your badminton follies???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kelvin, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Since we're all players of varying skills, I'm just wondering what kind of follies, or other sorts of funnies you people have had during your life time with the sport?
    Any and all comments welcome.

All I can think of is putting 100% of my bodyweight & getting a shot perfectly in the middle of my strings, smashing the shuttle through the net, and nailing my opponent in the crotch inadvertently, and seeing him go down in pain.

That was during my crazy smash as hard, and as loud as I can days. (highschool...) It wasn't my fault the poor guy couldn't move out of the way fast enough! and the net was so poorly put together, and... yeah.
    anyways tell me some of your mishaps... we can all get a good laugh. :)

2. May

May Guest

hehehehe
    Me, I can't think of any at the mo.

3. Richard

Richard Guest

Yeah I got a strange one. During my earlier days, in one very nervy double match, when we were 14-13 down and the opponent was serving. The enemy hit a flat drive across and I jumped at it and miss it with the first hit, somehow I manage to pull my racket back and hit a net drop with my second try. Man, the enemy was so stunned that none of them can move. My partner was laughing so hard that we lost the match.
    richard

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i dont know if these are funny but they were at the time.

- several occasion the shuttles off my net smashes bounced off some bald headed guys. It make a neat sound.

- some show off kids think they pulled a close net on me and jumped ready to smash my easy pop up shot but i fool them with a cross court net skimming over the net tape. Basically this kid was in a jump smash position 2 feet off the ground while my return shuttles flew cross court some 16 feet to his left.

5. Quan

Quan Regular Member

BP(Badminton Player)
    I was playing at school and something hit me in the back, it was a raquet head fromt the court behind me.

6. cb

cb Guest

At this tournament in Nelson, BC one year, this older lady
    pulled the fire alarm by mistake. Apparently at her home
    club, when you pull a lever connected to a bird dispenser,
    a bird drops down for you. She thought the fire alarm
    was actually a bird dispenser!!!

The tournament was halted for 20 minutes until the fire
    department could come and silence the bell. The fire
    marshal, in a stern voice, told the lady they were going
    to have to take her in for questioning. He was joking,
    of course, but the look on the lady's face was hilarious.

7. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    This is a multiple folly:
    1. With about 3 months experience, I entered a tournament in Houston, Texas.
    2. During my singles match my opponent smashed at my right side, aimed at my lower leg. I turned my body to the right and whipped my racquet down by my side to try a lift to his back court. My racquet disappeared. I looked behind me, no racquet. Maybe I slung it all the way over to the next court. No, no loose racquet there. I scanned the gym, no racquet. Only one choice left, so I looked up. There, right at the top of the gym, 30 feet in the air, my racquet turned slowly and began to fall. I heard a guy behind me explaining to his girlfriend "See, he did that on purpose because he missed the smash return. Now he's going to catch it by the handle." Should I? No way, I can't embarass myself again so soon. So I thought, "What would my cat do? Just what all cats do when they mess up. THEY PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED!"
    3. So that's what I did. I stood there and told myself "I have no idea how that racquet got way up there. It doesn't have anything to do with me. I'm just going to relax and wait for it to come down." So when it fell I picked it up, hit the shuttle back across the net (CAmilla, are you listening?), said good shot, and continued.

The good news: A kind lady from the badminton club in my home town saw all of this, took pity on me, and invited me to join the badminton club :)

8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

This is a multiple folly:
    1. With about 3 months experience, I entered a tournament in Houston, Texas.
    2. During my singles match my opponent smashed at my right side, aimed at my lower leg. I turned my body to the right and whipped my racquet down by my side to try a lift to his back court. My racquet disappeared. I looked behind me, no racquet. Maybe I slung it all the way over to the next court. No, no loose racquet there. I scanned the gym, no racquet. Only one choice left, so I looked up. There, right at the top of the gym, 30 feet in the air, my racquet turned slowly and began to fall. I heard a guy behind me explaining to his girlfriend "See, he did that on purpose because he missed the smash return. Now he's going to catch it by the handle." Should I? No way, I can't embarass myself again so soon. So I thought, "What would my cat do? Just what all cats do when they mess up. THEY PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED!"
    3. So that's what I did. I stood there and told myself "I have no idea how that racquet got way up there. It doesn't have anything to do with me. I'm just going to relax and wait for it to come down." So when it fell I picked it up, hit the shuttle back across the net (CAmilla, are you listening?), said good shot, and continued.

The good news: A kind lady from the badminton club in my home town saw all of this, took pity on me, and invited me to join the badminton club :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    marshall, that's really funny, but can you finish up the story:

did you two live happily ever after??

10. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I played in a different league last summer that had an overabundance of non-competitive beginners and also had a point system for each player to determine in which group he/she would be playing during the second half of the evening. Originally, I started out trying to play very leisurely with the beginners and give them a lot of tips, but I soon lost patience with some of them who could/would not understand that if they hit a gentle medium height, shallow clear, on every single shot, it would get smashed down their throats. After a couple of weeks, I got pretty disgusted with these players who did not even try to understand the most basic strategies, and I changed my attitude about playing with them the first half of the night. To ensure that I could eventually get into some more competitive matches during the second part of the session, I had to play pretty aggressively, both to ensure a win and to end the game quickly to free up more time to play with more competitive players. Additionally, we kept up this ranking system for weeks, even when it was pretty obvious on the first night which players should have been playing with which other players.

