Yonex vs Gosen. Advice please...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CrazeeY, Apr 5, 2008.

1. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    I'm interested in getting a new racquet cos i've been using my old Carbonex 8SP for 10 years n my hands itch to get a new one :p. (That's a good reason right?). So i need some help in my decision. Currently looking at Yonex vs Gosen. My price range is less than RM150 (can splurge to RM190) [~USD60]. Went to 2 shops in Penang n got quotation for (including string)...
    1. Yonex Armotec 150 (RM150)
    2. Yonex Carbonex 21 SP (RM180)
    3. Gosen Grapower 470 (RM140)
    I'm also open to any other recommendations.

From wat i see of the outlook in the racquets, both the Gosen n AT150 are newer technology (iso heads) while the Cab21SP is the traditional oval. As for the feel, all 3 are about the same but if had to rank it'll be Gosen, AT150, Cab21SP. The good thing bout the Cab21 is that it's made in Japan while AT150 is made in Taiwan n Gosen in China.

My stats are...
    Intermediate
    Offensive minded
    Prefer to play singles. But do play doubles once in a while.
    Advantages: Power Smash, High stamina for a girl, like to net play
    Weakness: Weak backhand, lazy swing

Plus anyone have any good recomendation of places to buy in Penang? Thanks in advance for those who are willing to share their time to read n reply this post.

#1 CrazeeY, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    No Help?

No one can help or have any opinions? :crying:
    Went back to the shop today n it's a straight fight between the Yonex brand vs Gosen. So maybe should ask a more general question of Yonex vs Gosen. Which is better?

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hey, what i feel is, since your budget is kinda low, you should get clones instead. They dont play any worser than the models you have stated. Get a yonex or gosen when your budget is much higher. That will make your money more worth the while.

4. speedy

speedy Regular Member

IMO the gosen is the one to be chosen in that price range. That should be in the mid end gosen racquet. But you are so used with oval. You'll need time to adjust the isos. By the way, some of the gosens are not really iso but only larger oval frame.

About the price of the 21sp, are u sure it is not cab21 special or something like that. Because the retail price of 21sp is over RM300 right now.

5. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Oops... So sorry, i think it's 21 special. :eek: Just realised the mistake. Saw too many racquets till blow. It has a dark blue frame. According to both shop owners, the Gosen n Yonex cab21 special is 'on sale' (not sure if it's salesman talk to get me to buy). Tot of trying isos cos it seems to be the newer technology n more ppl are using it. Tried my friend's Dunlop (something) 80 with iso n feel quite ok except that need a lil more adjustment to find the sweet spot to hit.

#5 CrazeeY, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm... Clones? Any special recommendations in particular? Wasn't recommended any by the sales ppl. Low budget cos still studying n just saved about RM200 to splurge. After reading ur post, maybe have to spend more. :crying: Cos I'm a staunch believer in getting a good racket once n for all. Plus Yonex is THE brand while Gosen has footing in badminton.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

which shop did you go to in penang?

i normally get my racquets strung at mighty sports on macalister road, he strings well but doesn't have the best selection of racquets. honest guy though.

finn enterprise behind masjid pakistan just off macalister road also has a decent selection of clone racquets, apacs and proace mostly.

but i think the shop with the largest range of racquets on the island is a little shop house opposite sunshine square, yeah, you have to cross the main road, can't seem to remember the name though.

to be honest, if i had a budget of 150-180, i'd get an apacs. they are good value for money and the reviews here so far have been generally positive. i reckon you should read this thread before you decide.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39002

as for the cab21 special, i believe it only comes in 2UG4 and i don't think it's suitable for a lady, but then again if you like your cab8, then i might be wrong.

i haven't heard anything good about the armortec 150, i generally wouldn't recommend lower end armortecs, i'd much rather save up a bit more to get a proper one.

haven't used the gosen before, so no comment.

hope this helps ....

8. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    The clones like apacs..will work good at ur budget.For the exact racket recommendation,try ask the seller,or read more reviews regarding apacs racket.Sorry,since i don't know which apacs racket that would suit a lady's best..:)

9. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    i'd say...save up for an armortec 500, if you're that inclined to buy a new racquet. Besides seeing as you just went to a store to see which racquet you can afford is not a good way of buying...you need to swing around with it and see what feels good. PS i'd never trust a clone racquet

10. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the shop recommendations. I went to Finn (Cab 21 special) n the shop on the same row (Gosen n AT150) as him. Think the name is Tong or something like that. Quite nice fella, very small shop, not very big collection on racquets though, his prices don't seem so bad either. Finn seems to have the biggest collection. Will try opposite Sunshine Square later.

Went to Finn to get my racquet strung n didn't really like the outcome. Maybe will try Mighty Sports next time.

FYI, Finn is having the one for one promo on Apacs if u're interested in getting.

11. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I was also worried bout the walking in n seeing wat i can afford style. But i did try difft models according to the sales ppl's recommendation. Feel that the Gosen was the nicest. He even bent the AT150 to show me how stiff n not nice the racquet is. Hmmm... Might have to see how the AT500 feels n the price.

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, finn's stringing is not the best, i used to string with him but i suspect he only personally strings it for his favoured clients, and gets his indonesian maid to string it for everyone else! the prices of his goods are decent though, and yes, i know he does a promo for apacs like buy 1 get 1 free on certain models. i have quite a few racquets already, so i'm not looking for one right now.

as for the at500, it is quite a stiff racquet, and so far the reviews have been good. it's going to set you back at least rm350 though.

13. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm... Probably should now change the topic to Yonex vs Gosen vs Apacs fo me. Since so many ppl recommending clones like Apacs. Hahaha... So any specific models that anyone can highly recommend for my style of playing?
    Was recommended by Dreamzz for Apacs Nano 9000 speed or Nano 900 power

14. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Hi, I own 2 gosen model, 1 is grapower 300ti, the other one is Gosen PKS. Grapower 300ti I think is just a raket for beginner. Gosen PKS however, is a relly nice racket. (I really thinks the tapper shaft really works ...) It can deliver a lot of power and also easy to manouver. I also own the apacs 9000 speed which is also a decent racket. But personally I like the PKS more.

I also have played with gosen FP 06 racket, which I thinks the better racket but the cone break after just only 1 hour of playing .....:crying: :mad:

Btw my current racket is Kason nanocarbon 1.0 .... :)

15. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Finally, a Gosen user! Thanks.
    Broke after 1 hour? Wah... So fragile! Scary....

16. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

i've got a gosen 6900. its good. do a search for the reviews.

17. speedy

speedy Regular Member

I think u should add one more : Yonex vs Gosen vs Apacs vs Kason.
    Kason has good reviews and recommended by one of the forumners above:)

18. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Oh no.... Even more choices? :confused: Hahaha... But don't see any Kason around PG. All the time is mostly Yonex, Gosen, Apacs, Wilson, Dunlop, etc...

Quite tempted with Apacs (actually very tempted) 85% of me tempted to try. Cos so much cheaper. But can't decide wat model yet. Another nagging feeling unfortunately is it's a clone n whether it'll be as good as the original n lasting. Even though have read many reviews n opinions.

Dunlop was also tempting cos buy racket get 7 free things (shuttle, shoes, grip, bag, etc...) for RM169. But Dunlop??? Know it's same as Carlton but still makes me wonder...

19. speedy

speedy Regular Member

To be frank, never tried apacs but heard so so much good reviews on it. One seller once recommended apacs 9000s or something like that which cost rm200. And according to him, that is a high end apacs, not a low end one. So, there are actually low and high ends even with apacs:)

20. CrazeeY

CrazeeY Regular Member

Student
    Yeah... Same thing happened to me when I went to the shop ystr. High end Apacs r the clones of high end Yonex like ArcSaber7, Nanospeed 7000/9000, Armotech 900. Just saw in e bay, a fella called racquet sports selling 2 Apacs for RM180 onwards which is really cheap. But prefer to buy from shops, so i can see the goods on hand.

Got many difft ranges of Apacs. So many models. Crazy!

#20 CrazeeY, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008