Yonex selection chart

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Winex West Can, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

sorry i'm not english :( i should have say this is marketing.

i know but a light and even balanced racquet should recover better for fast double play so why not put the NS series in the double area. Cause putting racquet in the middle of the x axis make more buyer, single and double player :p

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Yonex selection chart of racquets is not a power chart. Yonex provides separate power ratings. For example, an MP-88 is rated a maximum for power whilst an MP-33 is rated a grade less powerful in Yonex's power rating. The selection chart shows the contrary.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yonex does have such a separate rating system for power, control, and flex. It is based on a 5-point scale. Perhaps you fellows are mixing the two up-the Yonex selection chart and the separate power/control/flex rating table. :D

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    nono im not mixing it up, im just saying that the 5 point scale isn't good enough. too many rackets are rated 5/5, which isn't very objective. its even harder to show it on a comparison chart like above, because rackets with 5/5 and 1/1 would have to be close together because their power/control ratio is similar... (ie. AT800OF and DE both have 5/5 on the table, but on the chart they're rated differently, but, people say DE has more power and less control than MP99, but its not the case in the table nor the graph) i think a 10 point scale (or even higher) would be better at comparing control/power on different rackets. the graph could also be modified so that rackets with 5/5 have bigger circles than rackets with 1/1, to show that they have good offensive AND defensive capabilities. same goes with flex. very flexible, flexible, medium, stiff, and very stiff are very subjective. maybe it should be based on a 10 point or higher scale

#84 SWC_Ant, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  5. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    It's quite weird that the NS8000 is so offensive on the chart, while it's head light. Is the nano-technology really that good? Or just a marketing-trick?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Ns8000 Chart

This is the placing of NS8000 among the other yonex rackets.

Attached Files:

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Actually based on Yonex's official chart NS8000 just became the no.1 offensive racket.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

What a remarkable coincidence! It just so happens to be their latest and most expensive racket.

And here's another coincidence - most players like to think of themselves as "offensive, hard-smashing" players (even if they have a pathetic smash). Must be something macho about it. Anyway, how convenient that the new racket appeals to the largest section of the market.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

anyone want to guess where the NS9000 will go?

10. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - we just need to wait for an almighty all-eclipsing splodge on the chart i suppose :)

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    no way! they'll probably expand the chart upwards some more and place the NS 9000 there :p

12. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    NS9000? Do you've got more info about it?

13. ants

ants Regular Member

He is just saying it.. :).

14. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    It puzzles me why Yonex in thai-site has MP100 as their nr 1 racquet when it comes to power (check: http://www.yonex-th.com/b_racket.php), whereas in the Japanese site NS8000 & MP100 are equal (check: http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/feature/mp/style.html). It seems like Yonex can't make up their mind about what's their most powerfull racquet :D . In real life this little fact has no relevance of course :p ... but sometimes it is fun to see how a big company like Yonex can be so confusing in their marketing. Perhaps they'll drop NS8000 lower on the chart when NS9000 arrives? Just so that they give us something new to speculate about :) .

15. schnapes

schnapes Regular Member

I have a thoery ...

Defensive/Offensive = Stiffness + Balance

(lets just say headlight flex is defensive and headheavy stiff is offensive).

Singles/Doubles = Overall weight

Though that doesn't really make sense as i'm sure the MP44 (which is the most defensive racket isn't really THAT light). I personally have an MP44 and i think it's a much better singles defensive racket than a doubles one, just not THAT light to be honest.

16. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

18. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales

19. JCanada

JCanada Regular Member

Being an engineer, I want to believe that there is more science and research that went into the design of YY's racquets than the trial-and-error approach implied here. And the consistent success of Yonex racquets world-wide shows that they do know how to make a good racquet.

Different aspects of a badminton racquet can be designed to different specifications. The more obvious design factors include stiffness of the shaft, torsional resistence of the frame, weight distribution, vibration damping, etc. By varying some of these factors, a racquet can be designed to be more suitable for offensive or defensive play.

For example, defensive players will probably prefer a light-headed racquet because it gives them the maneuverability they need in quick, defensive plays. On the other hand, attacking players will prefer a more head heavy racquet because, given the same swing speed, a head heavy racquet will generate more power than a lighter headed one.

With advances in material engineering, racquet design has become more complicated. Engineers can now design racquets without being bound by traditional trade-offs such as strength vs. weight. Unfortunately, this will cause some confusion amongst consumers who are used to associating one factor with another, such as light head = less power. A good example is with the technology used in the Nanospeed 8000, which makes it possible to have a lighter head racquet generate more power than a heavier headed one. Such is the wonder of advances in engineering, and I hope it never stops.

20. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    I think you guys are missing the point of the chart. It is a selection guide to be used as an indicator of what raquet YOU may like not the only raquet you can play with for only smashing or defence. In other forums I have read most people cannot agree on the power of specific models of Yonex raquets. Some people crush the shuttle with a MP100 while others say the MP99 is the best. I dont think the intent of Yonex is to rate the raquets specifically but to give you an idea on what type of player the raquet is intended for. Having said that you may all go back to trashing the chart. I think you will be better served by going to a Yonex demo night and trying the different models and deciding for yourself what is best. Hope the raquet you like best is the right colour of course and that your hero is using it!