Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    I think Korean and Japanese pairs are good chance to meet in the final

2. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

My Prediction is:

MS: LCW
    WS: LXR
    MD: LYD/YYS
    WD: YY/WXL
    XD: ZN/ZYL

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    MS: LCW
    WS: WSX
    MD: LYD/YYS
    WD: YY/wXL
    XD: ZN/ZYL

5. zhuangcorp

Has the team for Asian Games be decided yet? If it were me, I'd send:

LD/CL
    LXR/WSX
    ZN/FHF, CB/HW
    WXL/YY, ZYL/TQ
    ZN/ZYL, MJ/XC

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

The team to be sent to Asian Games has been decided. Justin posted it some time back.

7. zhuangcorp

I really think Zhang Jun needs to be fired and hire a new foreign coach to coach MD. Chinese MD is just embarrassing to watch. They have no new ideas, try to do the same old broken strategies, can't hit simple net shot, have no gameplan for the service situations.

8. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    You are right, the results point to a need for a change. Chinas doubles game has been mediocre and straightforward making it easy for their opponents to read and overcome them. its been so long now and there is no improvement in their standard of doubles play. Look at the Japananes team. They have improved in all departments and its due to their Korean and Indonesian coaches.

Its very evident everytime the chinese doubles play you cant help feeling oh dear here we go again defend, defend and defend with no idea how to turn it around They do try as hard as possible but they cant break through. They feel psychologically and mentally weak facing their opponents.

Its time to add some foreign ''dna'' into their doubles play to give it some ''sparkle'' so to speak.
    Chinas singlers play was influenced by Indonesian returnees so there is a precedent for this..

:mad::mad::mad:

#128 antssantss, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Yongbo has revealed by way of explanation the reasons for the defeats of Wang Yihan, Wang Shixian and Bao Yixin/Tang Jinhua http://sports.qq.com/a/20140830/005496.htm - all of them suffered injuries that severely affected their systematic training.

It turned out that Wang YH pulled her thigh muscle during training at Shenyang, for a physical player like her, it seriously hampered her movement and speed.

For Wang SX, she had some health problems which required her to rest for 40 (forty) days and only resumed intensive training for the last 10 over days before the WC. (No wonder WSX looked unusually tired in the match with Sindhu).

As for Tang Jinhua, she injured her hand, the triangular cartilage plate, that's why you could see her unable to execute certain shots fully and effectively.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Asian Games is only a few weeks away. Here're my thoughts on the Chinese Men's Singles.

Lin Dan is still the hot favourite for the Asian Games 2014 and Rio 2016.

Chen Long is still the heir apparent despite what happened in Thomas Cup. If CL loses against LCW tomorrow (ie, WC2014 final), I think CL will still be the heir apparent since Du PY is gone and WZM is not very promising.

I guess Du PY realised after Thomas Cup 2014 that he had no chance to go to Rio as LYB can only send two players to Rio in 2016. In retrospect, I think Du PY's decision to leave was the correct one since he is 26 now, and there isn't much room for advancement for him whether before or after Rio 2016.

11. antssantss

Retired
    Thank You for the information. It explains a lot for their performance, Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all of them.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Normally, CBA don't talk about the players' conditions before the majors as that would more likely increase the confidence of their rivals.

Another point is, as I understand him, Li Yongbo is an exacting boss who expects the best from his charges and will never accept any excuses for poor performances except for injuries or sicknesses. That's understandable for CHN has so many promising players waiting in the wings and,most importantly, it's his duty and responsibility to maintain CHN's status as the badminton superpower or risk having himself replaced as Head Coach.

Remember, I once reported LYB saying that any of his MS players winning a tournament without LCW's participation doesn't really count for much in his eyes. That alone should tell us he's not one to give excuses for any of his team member performing below his expectations.

Also, early this year, when he summarised CHN's 2013 performance he was openly critical of the whole team stating that 2013 was CHN's worst performance in a decade. He put it down to the entire team resting on their laurels and generally relaxing too much after the LOG 2012 clean sweep, for which he partly accepted the blame.

13. antssantss

Retired
    Sorry to go on about this issue but just to summarise my main ''grudge'' points:

a) The succession plan/programme re the juniours is not great and as a chinese juniour I would be unhappy at waiting in the wings until I am 20 years old or when I beat LCW. Both targets are pretty demoralising to say the least.

b) The mens doubles are reaching a stage where the teams may feel psychologically inferior to their rivals; they lack the confidence and aggressiveness of the Indonesians; the efficiency and precisiveness of the Koreans and the determination and belief that the japanese have in their play. .

The young chinese doubles players have very good speed and smashes but something is very noticeably lacking in their play.

c) I also feel that LYB's comments are very demoralising for his players. You should not use LCW as a
    measurement of success. One, you cant get into the competition as a lower ranked player and another is that you are not given much chance to get into a tournament in the first place.

