this racket , I noticed that you don't need to use full swing while return any shot ( drive return or smash return ) small flick sends the shuttle back to the opponent's weak zone . Those who say it's sluggish is not totally true as I find it very easy to use or it is the one who fits in my style of play as I have been playing with head heavy rackets since so long . All in all, I am happy with it and who knows I might sell my AX88S to but another AX99 or wait for new NAMD release ?

Kingsley90 likes this.