YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Well, at least that's what yonex is marketing them to be, as a doubles pair. Li ning's doubles pair, n9ii and n7ii existed a little over a year before the two astrox 88 took their first breath, and they were the first to promote a power and a control doubles racquet pair. Aside from the minor specs differences, I personally love the n9ii/n7ii pair more, due to the better handling that I'm feeling. But nonetheless, the 88s/88d combo is a deadly force for doubles, so they all have their pros and cons. It's very subjective whether a player prefer the 88 combo or the n9ii/n7ii combo. All four of them are excellent racquets that I'm proud to own.

BTW, Victor is now following similar footsteps in their auraspeed lineup with the 70k and 70f, with the difference of k for male and f for female, but very similar power and control promote concept.

awin likes this.
  2. Konquerian

[​IMG]
    Your journey to the dark side begins...

3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Hey guys. Can anyone pls confirm what darth vader is using? Thanks☺

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

llrr, s_mair, esppy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Star Wars special from Victor.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

It'sMeMeMe, llrr, Monopoly and 4 others like this.
  5. Konquerian

Good one

6. Konquerian

And here I thought, I was the funny one .

7. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

Must be a new racket head design.. Not isometric or compact head but totally aerodynamic. Though I would figure he don't need a racket head when playing with the force. .

Shaft seems extra extra long too..

8. silvertoes

silvertoes Regular Member

Multimedia Designer
    Hey guys, which one is suitable going from Jetspeed S12, 88D or 88S?

my JS12 frame is sinking and I get an offer for a new AX88D for less MYR150.00 than a new JS12.. is it worth it?

9. viksharm

viksharm New Member

Can someone please advise where to buy ASTROX 88d 3U in UK. Everyone seems to be selling 4U.
    Thanks!

10. Monopoly

Monopoly New Member

Doesn’t seem like the 88D is being sold in 3U in the UK. Best bet is to buy it abroad or place a pre-order for a 3U Astrox 99 with a UK retailer as it has similar specs. There’s a few places that have it on pre-order, I usually use tennisnuts so I’ve left a link below if you wanted more info from them.

https://www.tennisnuts.com/shop/bad...onex-astrox-99-badminton-racket-1428180.html#

11. viksharm

viksharm New Member

Thanks a lot. Will look into 3U Astrox 99 then.

12. Monopoly

Monopoly New Member

No problem, hope you find the right racket! If you sign up for their newsletter, you can get £10 off the price, so that should bring the price down to around the 88D price.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

14. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

imo he didnt say much... it looks to me like he wrote the review, because he just want to publish something...

Btw I have Astrox 88S in 3U and 4U and I measured them.

3U = 96 grams (strings+factory grip+ overgrip)
    4U = 88 grams (strings+cushion wrap+ overgrip)

I am wondering how different they will be if I remove the factory grip in 3U and maybe add some weight in 4U so they will have same weight.
    Theoretically the 3U should be just slightly more HH than 4U, because in 4U the handle will be heavier.

Did anyone tried to do something like this? Making 3U and 4U to have almost identical weight.

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I certainly wouldn't bother trying anything like that. You'll have to add a ton of grams just to make it match and it would all be at the handle which would drastically change the balance point and affect how the racket is designed to be played with in stock configuratoon, especially since you want them to be equal weights. Your numbers would match it both rackets will not feel remotely alike.

The biggest problem with your idea is that the difference between 3U and 4U is the amount of material itself that goes into either weight class during manufacturing which is what gives it the difference. So whilst not 100% accurate, an acceptable theory that a 4U example of a model should for all intent and purposes play the same way as the 3U example, but with the advantages/drawbacks of an overall lighter frame. E.g. More maneuverability, less punch over head, lower tension limit, etc. etc.

P.S. Granted I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying it. Especially if the difference is a couple of grams at the end if it all. It just might not turn out the way you'd expect or hope that's all.

#2135 Ch1k0, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  16. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

Actually by removing the factory grip (weight 6-7grams) I will be at 89-90 grams with the 3U lets say 91 grams with some cushion wrap. So there would be only 3 grams difference between 3U and 4U. The added weight (3grams) of 4U to match the 3U. Could be in handle and on head as well (so I dont change BP too much).

Anyways I do understand that the extra weight on 3U is going to be probably in frame/shaft. I am expecting the 3U to be bit more HH than 4U even they going to have almost the same weight.

The reason why I am thinking about to try this, is that I prefer 4U more in doubles, because to me is significantly lot faster than 3U and also I love to wrist smash in the mid/front court with it, but it lacks bit of power. So I am planning to add some weight on 4U or make my 3U lighter to see what happens :)

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Try adding weight onto the 3 and 9 areas.

kulidone likes this.
  18. LeoWP

LeoWP Regular Member

kindly let me know the result too.

i am currently using the 3U and felt its a lil bit heavier for me while defending

19. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

If you felt that it’s heavy
    - sand it down (get a unfinished surface)
    - use smaller grip (prevent thick & heavy grips)
    - saw the handle (make it shorter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martynas likes this.
  20. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

ok, but it depends whether you removed already your original grip or not. Mine 3U is 96 grams, because it has factory grip+overgrip and I can make it less by removing the factory grip....

If you already removed your factory grip and have overgrip there only ... I dont think I will help you out :D

Imo making the handle shorter doesnt change the BP? and also I dont think its good idea to making your racket shorter.