Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I don't see what LYB still sees in LXL/QZH.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Like I've said LYB has sort of become a changed man after CHN's London Olympic clean sweep - it's as if he has reached the pinnacle of his career achievement of a lifetime and he is now at the stage of self-actualization according to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Even when Du Pengyu first made known his intention to retire to LYB long before the Thomas Cup debacle, LYB didn't approve it and then when DuPY unexpectedly won the BAC'13 title partly owing to Chen Long's injury in the semifinal with Wang ZM, he felt heartened enough and encouraged to carry on but,unfortunately, later came the Thomas Cup downfall which hurt him real bad. Once again DuPY approached LYB for permission to quit but LYB replied that he would think about it, evidently still reluctant to let him go; however, this time DuPY didn't wait for LYB's answer and took matters in his own hand to announce his final decision, insisting he wanted out and returned to his hometown, based on a report I read.

You know, when LYB was criticised for the WD embarrassment at the Incheon AG where CHN was without any WD representative before the individual WD Final, he actually gave the excuse that being indisputably superior does not equate to invincibility, making no apologies for the failure save some regret.

When LXR for the second successive year stumbled at the final hurdle of the WC - for the Copenhagen WC incident, LYB merely said LXR was too tensed and couldn't play well - he not only didn't blame her but continued urging her to believe in herself especially during the Incheon AG for which LXR has expressed her gratitude and appreciation to Chen Jin and Zhang Ning as well. Enough said, all the above are just my opinions based on what I've read from the Chinese newsmedia.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wonder when Tian Houwei will finally make a real breakthrough in his badminton career.

Wang Zhengming as we know is already long overdue except that, unlike DuPY, he is not giving up and still want to strive for the Rio Olympics despite knowing full well there are only two spots available and both Lin Dan and Chen Long are set on going. I'm not sure if I should admire his determination but I do support his decision to carry on and go for it.

Talking about the Olympics, LYB the other week was saying that due to the new quota ruling of maximum two qualification spots per nation for each discipline, it will be extremely difficult for CHN to repeat the London Olympics unprecedented success of five golds and cautioned that it's not impossible for CHN to end up with not a single gold.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Suddenly thought of Liu Kai, remember him? The young man who impressed at the last CHN Open GPG and the BAC. Haven't heard anything of him for quite some time and didn't see his name registered for the Bitburger GPG where incidentally juniors like Liao Junwei, YOG Champ Shi Yuqi and WJ Champ Lin Guipu are listed.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In former times, LYB would have sidelined LXL/QZH or split them up or relegate them to the 2nd team (or worse still kicked them out of the national team altogether). Now he's willing to continue giving them chances to prove themselves.

On CHN MD, LYB is of the view that MD was never really CHN's strength for a considerable long time (I'd say since he took office as Head Coach in 1993), it just so happened that CHN was very fortunate to have two such outstanding men's doubles players in Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng to deliver the goods at team championships for several years, apart from these two there is virtually no one else in fact.

6. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Couple of thoughts

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDWFQJs9gI
    I just watched this WC preparation match where WZM won over Lin Dan. If only WZM could breakout in real matches. I still think he's one of the most talented players.

2) I wonder how long XC can last. Even WZM seems like he could be a good XD player. If WZM can't go to the Olympics for singles, he should have a try at XD. In some ways, his skill set actually reminds me of Zhang Nan.

3) Recently Liu Cheng has been looking really good in the XD. Maybe try to play LC with Ma Jin.

4) MD is just a total mess. LYB mentioned ZN/HW combo. I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see LXL/HW, LXL/Liu Cheng, and Hong Wei/Jun Kang, or even Lu Kai in the mix. Definitely need to find a new pair that works.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Heartwarming to know Wang Zhengming still has a small group of die-hard fans. In that WC'13 Simulation Match, even WZM himself was surprised at beating Lin Dan but,iirc, Xia XZ wasn't too impressed saying Lin Dan wasn't fully into the match and made more than his fair share of errors, uncharacteristically.

Your pt 2 suggesting WZM to take up XD is quite interesting, replacing Xu Chen who is not expected to last until Rio'16 which means Ma Jin needs a new partner asap. Sounds a good idea to me.

I too had thought Liu Cheng/Kang Jun is a good prospect but at the Copenhagen WC they were bundled out by a JPN pair in R1, so I put my hopes in them on hold for the time being - my best memory of them remains how they once pushed Ahsan/Setiawan hard in a close three-setter.

Well, 2013 was a bad year for Team CHN in LYB's eyes, who would have expected 2014 to be worse, CHN losing two major team titles in one year is almost unheard of in recent times. Let's see how CHN fare come 2015 with the Sudirman Cup on homesoil and the WC as well as the various Superseries.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think WZM suffers from the "chinese selection" to make some players look good and others look bad in the rankings.

I feel weird about Du peng yu, how can a player like that be in the national team.

at the BAC 2013, I think WZM should've beat DPY if not for the weird "injury". I don't know why LYB seems to push some odd players who seems not up to it and chain very potential players who actually can make a breakthrough.

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

The guy has one of the best smashes but nothing else.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Maybe, but at least he disposed of Kento Momota in two straight sets at the BAC'14 and the refreshing part, to me, is how he smashed the daylights out of every single one of his opponents, including Lin Dan who was sent sprawling or caught flat-footed, no mean feat that was.

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Need more videos of him and his games, I can't find any apart from that one LD game

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Future is looking pretty bleak and worrying for China badminton!

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

wonder how many other countries would happy with that 'bleak and worrying' team;

3 top 10 in MS
    3 top 10 in WS
    1 top 10 in MD
    4 top 10 in WD, and
    4 top 10 in XD.

according to BWF's listing on 15/10/2014.

not to mention the 3 current world no 1, and
    5 reigning OLY champions.

#173 AlanY, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    To clarify, more specifically, the men's side...

15. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

Like i said before, i'm sure the problem is within' CBA itself...
    I don't know, maybe 1 of these 3,
    1. CBA dont have enough fund to send their juniors abroad to get exp. If true, something fishy happen in CBA's body structure. :D
    2. CBA adopt PBSI's late 90' policy. Send the senior until they finish, if needed up to 35 years old. So CBA want to dismiss 1 or 2 generation to up their junior's junior to to world at least start in 2020 w/ hope another China golden generation (LD, BCL, CJ, CY/FHF) sprung from these junior's junior. :D
    3. China worry that badmnton' time in Oly is finish at Rio. So, they sacrifice itself to downplay their dominance and make badminton more equal in the world to convince IOC to still held badminton in Olympic. :D

Now, i'm really miss old time LYB...

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, high time for LYB to get really serious and come down to brass tacks with stronger sense of urgency.

I say, the rest of the world had better not hope for LYB to step down or be replaced at this time. Just imagine, whoever takes over him would most certainly find LYB a hard act to follow and, in order to prove himself worthy of the position of CBA's newly-appointed Head Coach, may go to great lengths and take drastic measures to not only set things right but also achieve awe-inspiring results, then for all you know Chinese badminton might truly become dominant one day to the dismay of the ROW.:)

17. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Where is Zhang Ning these days? I haven't been seeing her, when at one time she was ubiquitous in the coach's seat.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Her kid is probably 2-3 yrs old by now, so have to spend time...

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ever since LYB's new boss arrived in 2013, CBA has been in decline.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon