Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

They are strung at different tensions (29 for the 3U and 26 for the 4U) but I try to alternate them as much as possible but yeah, the 3U gets more play time.

I don't know if I feel the Z-Slash's head heaviness but I know for a fact that it throws down a pretty powerful smash. Probably the best smash ever, maybe! But I'm sure I can not defend with with ease using a 2U Z-slash just as well because of the smaller sweetspot. For all other rackets including the ovals, I'm pretty sure I can defend well but definitely not with the Z-Slash. The Z-Slash is in itself a very different beast unlike no other (I think AT700 is tops on my list in this category but Z-Slash is right up there or better.).

#1241 Triptens, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Care to post a comparison between the 3U and 4U VT80? I'm guessing you prefer the 3U if you're spending more time with it?

EDIT: By the way, I'll be changing the grip on my 3U VT80 soon. At the moment, I have some thin Yonex over-grip wrapped around the original grip. For all my rackets, I almost always remove the original grip and wrap a replacement grip (I now use an Ashaway grip which seems to be great) around the wooden handle. This effectively gives a slightly thicker grip than the original grip, and seems to suit me perfectly. I haven't done this yet as I was making sure I wanted to keep the VT80 first hehe. Ripping off the original grip probably reduces its value a little!

#1242 ssj100, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Well, just got my 3UG5 VT80 yesterday and played with it, it was quite head-heavy, but what surprised me was its swing speed. Consider quite fast for a head-heavy racquet,,not much diffference compared to my nanospeed 9900 . This racquet had brought me to a new level in smashing and driving. But 1 con is that it tired me out quickly, I barely played 6 games yesterday.I could play about 10 games using nanospeed 9900...

4. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    I'm going to play with my VT80 again this Friday and Saturday. Then I think Ill have my real thoughts of this racket by then. If not I need more time to get used to it, but I'm also used to the VT80. (really close not yet)

5. Triptens

Triptens Regular Member

I must say it's not really because I prefer the 3U more but rather because I'm used to using 2U rackets most of the time hence the affinity towards 3U. I have 4 VT80 (2 of each). Both 4Us are definitely head heavier than the 3Us.

I always peel off the original grip (carefully) and put them aside...and when needed, re-grip the original grip for resale (it's a perfect fit anyways in the first place!). Usually, I just grip it with Yonex Strong Grap.

...therefore, it is why I said I need to log more court hours to determine if this (VT80) is it. Otherwise, it'll be sold asap:D.

6. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    really happy to see many of you enjoy playing with your VT80... i've tried one... very good in smashing and got nice feel. improve my drop shot as well.

but, i lose my defence too much using this racket (3U). smash to my back hand always kills me. after few session, i realize i'm not that good to hold this racket so decided to let it go. (>_<)

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Are you sure the 4Us are really head heavier? Have you measured them unstrung and with original grip? If so, can you state the numbers? Do keep in mind that if you use a little or less over-grip/replacement grip, it will change the apparent BP by a lot.

I personally think the VT80 is an excellent all round racket, but only if you can handle super head heavy rackets in general. Like many have said, it is a surprisingly fast racket despite having a "dry" BP of well over 300mm.

Again, if you can handle it, the racket will likely perform as good in all departments, if not better than any other head lighter racket. For those who don't like using rackets with BP's above 300mm, then it's not surprising that you don't really like the racket and get tired easily etc. For those who really enjoy using the racket and get a bit tired, I'd recommend sticking with it. Like with many things in life, after a few weeks/months, you won't get tired anymore, as you become used to it!

8. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I agree with ssj100. Before I switched to VT80. My old racket had a BP of 285mm (omg so headlight). after switching to VT80 was like OMG since the swinging timing is all off now kept hitting frame T_T. But im getting used to it now and less frame hits now. Hope when I play friday Ill be all right with VT80.:)

9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Let me be clear that I'm not saying that everyone has to like the VT80. In fact, I'd be quite surprised if any intermediate level or below player likes it. Even for advanced to semi-pro level, I think perhaps only 50% (or less) will like playing with it and will stick with it. From my overall observations, I think it's a brilliant singles and doubles racket for advanced level or above players. You only need to look at the pro-level and see that the VT80 is being used by top Mens/Womens singles and doubles players. But for those who can't handle it, it's okay too. Look at Saina Nehwal - from my understanding, she used the VT80 for a brief period, then switched back to her trusty Arc 7. In retrospect, what was she thinking? The Arc 7 is a completely different racket to the VT80, having a BP difference of probably at least 20mm. But then again, Peter Gade was using the Arc 10 and has recently switched to the VT80 - again, a rather significant BP difference, but he seems to be sticking with it so far.

10. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

so true & so agree! for almost two weeks (12-hour play) now i've been trying to love more & more my 3U4 VT80 (NBG98 @26Lbs) yet i love it but finding to slowly hate it as well. I realized VT80 has been depleting my power at very fast pace in which my wrist power can only last for at most 2 games (21pts system) with continuous fast smashing & back-to-back clear. After that, i really gotta switch to even-balanced rackets if i wanna continue until the 7th to 9th game without losing the winning chances. Having switched to even-balanced racket, my smashes won't be powerful as it were with VT80 (partially due to having lesser power on wrist? or the factor of racket itself?) but at least i could still hit many back-to-back clears without exceeding my wrist capability. (my current "friendly" rackets are Kumpoo Powershot 2300H, Victor Legend, & LiNing N50)

I need some advice here regarding getting myself NOT a backup VT80 (one of 3U4 VT80 is more than enough to drain off my wrist power in such short time) but instead a replacement Yonex racket in case i need to switch VT80 to some "forgiven racket". Should i get Armotec series or Arcsaber series? I'm thinking to get EITHER; 3U4 ARC-ZS, 3U4 ARC10, or 3U4 AT900P ?? which racket is more friendly for player like myself whom after 2 consecutive games would only have at most 40-60% power on wrist? (only happen if i use VT80, which i would still be using until somebody breaks it off!) Thank you for any advices!

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

You basically worked out the problem yourself. You aren't used to rackets with BP over 300mm. I think if you want to persist with using the VT80, you'll basically need at least a few months to get used to it. That is, you'll need a few months to get a stronger arm/wrist and/or better technique.

The AT900P is just as head heavy as the VT80, and you'll most likely have the same problem. The Arc 10 is much more of an all rounder, and may suit you better. The Z-Slash is generally not easy to get used to. But I guess you won't know until you try. Probably the only thing I can recommend you against doing is getting the AT900P if you find the VT80 hard to use.

12. oasis

oasis Regular Member

is there any significant difference between 3U and 4U ?

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, 4U is up to 10 grams lighter than 3U. Whatever that means in practise will depend almost entirely on the player + how he strings the racket + how he grips the racket.

14. oasis

oasis Regular Member

Oh thanks for the tip. For VT80 4U, any recommended tension to string?

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Again, completely depends on the player. Probably best to string it at your "usual" tension and go from there.

16. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    My VT80 is 3UG4
    After intensive use of VT80,I found VT80 makes my arm very tired.
    Honestly,if you aren't 100% fit and ready to play,VT80 will be very tiring and exhaustive to use.
    VT80 is a great racket to use,if you have a great stamina (and of course 100% ready to play)
    But it is very subjective and personal thing

17. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Smashing to the back hand will get most people, regardless of racquet. BUT, if your racquet foot(right-handed, then right foot) is forward, you can, most of the time, return the smash.:)

18. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    if you defend that way it seems like you're too committed to your backhand side
    you'll get into trouble if your opponent smash to your right side (forehand side)

IMO the best way to defend is to be neutral, spread both your feet in a line (align) with your racket in the middle (between your legs)

#1258 jump-smash, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  19. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    That's why I think a 4U VT80 will suit most players better. I have both a 3U and a 4U now, and find I play better with the 4U. 3U is a bit sturdier, but it's also a good degree more tiring. If I was a stronger player, I might opt for the 3U, but I find in doubles, the 4U is much better with those instant reactions.

On a side note, my G4 4U has arrived now. I will be testing all of the rackets on Monday. Just swinging them around and doing some practice shots in the garden, my initial sentiment is that I get a touch more power and control with the G4 in drives and regular swings, but better angles and power with smashes using the G5. Will know for sure on Monday, but as of now, they both seem to have their pro's and con's.

Also, I think you should practise both forehand and backhand defence. to rely on one or the other too heavily could really open you up to being exploited by the right player. If you watch players like Lee Yong Dae play, they usually defend against smashes using mainly backhand swipes. At least around 90% of the time. In-fact, on reflection, I think I also defend against smashes using a backhand swipe the majority of the time.

#1259 Naim.F.C, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  20. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    You can only extend your reach to both sides equally if your racquet foot is forward...try it, even without a racquet.