Zymax 65: Unimpressive

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TedOfNod, May 12, 2016.

1. TedOfNod

TedOfNod New Member

student
    I am an intermediate doubles player. I play an offensive smashing game, and I have a pretty good smash. I try to stay in the back half of the court, but when I find myself at the front, I do my best to outplay the other pair's front player rather than lift. That said, my game primarily focuses on smashing. The racket I use is a Voltric 5 strung with BG80 at 26lbs.

I've read so many reviews on Zymax 65 saying it's an affordable alternative to BG80. I have fallen in love with BG80. The hard feel, the power, the way it grips the shuttle, the finesse it gives me at the net. . .the only thing I don't like about it is the price. Almost twice as much as BG65 which used to be my string of choice.

I searched around in the forums and found ZM65, the "budget BG80." Heaps of power, good grip, great feel. Recommended to be strung a bit lower than BG80 because it's such a hard string. So I got a similarly balanced racket strung with ZM65 at 25lbs, which is 1lb lower than my usual tension. (Note: only the new version is available)

Not impressed. It felt dull, and I couldn't spin a shuttle as tightly as I could with BG80. Picked up an old racket with BG65 (which had probably lost SO much tension by then), and even THAT gave more spin than ZM65. Another thing: I generated less power with ZM65 with the 1lb lower tension.

I thought the problem was tension, so I got it strung at 28lbs (a review on the forum said it performs best at this tension). This made it feel a lot better, I was able to perform tighter net shots (probably the closest this string got to BG80). However, smashing, it felt like I was hitting with a plank of wood, and I could not generate power from it at all. After the session my arm was so tired. This makes me wonder if it was because of the vibration from the tighter string bed or the extra effort I had to put into my smashes. I concluded that 28lbs is not for me.

So I cut it out and had it restrung at my usual 26lbs. It's performing well, and I get a lot more power than when I had it at 28lbs. I've also learned to use it well at the net.

Here's the thing, though: when I put down the racket with ZM65 and play with the racket with BG80, I immediately feel the inadequacy of ZM65. BG80 is just so lively. And the grip I get with it makes ZM65 feel like a worn-out tyre.

So here's my experience so far:
    •ZM65 @25 = Dull, low power, poor at the net.
    •ZM65 @28 = Livelier, NO power, good at the net.
    •ZM65 @26 = Good enough--until I pick up a racket with BG80

Am I doing something wrong here? Both of the rackets I use are head-heavy, isometric, box-type frames. I've tried it at different tensions. I've tried white and yellow versions. I even use the same grip tape on both rackets.

From what I've read, I should be singing the praises of Zymax technology. I really wish I could love this string, but the best I can get from it is Good Enough.

Whether you've had similar results with ZM65, or completely the opposite, I'd love to read your opinions.

2. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

BG80 is basically the ultimate badminton string overall, and is virtually the choice of all pros who have the option of choosing. The Korean team uses it (need evidence of this one), the Japanese team uses it, the Hong Kong team uses it, LD uses it...

I'd have to say the Ashaways are way cheaper and a good alternative if you aren't a super professional though. BG80 ain't cheap, and you will break strings like no tomorrow.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Try ZM62 Fire. But nothing compares to BG80's hard feel.

4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    @Mark A & @paulstewart64 have evidence that the Korean team uses Victor string and not BG80 since they were the official stringers for all Victor sponsored players during the All Englands the past few years. Also they have published the string and tension of these players in this forum before. VS850 was the most common choice. I've attached the sheet from AE 2014 as reference...Still waiting for Paul to publish the 2016 chart.

Attached Files:

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    FME with Zymax, it really depends on the colour. I found red grippier than yellow and white, but red lost tension quicker. Just my impressions. Maybe I'm wrong.

Generally I think that if you felt in love with BG80, there is hardly anything compareable. RX110 is a slightly different tier of string, but would IMO the closest in terms of feel. Some people would recommend VS850, but it's IMO just a tournament string for 1-2 days due the tension loss.

About Zymax I can just say that 62 is for me the real deal. I dislike 65 and 67, too. About 70, we don't need to talk about... But why the heck cost BG80 as twice as BG65? You should be able to order it at HK for a decent price.

@DarthHowie It's pretty obvious that not all players have string listed. AFAIK some rackets came with sets...especially if you support the sponsored players you wouldn't do harm the company which supports you and give you the chance.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, you're not. You like BG80 more than ZM65. So do many other players. Use the one you like, and stop worrying about other players' preferences!