Lastly what are you doing about it? Some of your ''buddies'' are responsible foe this situation and the ''talking'' is over and changes are sorely needed.

I may be wrong but these are my humble observations.

#133 antssantss, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not to worry, after Liu/Qiu, the remaining CHN MD hope in the WC'14 , is quashed, Li Yongbo has come out again to express his strong desire to do something about the MD department.

Don't forget, MD is important in team championships such as the Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup and the Asian Games which CHN values a lot, even more than the individual championships.

15. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

While LYB only see numbers, wins and success -which is pretty typical for chinese - we can summarize the things he forgets: the interpersonal things
    This summarize the whole comment of antssantss, I think.

While a LD can stand out this attitude of LYB, others can't. Not because they're mentally really bad, but because they didn't sold their whole soul like LD did for the chinese military for example.
    Serving for the CBA might be a great honor, but don't you also want to be treated as a human?

However. Most Chinese were and are always performance-oriented, that's why we see this attitude in CBA too. It's an attitude which shows a lot of greatness. It's an attitude which raised the country. I also understand LYB's way. But this way also has a shady side...
    It should be a demand for the coach to find right mix between performance and human being. With statements like "if you don't win over LCW or win a tournament without LCW, it doesn't count", he just acts like a stubborn d*ckh... whatever...!:rolleyes:

(I have chn. roots, so don't call me racist or whatever *lol*)

16. zhuangcorp

What did LYB say he would change about MD?

LYB, please please please hire a Korean MD coach. Look at how strong and efficient Korean MD is, 3 Korean pairs in the SF and 2 in the Final. Korea has so many strong MD players, and their style seems very intelligent and thoughtful.

Even historically Korea has so many great MD players, Park Joo Bong, Kim Dong Moon, etc.

17. antssantss

Retired
    Justin you have an insight into the CBA and can tell me why there are no chinese participation in the Vietnam Open beginning today? There are quite a number of good foreign players and juniors taking part and valuable ranking points would have been earned.. It also provided a good opportunity for talented chinese juniors to test their skills.
    Please dont tell me they have just participated in Nanjing or Copenhagen. There are so many others like Lui Kai and juniors as well who would have relished a chance to be there.
    It really doesnt make sense at all>

18. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

How dare you to forget Jung Jae Sung?! :p

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LYB is very strict, demanding and sets very high standards for CBA , no doubt, but he is not without the human touch, based on my reading and understanding of him. CHN players nowadays are no different from others in the rest of the world in what they want and pursue and enjoy but in keeping with the Chinese ethos. As such they are quite open and outspoken in expressing their personal feelings, views and opinions, whether in social media or on TV interviews, well-known examples being Gong Weijie (ex-national player), Cai Yun, Wang Shixian, Lin Dan, and others.

Recently, after CHN's Thomas Cup debacle, there was an interesting article narrating how LYB and the members of the TC squad, particularly, Chen Long, Fu Haifeng, Xu Chen and Cai Yun commiserated with each other in a heartwarming sort of way, which unusually showed the human side of LYB. As he himself often said he is not only a Head Coach to the players but also assume the role of father figure and friend to them and take an interest in their personal lives. In fact, among his coaches, there is this middle-aged lady, named Pan Li, a WD coach, who is regarded like a mother by many of the WD players because she treated them like her own children in going out of her way to help them in their personal problems and caring for them, many of whom have openly expressed their deep gratitude to her - offhand I can recall some names Wang Xiaoli, Yu Yang, Tian Qing, Zhao Yunlei, Zhong Qianxin, etc; a very long article, over 10 pages (I'd have to do a search for these two mentioned articles, if necessary).

Just as telling is how he is willing to give plenty of opportunities and for prolonged periods of time to players whose performances are/were lacklustre, notable examples being, Wang Shixian, Han Li, Liu Xin, and a few other lesser-known ones.

As I see it, for an organization to be excellent, truly exceptional and continues to produce such magnificent results for so many years, you simply can't do without a strong and capable person to take the reins, one who has leadership qualities, influential, a motivator, a problem-solver, able to make tough, even unpopular decisions and take full responsibility for the consequences if any. Don't forget, CHN has no lack of talents, nobody is indispensable. LYB's job is not guaranteed from the time he was appointed the Head Coach in 1993 when there were other choices. Of course, being human, he has flaws, weaknesses, make mistakes. Anyway, I'm not his apologist, just wondering aloud in a fair,objective manner.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I 've no inside information; what I know are from the published reports and articles on the Chinese news media, sometimes from their social media, occasionally from friends.

My understanding is CHN usually don't take part in any tournaments one month before or after a major championship unless necessary or compulsory. This time, there is the Asian Games from 19-29 Sep.

As for sending CHN juniors to the GPG/GP, it's mainly to gain experience and competitive edge, not so much to win titles or earn ranking points. Now that the Nanjing YOG has just ended, it won't be so soon before CBA start sending their juniors to play at the senior tourneys.