YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Maybe you got used to AX99 easier because you have already done the work with the AX88D.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

1. You're comparing 4U with 3U 88
    2. You probably got the "lighter" 99

3. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Its not lighter , one can easily see difference w.r.t. my 3U AX88d . The 4U AX99 is more head heavier than 3U AX99. My 3U ZF2 looks same head heavy if not less. This is my first ever 4U racket and certainly looks similar to 3U . IMO -since NAMD is a different bread of material , people will take little time to get used to with this "shuttle hold" characteristics and will need to adjust their shots play .. NAMD is all about wrist play , those who use more of their shoulder will need an adjustment .. thats my personal view though.

Kingsley90 likes this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm very much aware of what moving mass does, thank you. I study this stuff, you know? :D I can guarantee you - adding mass will not make a racket faster. Not even Yonex is saying that. In fact, adding a weight outside the fulcrum of the movement will ALWAYS increase the inertia of the racket, regardless of whether it is below or above it.
    Added mass will generate more momentum, making it harder to stop. If it's lighter than another racket, that will make it easier to swing around, but you will need to swing it faster to generate the same impulse and thus shuttle speed.

Heres a simple, unchangeable truth - if you have put a certain amount of work into accelerating a mass, it will take just the same amount of work to decelerate it. There's no way around that. You can not change that fact by changing the racket. If you put all you have into a smash, you will need to put in exactly the same amount of work to stop the racket again. There is some influences, like air resistance helping the deceleration, but to claim that a different weight distribution makes a racket somehow, magically, easier to get ready for the next shot is pretty ludicrous. A lighter racket will be more maneuverable, and thus faster to get from point A to B with the same effort, but you will also need to move it faster to achieve the same shuttle speed when playing a shot, making it just as hard to decelerate as a heavier racket as the impulse needs to be the same. Now, shaving off unnecessary weight along the shaft will have a slight effect in that regard, but nothing noticeable if you keep the swing weight constant. That would be placebo, positive bias, or different setups influencing your perception or the actual racket. But it's not the RGS.

That being said, don't misinterpret this as critique of the racket, I have no opinion on that.

LinHalu, Yong and s_mair like this.
  5. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Haven't heard of anyone explain this correctly up to date. Why does the ZFII seem to hit harder than a FB? I'm gonna make an attempt to start it.

As said, adding mass does not increase the racket speed, but it does increase the speed of the shuttle. Leaving the mechanics of head heaviness, I'm going to try to make a first step.

It's best to think in terms of an elastic collision=m1v1 (racket)+m2v2 (shuttle)=m1v3+m2v4. Assuming the decrease in velocity in m1 is the same, v2 to v4 is gonna have a bigger boost with a heavier m1 than with a lighter m1.

Or in practical terms, think swinging a flashboost (68g with strings) on a golf ball (46g) vs using a club to swing the golfball. The golfball ain't going very far even with a full swing.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    But you ignore fully the stiffness and the person who hits. In golf the stiffness matching is the most important thing for choosing equipment. Even if a superlight racket has a slightly more flexible shaft the synergy of mass/stiffness is complete different to the mass/stiffness of the head heavy banger.

IMO both extremes have following result: I think that you get very quick with a superlight racket to the border were you physical can't swing faster, which result in less punch. The human body is here the limitation.

On the other hand you must physical very well trained to accelerate a head heavy banger without getting pain. IMO a FB is out of contest for a real explaination. It would be more interesting if you don't use both extremes. But a ZFII and a ARC11/Duora10 in contest. IMO it would be come more a personal factor which result in who hits harder.

I played opponents who could thunder rockets out of an FB as well as opponents who made me bored with their smash out of a ZFII. Mass and stiffness are very important in connection to the velocity which make them an effective chain or not. You can't ignore the stiffness, so we both couldn't also explain it correctly up to date. ;)

7. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

well there'd be about a million factors, stiffness being another one of the major ones.
    I'm only trying to take apart them one at a time.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    A million is a bit much, but stiffness is here an equal major key of a racket like the the mass. The punch don't only come from the mass and speed v, it come as well from the bend shaft due the lag and the amount of bending during acceleration which moves forward when hitting the shuttle which add another v component. It's not as easy like you think to explain with one simple equation.

9. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

It'll be enough to explain one factor affects it, whether the others one do can be for another day or for you to do lol.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Good attempt.

But the way Yonex has once explained it is not by momentum but by using kinetic energy,
    ie. KE = ½mv²

This is how racket speed is more important than swing weight.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#990 visor, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  11. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

So I just demo'd the ax99 4u recently and it felt like a sledgehammer with factory grip. Wrists started to feel sore the next day after about 20 smashes and I did not even use that much wrist strength. Would it be less tiring if I put 1 overgrip(yonex ac102ex) on it to make it less HH? Or did I just try a poor QC one that is too HH?

12. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

If it's sore it's good training! Keep using it! Overgrips personally had little to no effect for me. I don't think 4U can honestly be that hard to handle, might just take a little while to adapt to it, and you'll get tougher throughout the process.

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Yes, actually if you apply several layers of overgrip then it becomes even balanced and much easier to use.

offbad likes this.
  14. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    waste of time-- use leadtape as a base layer, THEN overgrips.

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Better idea. Don't compromise your grip size or overall mass and just learn to use it as it was designed.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

[​IMG]

Saru, llrr, offbad and 2 others like this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You can't kill them all. I would try, but I'm tired.

s_mair likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah. It's a chain. The mass and velocity effect how much the racket bends and unbends. The velocity also effects how much the strings got bend.

You made a simplified equation. You ignore the shaft and the strings during collusion. Both also effect the power. What you are saying is like hitting with plank with a higher mass than the other. The function of a racket is much more complex than that.

Anyway, that's the reason why nobody ever explained it well. I don't want to do it, because I made the the experience what works for me and what not. I'm not interested to figure out who can hit with which racket the hardest. Too complex. I need first of all a bunch of rackets and to do measurements to explain it in equations. A bit much work to be right.

konww002 likes this.
  19. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Hahaha

20. llrr

llrr Regular Member

This is just a terrible, terrible suggestion. He can easily transform the AX99 into a NS9900, so why learn to use it when he can change it to something he likes ;)