On about the fifth week of this, I got stuck playing with the worst player in the league, a woman who was so lacking in intelligence or intuition for the game, that I seriously doubted that she had thoughts when she wasn't either talking or doing something. The two players on the other team had made some progress with their games, so they were smart enough to hit all of their shots to my partner, and none to me. We were actually losing, down about 12 to 7, when they finally hit a clear my way. I was so mad about playing with a complete dolt as a partner plus was mad about my own playing (I had a really bad night and couldn't hit anything), that I got a bit too aggressive and hit a really hard jump smash. As was par for the night, I did not hit it properly, with enough downward angle, and hit it straight into the forehead of one of my opponents, making a loud "bock" sound. I felt kind of bad because this woman bent over stunned, holding her head, moaning "Ohhhhhh! Ohhhhhhh!" for quite a while. At the end of the night, she had a red bump the size of a golf ball right in the middle of her forehead, that was still slightly visible the following week. I must have apologized pretty well because she didn't hold a grudge and laughed about it afterwards.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    lmao...

All of you have some pretty funny incidences...
    Oh yeah Kwun, what about you? :) Anything to share with the rest of the group?
    I can recall one more time, this was in junior high... (way back in the day. hehe)
    I was playing a doubles game with one of my best friends (at school), against these two up-and-comers from another private club.... (winterclub) these two were hell bent on smashing every shot they could... also because the fact they were about 4 and a half feet short, that was there only alternative since everything we hit back to them was basically higher than they're heads were... (I did not understand the importance of the high clear back then.).

We came near the end of this wild game, and all I had to do was return the smash over their heads to even just one of the back corners for the win... I got ready to return it, however, due to the fact that the little runt on the other side was so short, the shot came at me really flat...

None the less, I was stuck thinking about what a crappy shot it was and darn near forgot to swing... by the time my brain clued in to hit the shuttle, I made the forehand swing with my wrist, to try to pop it to the back, but to my chagrin, I had missed, and upon the relaxing of my wrist, I snapped backwards so fast, that I hit the shuttle back on it's way going to the back of the court, and crack... it hit the wall, I was like what the hell? everyone watching got a good crack after that, it was one of those things where you just had to be there.

Oh! I remember another one...
    A friend of mine had lent me his racquet to play with. An Iso 300.
    Earlier in the week, he had a huge collision with this other guy's Aerotus 55.
    Leaving a crack on his shaft.
    He didn't think it was anything, so he just put some tape around it, and left it at that.

During my game, I noticed a lot of creaking going on, anytime I went to make a shot... I was thinking that I was hallucinating, and that maybe the floor is becoming loose... (wooden floor).
    A few shots later, when I went for my classic super drive (I have an insanely fast drive that I can do, when I hit the bird improperly, and it almost never lands out! :)...)

SNAP!!! I brought the racquet back to my face after the shot, as it didn't have the usual power I normally get...
    Here was my thought pattern.

"Hmm... why does the racquet feel so light now?"
    I looked, and I looked behind me, as the racquet wizzed past somebody, and smashed up against the concrete wall...
    "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"
    All of my friends were like what the hell is wrong with you?
    I lifted up the racquet handle to show them... they were all like holy @#$@!!!
    and they ran to the back of the court, to find the remainder of the racquet...
    I had the unfortunate duty to go tell my friend his racquet had broken.
    I felt so bad, I really should have given him mine.
    Later he told me he had stolen it. (bad bad!!! don't do this at home folks!)
    So it wasn't a big loss for him.

The morrow of the story folks, is ... ah forget it I don't have a morrow.
    Brett, I'd hate to be playing as your partner on a bad day. hehe.
    Marshall try to hang on to those racquets :)

12. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Yes, but not with each other, because we're both already married at the time :)
    I will be forever grateful for that act of mercy, because I don't think I would ever have found people outside the club who are so expert and helpful.

13. May

May Guest

Heehee. reminds me of this: I was playing against my coach, who was trying to make improve on our smash, My friend turn came, she went, and on the first serve, he smashed it down, right onto his bald pate, and for somereason, after that, my coach kept getting hit on various parts of his body.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    LOL... maybe that affected his motor control??? :)

I have another funny story for you after playing last night...

I have this really goofy kid as my partner in doubles tonight.

He's a good 5 inches shorter than me... anyhow...
    Basically we were goofing off so much, and giggling so much tonight it through off our games completely.

There were two instances where I played the net, and I had just missed a passing shot, so my partner would make the return, from behind me, however due to his height, and low angle on his shots... his returns would hit my racquet right in the middle of the strings, as I was getting my racquet back into ready postion.

This happened on two separate occassions, and sent the bird off my strings out of the court behind us...
    We couldn't stop laughing, and same with the other guys on the other team... they're like "thank you Kelvin!!!"
    Oh my, tonight was such a weird night. hahaha.