Incidentally, I would second Visor's recommendation. I feel the only good Zymax string is ZM62 (fire). Other people differ. For example, I know Paul Stewart (who is a very experienced stringer) loves ZM66 (fire). I hate it, and so does my coach.

Sometimes you need to take Badminton Central with a grain of salt. ;)

With the greatest respect to everyone here, this place lurches from one fad to another. There are lots of people here who love trying new kit, and enjoy analysing it to death.

One day the "in" strings are Zymax Fire. Then suddenly that's old and boring, so everyone's gushing about Li-Ning #1. After a couple of weeks that's become too ordinary, and now the latest hotness is Gosen G-Tone 5. And on, and on, and on.

This is an excellent place to get recommendations. I'm interested in strings too, and I try most strings that gets popular on BC. BC has helped me find some of my favourite strings.

But ultimately you have to choose stuff that you like. I have absolutely hated some of the talked-about strings here, such as Gosen R4X110, or even the classic performance string Yonex BG66.

And bear in mind there is a certain amount of marketing mixed in with the BC buzz. We have forum members who have a connection to a brand (like Ashaway) helping to market the string here. There's nothing wrong with that, and I feel they are generally being honest, but it's just something to keep in mind.

As soon as you start thinking, "this product has an amazing new technology, so I ought to like it", you have been influenced by the marketing.

mater, robfitsy, Fidget and 3 others like this.
  7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

... and so do I.

Different strokes - find what you like, then use it, and sod everybody else's two cents. The equipment chooses the player, IMO; you can't make yourself like something!

Gollum likes this.
  8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'm currently testing 66f at 31x32, it's horrible for me.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Trying out new strings is probably one of the easiest thing to do in badminton.

If you're your own stringer costs only $4-7 per pack. Add $10-15 if you pay a stringer.

So, yes, go ahead and try some of the new thinner strings like ZM62 Fire, LiNing #1, and G-Tone 5. @Gollum

#9 visor, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I didn't like any of the Zymax strings I tested so far tbh. Thinnest I've gone with the Zymax strings was 0.65.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh, I already have. ZM62F became my standard string some time ago. I tried LiNing #1 and found it...okay once it had bedded down. I have G-tone 5 in transit from MBS.

Right now though my favourite string is Aerosonic. I'm surprised how little attention it's received, given it's (a) ridiculously thin and (b) somehow very durable. It is somewhat chewable in the stringing machine though...

Like I said, this is an excellent place to get recommendations. It's just that you also need to make up your own mind!

#11 Gollum, May 13, 2016
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, our needs and expectations from our strings (and rackets) are different. Some may want power (which LiNing #1 has), some control (GT5), some sharp crisp sound (Aerosonic), etc.

Aerosonic for me was not rough enough for control. And the jacket was too fragile, lasting only 4h play before significant notching developed. Finally being so thin, it felt insubstantial on hitting... likely also due to less mass of the ultra thin string on my already low head weight racket.

#12 visor, May 13, 2016
  13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

^ This is an example of where I think BC needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

You are describing the strings as if they have these objective qualities. So LiNing #1 is a good string for power, GT5 is good for control, etc.

I think it's a lot more subjective. People have such different experiences with these things. All that really matters is finding something you like.

You're trying to turn it into a science, when it's really not.

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Agree with all the above.
    When reading a gushing review or a scathing criticism, anywhere in Badminton Central, one should always mentally add, "In my opinion," in front of every post.

That being said, it really is fun seeing how different we humans are ... even in the minutiae of badminton gear. You can find a member whose preferences mirror yours for playing style, racket choice, favourite player, most comfortable shoes.... but find they have completely different tastes from you in grips or strings.

Being an occasional stringer, I enjoy the luxury of ordering various strings. And because most of my recreational friends are coming with no string prejudice, the adventurous ones get to be my guinea pigs for new stuff. As for me.... nothing has surpassed Zymax 62 (old). Although I also like BG85.
    @Gollum GTone5 hasn't impressed on first blush, "IMHO":rolleyes:. Let us know your experience.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think it's going too far. Some strings have a main characteristic, which describe them in a few key words. That these key words don't always fit to somebody's impression is everywhere in the world where we try to describe something. Never the less these descriptions are not only at BC, they are everywhere in the world. Simple fact, the language is to limited.

