Yonex Thailand Unusual String Pattern?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Petrichor, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Petrichor

Petrichor New Member

Hi friends,

I got my racket’s grommets replaced and restrung at Yonex’s own shop in Thailand. Specified that I want it strung 2 pieces 27-29. Received the racket today and found this unusual stringing pattern.The question is, should I be concerned in terms of the racket structural integrity. I attached the expected pattern and the actual pattern here.
    Thanks in advance.

2. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

What do you find unusual about the pattern? Is it the position of the knot for the cross strings?
    If so that's a new thing the yonex stringing team came up with not long ago. They tie the cross strings on a cross string instead of a main string. Apparently it helps reduce string breakage when you have thin cross strings and thicker mains at high tension. I think they originally discovered that for aerobite strings but there's no reason not to do it on other strings really.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

3. Petrichor

Petrichor New Member

I'm have little knowledge on the subject. Yes, the cross tie off is at a location I've not used to. Used to be at somewhere on the top of the racket. New knowledge for me, thank you for your reply!

4. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

I wonder how they managed that, wouldn't there be a ton of string on the outside?

Petrichor likes this.
  5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Maybe at about 8:47 Mr. Willis explains it. I also use a modified version where I do like a zig-zag pattern from the last shared hole so I dont have a long run on one side.

At about 18:46 is where I do my version of this tie off

SirWabbs, Petrichor and DarthHowie like this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have been tying off at the 2nd last main string for many years. The advantage I see are 1) easier access to the string when tying off. 2) takes the knot away from the center main strings which is the ones at the sweetspot. If you wrap around at the top cross, the access to the tie off point is not that bad.

SirWabbs and Petrichor like this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kudos to the master who have no problem dealing with 2 hard weaves!

And that's' quite an elaborate way to get the last cross close to the tieoff.

Petrichor and kakinami like this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

You tie off on the main when you finish? Ever try tying off on the cross?
    What I learned from stringing at ATP and WTA events we tie off on our crosses because the main strings are the working strings, you dampen the mains with a knot so we tie off on the cross.

Petrichor likes this.
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That's the 2nd last main string on the side. It has little "working" effect.

While the equivalent cross string that you'd tie off on, is at the edge of the sweetspot.