Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    MF does not come cheap I believe. Even in Malaysia where badminton talents are plentiful, certainly much more than Singapore's, and their budget is much higher, MF still needs more time to develop the top talents to become Olympic champions.

In Malaysia's case, perhaps too much is expected of him in a relative short time. If he were to become SGP's chief coach, it will take a much longer time to develop our talents because we have to practically start from scratch. We just do not have a large enough base to capitalize on his experience. And we probably do not have a big-enough budget to employ him just to benefit a few.

2. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Well if we don't bite the bullet and start, we will forever never know if we can or not!!
    I say go for it! We hv nothing to lose... what's the worse case scenario? Bottom of the heap? Ain't we at the bottom anyway.
    I Guess this is what is wrong with SG, keep thinking about worth it or worthwhile having this and that, do you think Jos parents thought hard and Long to make the decision?
    As Nike slogan says just do it! Go big or go home.....
    In the end, might as well stay at home and the SG Badminton fans can continue to dream and yearn to see a Singaporean on the podium..
    As a parent, go study my boy... don't waste your time, the association is not gonna invest in you...
    Vicious cycle....

3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

4. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    nice read....and good revelation. About time the people in the association are put out to hang...kudos to Soh on bringing all these to light, I didn't know the salary packages...but now yeah!
    High pay, no results and the people who get the blame.....you know who. Never the top....they sit there quietly and let the matter blow over and continue to receive their fat pay cheques. I think this have to stop. In the private sector, the head will roll. guess is not the SG culture.

You are right, I think $ is not an issue for SG, but these $ are channel to certain quarters but certainly not to for the welfare of the athlete...
    Really have to change...

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

If we are looking at short term goals, I don't think any top coaches in the world can help us achieve that. That's quite an impossible task, given how far away we are from Superseries level players.

But looking at long term, it's likely possible. Japan has done it.

The thing now is that SBA's management have to convince Sport Singapore to give more attention to badminton and therefore, more resources. Table tennis have proven that it can be done in some other ways as well, although not everyone is agreeable with the method - buying foreigners and converting them to citizens.

We now have 2 models to look at and study from - Japan and our own table tennis. What works, what doesn't, what's the cost, what's the benefits, what's the cons, etc. With so much info and our own experience, surely SBA and Sport Singapore can come out with something.

Thailand and Taiwan are possibly two other countries we may study from, however, we do not have as much raw resources (aka pool of talent) as them. So... that leaves us with Japan and our own table tennis experience. We can likely tweak upon those policies and planning to bring us to greater heights.

Loh likes this.
  6. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I am alluding to this....we need to start somewhere...and once you start, build the interest, and results starts to trickle in (hopefully) interest will be there, and slowly but surely the pool of players will increase, and talents will surface....
    look at those countries that you mentioned, where were they 15-20 yrs ago...at the bottom, and look at them now...reaping what they have sow 15 years ago...we have to do something NOW!!!

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do our people have the patience to wait that long, more than ten to 15 years to produce results? Meanwhile our competitors are also improving, some at a much faster rate than others.

Do our parents understand the demands made on their talented children and change their mindset? And willing to support their children and take the risk?

An Olympic gold takes a long time to deliver, yet a young man like Schooling can earn millions if he continues to make headlines. This is certainly far ahead of what ordinary professionals could earn. Parents should remember this possibility. Badminton stars like LD, LCW and others are earning millions even before they reached 35. They have earned their first million much earlier. The government has been trying to change the parents' mindset on education. That there are other pathways to becoming excellent apart from academic success.

What is the quality of our badminton top leadership? How passionate and dedicated are they?

Millions have been spent on our football talents, yet we have nothing to boast of even regionally. We employ top-notch foreign coaches and send our young talents to faraway places to train but we have not achieved the results we have targeted.

If we have a leadership like that in Athletics, you can say goodbye.

Sounds rather negative? But we need to get our badminton house and the badminton fraternity in order to start off with.

isben likes this.
  8. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Nice one Loh,

looks like just the few of us here who is passionate:) about SG badminton....is it good or bad ..:(, you :p, alien:cool:, lodoss:D and myself :rolleyes:.
    can the 4 of us help to run the show? Is there any way we can help... :D

Loh likes this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

lol. spidey wanna run for SBA president?

Loh likes this.
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    What about you? :p

11. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think I'm the armchair critic. :p

Loh likes this.
  12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  14. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    hahaha, elected president hor !! :cool:...oopss...SBA ha.

15. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Well if they need my help, I don't mind doing some work for them....but I dun think I can contribute much. I am a Finance person, maybe if they want me to look at their budget or forecast their cashflow, that I can do. Also maybe relook at their processes or procedures, internal controls .....this I can. But they will need to share some confidential stuff with me....hahahaha

16. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I wonder if they have a yearly or 3 or 5 years strategic plan....it would be good to see what they have in mind. Also, I always hear bo lui all the time, hhhmmmm....any cashflow or budget for us to see. Now this will show a lot of info....where the actual funds were used.

17. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

3 years is too short a plan less their kpi or goal is small or achievable.
    look at when ex-PM talk about goal2010 in 1999, giving FAS 10 years to accomplish the feat of getting into world cup, at a time when the lions is still strong in SEA.
    now they can only talk about co-host the WC to get through by the back door. (oops, talk about non badminton stuff again).

me too working in finance, but only a junior staff. so i'd offer my assistance to spidey.

18. Master

Master Regular Member

For the price that MF got from BAM:

The BAM, could possibly issue a huge payout to Frost, who was said to have been earning as estimated US$20,000 (approximately RM84,000) a month.

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2017/09/281264/bam-no-rush-replace-morten-frost

IMO, Malaysia have its own problem about not-suitable players-MF and/or coach-MF problem and using the achievement in short terms as a reason behind it.

Loh likes this.
  19. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    USD20K is not a lot if he can deliver the results that he has been delivering for Msia.
    If he can produce such results for SG, I think is money well spent....

I am sure we are paying some decent amount already and I see there is not much results in the past few years....if we can just bite the bullet and get someone strong in and revamp the whole thing....spend some $$, get the interest up, I am sure we will see something...
    let the professionals run the show, and trim the top, as a bro here says...:p

20. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    hahaha...so both of us waiting for the SBA President to call us. hehehhe.
    Mr Loh, you need our help, let us know.
    Btw, does SBA publish their income statement publicly for the public to view or the is there an AG report if they are align with their Internal controls?
    How do the public know that the tax payers $$ are being used appropriately and that there is no corruption or favoritism? Just like the Nparks case.....is there such report being publish annually and meetings open to show and share the income statement?

Really wonder....with the disclosure of Soh's case about the Athlete Association, I wonder how is the situation with SBA?

Or I is this taboo....cannot be mentioned at all....??? Anyone??