Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've secured one of these for testing next week (at the Liverpool Bonanza), and a review will follow, but I've already been clued in by a friend that I won't like it. However, I can't not try it!:D.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts. Can you also post your playing level and what spec rackets (including Balance Point) you normally use?

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Another 2 hour session and I think this will be my regular racket from now on - it's just very fun to play with and motivates me to keep in good condition.

I find it interesting that people "blame" the racket for being (more) "tired" with it than usual etc. If you find the racket too "demanding", you can either move on to a "less demanding" racket, or you can condition yourself to handle the racket. I have no doubt that at the advanced level, if your body is in good condition, the 3U VT80 is an excellent (perhaps one of the best) all round high-end racket that packs one of the biggest punches across all rackets (ever made) - you can get some ridiculous power from this beast.

4. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    You must be really deep in love with this VT80... >_<

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

If you read my posts from around February to April 2011, you'd see that I was one of those fans Yonex had lost. I had tried most of their recent "high-end" rackets and didn't think much of them. I very much preferred the apacs Lethal 60/70 and Tantrum 300. I was very skeptical about the VT80 when it got released.

Anyway, read my posts from around May 2011 to present, and you'll see that I've changed my mind! I've hardly used my apacs rackets in the last week since I got the VT80.

6. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    Congrats for the VT80.

You definitely feel the difference with VT80.
    VT80 is a great racket if fit in your hands and your playing style.

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Wind of change???? LOL :D:D

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I have lost count how many of your post, pointing that people are just chieckened out using VT80, while at the same time bragging your self as the Hercules. Its boring man.........:p You should record yourself and post it here for us to see and seek some inspiration how to use VT80 properly

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've got the thing in hand right now, and it's mental. 3UG4 (wasn't expecting a 3U in UK code!), dry balance is 302-303 but it feels a LOT taller than that. The frame is thin... there's NOTHING there! I don't know where all this top-end weight is coming from at all:). There is a slight thickening at 2/10, but not as pronounced as with the VT70; indeed, it can't really be seen with the naked eye.

Shaft isn't a stiff as I'd had in mind, and the golf club balance might soften it even more - assuming I can bend it.

I play 95% mens doubles/5% singles, and I'd call myself a solid C, but I'm incredibly fussy about rackets and have reviewed and owned a great many. My current go-to setup is 84g/270 dry (yes, 270) Trinity Pro.

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I second the last part! Video evidence to clarify his boasting! Lol.

On a side note, there's no doubt the VT80 is a powerful tool to those who can wield it. I think the problem is not everyone has the time to afford themselves the luxury of being able to "condition" themselves. Especially just for the use of a single racket. The truth is, with a more angular aerodynamic frame the VT80 could be just as powerful and head heavy, but also much faster and easier to use. It doesn't need to have to be more demanding to use, but unfortunately it currently is to all but the more intermediate or advanced player.

I do agree though, it's probably one of the most powerful rackets ever made. It really does pack a wallop.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes I also agree that VT80 is the more powerful racket out there. But that does not mean that people (who dont use it) are affraid to use it, there are tons of other things to consider.

And I also dont think that player should adjust to the racket, its the other way around, good player should know their style and hence also what racket to use. I have met many pros that said to me that they wont use this or that racket simply because the specs dont suit them, BUT never they mentioned that they have conditioned their body to use VT80 for example. So if one adjust/conditioned their body/muscle just to accomodate or to be able to play with a particular racket, I call them............hahahaha better not say it here LOL

12. faizyusof94

faizyusof94 Regular Member

still student
    anyone wants to open V70 thread?..i have one..im ur little brother here..hehe...peace :)

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Hehe, I'm just posting my thoughts. I guess I get a bit too excited sometimes! You don't need to be Hercules to play with a badminton racket. There are many women/girls out there who use the VT80 and I don't think they'd appreciate it if you called them Hercules hehe! I think it's all mostly about conditioning and technique. And I never said people are just chickened out using the VT80. As usual, you are putting words in my mouth. I am simply offering explanations as to why some people find it a difficult racket to use.

Again, who said anything about being afraid to use a badminton racket? Probably the only point I've made or implied over and over is that the VT80 will not suit many players below Advanced level. It's got nothing to do with being afraid to use a badminton racket hehe!

I also agree that the player should not have to adjust to the racket. That's why I haven't been impressed by most of Yonex's recent offerings and haven't been using them - just sold my last un-used racket recently (Arc 7). And also that's why I've heavily implied or stated that many people should probably use a different racket. Some rackets just aren't going to suit the masses, and I believe the VT80 is one of those. I think everyone would agree with me that it's not a beginner-friendly racket. Again, it doesn't mean they are afraid to use it - they just can't handle it, simple as that. However, some seem to want to persist with it, and that's why I suggested trying to condition themselves better, which may help. Even if it doesn't, they'd probably become a much better badminton player in general anyway - no one can condition themselves too much in sport.