Tbh, as a stringer, I have the luxury to try out any string, which I want to try, with less effort and less budget. They are strung by myself on a regular base, so my impressions don't must be congruent with everybody, but a stringer is good source to get a review of various strings.

Somebody who get jobs here and there will dislike a string just because a different stringer did something different. This is fact. So this person can't give impressions on regular base and these impressions are much more misguided than the impressions of a stringer.

At the end of the day, we must made alot of choices everyday. Many choice means stress to decide and a review can help or not.

I'm on your side, the best is to try and decide. This is expensive and means alot of own work, so people prefer reviews and ratings as indicator, as filter.

I also often not agree with others here, but this is naturally.

16. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

+1 on this. Aerosonic is a 0.61 mm string, which means it has no power. BG65 is way too thick for controlling the shuttle.
    Even OP says: " ... I couldn't spin a shuttle as tightly as I could with BG80.".

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... @Gollum

There's absolutely *no* science whatsoever in any of our descriptors when we talk about power, control, feel, crispness, etc. It's all purely by gut feel.

Even with stringbed frequency and head weight measurements, those methods do not replace actual subjective hitting, but are simply just limited tools to help us manage and deal with the variabilities of different stringers and different rackets.

Ultimately it's how it feels in your hands that matter most. But if we don't have any tools or descriptors to help us in our discussion of equipment, then kwun may as well shut down the equipment section of the BC forum...

#17 visor, May 13, 2016
    stradrider likes this.
  18. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I agreed with Gollum and Visor here. Way too many properties are being allocated to different strings, just from the package they come in.

Equipment manufacturers also overstate these things - I get a good laugh of Yonex "recommended strings" overview for all their different rackets!

There are so many things which will affect each players perception of a given string. There are the relatively objective ones (such as racket and tension), going over other aspects (such as how long you keep your strings, weather/climate, shuttlecocks used, etc), to individual differences in technique (how much and often you apply little or more slice to your shots, especially the unintentional slice put on shots due to mishits or difference in techniques). Short serve action also affects this. Some people hit their short serves very straight forward, while others cut the ball a lot.

By the way, I also feel that the perception players have of a given string, is often very random and/or subjective. You try a new string, and play a couple of good matches - it's the best thing since sliced bread. You try another string and loose a few games, have a bad week, or whatever - and the string is useless. Same goes for "power": I think the sound and the opponents defensive abilities means more towards the perceived power of a given string, than the actual shuttlecock speed. Why else would so many people say they get more power from a harder string job (with the same string), when they are in the 25-30 lbs range. (Like the OP of this thread).

So, my advice to all players are to do a little experimenting themselves. List your preferences and sort of circle in your choices (eg. I don't want to restring every week, or I don't want a hard feeling string giving vibrations because of injuries, etc.). Then go for the "recommended" choice given your preferences, but DO try other strings for the fun of it. Don't go from one extreme to another. Try moving a step or two in a certain direction to explore. Eg. don't go from BG80 rough hard string to BG66 Force or NBG98 slippery stuff. Better go to Ultimax or BG85 for instance. Don't compare BG65 and BGAS, because they are so different with may steps in between.

Simply tell your stringer what you are used to, tell him what you'd like from your string, and let him suggest alternatives to try out. Or do the same with experienced team mates, etc. Try other people's rackets, etc.

19. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Oh, by the way - I wanted to reply on the thread subject:

ZM65 (I've only used the red one, btw).

I'm actually currently playing this in my VT70, to try it out (@26x28 approx.)

While I don't find it to be the best thing ever to be invented, I must say that I'm positive about it.

It's almost as grippy as BG80, which you can also feel when you pull it.

It's to the harder side feel-wise, but not BG80 hard.

It goes on for many hours - fairly durable - due to it being approx. 0.68-0.69 string on the "Yonex scale".

I feel it keeps tension well.

I feel power/repulsion is fine (not BGAS level, but adequate).

And it's very low price per reel here - at roughly 60-70% the cost of a Yonex reel.

All in all, there's probably not a single area where this is the best string, but it does so many things well.

It's a string I would keep in my repertoire, and offer at 2$ less per racket than Yonex strings :)

#19 FeatherBlaster, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  20. Jayden_The_Idiot

Jayden_The_Idiot New Member

Did Zymax 65 fire feel like a 0.65 mm string like BG66um or it feel like a 0.67/0.68 mm string like BG85/BG80?