No boasting intended at all. Read the above.

Talking about repeating points, this is a point you seem to keep repeating. Don't get me wrong, I think Yonex are a "marketing machine", but I also think the people they hire to develop their rackets are more qualified than all of us here. As I've said before, there probably is more to it than an "angular frame". Keep in mind that the shaft is already the slimmest one out there. Of course, I'm not saying that I know the exact (or any) Physics related to a badminton racket. At the end of the day, I think you feel it's slower to use simply because it's much more head heavy than you're used to, and it's got nothing to do with being "less aerodynamic". I've read quite a few reviews on the racket saying that it defends like the NS 9900 but with extra weight in the head - doesn't sound like it's "less aerodynamic" to those reviewers!

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Over the past week I have seen a (kinda sustained) increase in the number of "for sale" postings for the VT80 here on BC as well as elsewhere. I think this reinforces the statements made by many forumers (and Yonex) that the VT80 is a racquet suitable for advanced/pro players.

Its kinda a "use at your own risk" statement. The very fact that it is stiff and very significantly head-heavy tells me that if I do not possess sound technique, a certain level of strength and the physical conditioning needed to play at that level, the most I should fool around with this racquet is for an hour. Any more and I probably run the risk of harming myself physically. That is not what I play the game for.

My 2c per usual... :D

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I suspect it's not too much different from the "problems" with the AT900P or the AT700. These rackets have about the same balance point as the VT80. It's just that many reviewers are often stating/implying that the VT80 is an easier racket to use than the AT900P or AT700. Perhaps it's true for some (certainly is for me), perhaps it's not. I suspect we're seeing many curious people (myself included) wanting to try the racket out and see if they can harness the huge potential power from it without having to find it "demanding".

Thing is, out of a hundred beginner and/or intermediate level players, I reckon more than 50% (probably around 75%) will still find it too "demanding" or simply find it "not suitable", just like they find other rackets with "dry" Balance Points over 300mm "not suitable". apacs don't even have a racket that comes close to a Balance Point of 295-300mm, not to say over 300mm. I don't think Victor have any popular rackets with Balance Points well above 300mm either. Li Ning have the N90, but this doesn't sound popular around here either, or even among the Chinese Pro players (I only know of Lin Dan using it?).

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes VT80 is not for beginner or even lower intermediate. But even for any advance player they don't always suit VT80. So level of play is just one of the things to consider.

17. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Just get used to it. It's the thinnest ever and has all the newest tech...so get used to it. Adapt and have fun. Remember the old alum and wooden racquet...everyone had fun and got used to it.:) We're all spoiled.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I wonder what were the Balance Points and overall weights of those rackets? Would be interesting to know hehe. I know a friend who uses the 2U Arc Z-Slash and it's overall significantly heavier than my 3U VT80. He uses it very happily in doubles too, has great defense, and one heck of a smash.

19. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Whilst I may not be a racket engineer, I simply don't buy that. My guess as to why Yonex don't experiment much with frame shapes and designs is because they don't want to spend more on manufacturing costs and to cut down on R&D/development.

It's not just with the VT80 mind. I gave an example earlier of the 8DX vs the MX80. Strikingly similar in nearly all specs. Shaft length, shaft width, handle length, head balance, stiffness etc. But the MX80 is still a lot faster and easier to use despite having a similar weight. My only assumption as to why is due to the more angular frame on the MX80 which imo cuts down on air resistance. I think this is one area Yonex are falling behind.

Mind you, the VT80 is still currently my go to racket, simply because there's nothing currently as powerful as it with the same speed increasing properties (other ultra head heavy rackets aren't as thin, nor do they have as long a shaft). I do still think an ultra head heavy MX80 or BraveSword could end that mind.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Just seems a bit strange to me that Yonex would be skimping on "technological advancements" - I thought that's what they are renowned for (although in my opinion, they are more renowned for marketing hehe).

With regards to the 8DX and MX80, it's interesting that you feel there is such a marked difference in "speed" due to the more "angular frame". In my opinion, this difference in frame shape perhaps contributes about 0.01% to the effect of playing "speed" in practise, while the other 99.99% includes degree of head heaviness, overall weight, and arguably most importantly, technique/strength. Also, is the 8DX strung and gripped identically with your MX80?

Perhaps why Victor haven't released such an ultra head heavy racket is because they are the ones who are behind in the "technological advancements" required to maintain "aerodynamics" in such heavy rackets.

I guess at the end of the day, this is all purely speculation on everyone's part.