Yonex Astrox 100ZZ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Junye, Dec 18, 2019.

1. cueteachme

cueteachme Regular Member

1U Axtros 101

2. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

from my experience, and i've tried lots of rackets, this would be what I would recommend to find the most optimal racket for a player

Find a racket that satisfies all of the below:

1. The racket doesn't feel too hard to play when you're playing on your off days. If the racket is beyond your level of play, you will literally feel your racket weighing you down, making your bad day 10x worse. If a racket is suitable for your level, even when you're having a bad day the racket will get you to think that "it's all on me playing bad." And yes, everyone has off days no matter how hard he trains, so this first criteria is absolutely essential. A racket too hard for your level will drag your play from a 5/10 down to a 2/10 on your bad nights. Those with a lot of racket experience should know what I mean.

2. The racket doesn't feel like it's holding you back when you're playing on your "on" days. Likewise, if the racket is too flexible or light for you to produce power when you're at your best condition, it means the racket is a bit too easy for you to play.

3. You can get used to your racket within a day or two after a long hiatus (minimum 2-3 sessions apart, if not months). The quicker you can get used to your racket means your natural swing is most closely suited to that racket. Be aware of this for all strokes, not just overheads - backhands, underhands, all types of strokes.

4. You feel like you can play any shot in your repertoire without thinking about it. Some rackets, if too heavy, will require you to compromise your stroke when playing stuff like overhead backhand, where most players have the slowest swing speed. If too light, it will require you to exaggerate your wind up during power strokes like smashes, since it lacks power. If too stiff, you will feel like you need to properly get under a racket and line up to produce any power, since you hit shots with mostly wrist/fingers/shoulders when in a rush, which suggests the shaft is too stiff for you to handle without using your core. A racket is best when it has you play as naturally as possible.

It's going to be hard to satisfy all 4 of the above criteria, but I suggest you at the very least find something that satisfies #1 and #4. Especially #1: trust me, you don't want a racket that you can wield only when you're playing at your best.

Unfortunately, you can only know these answers when you actually play with the racket, so you'll have to borrow or buy a 100zz to know for sure. Nobody really knows how the racket plays as of yet, other than testers and Yonex sponsored pros (you can try asking them i suppose)

Edit: FYI, you'll likely find very few rackets that meet all of the requirements above. I've bought close to 20 rackets over the years, and I can only say 1, maybe 2 rackets I've found that met all 4 of those requirements. Most times, most people are playing with rackets that aren't completely optimal for them, including myself. If you ever find a racket that meets all of the above 4 criteria, I suggest you buy a spare if you don't want to regret, trust me (bravesword 10 sigh)

#442 ChocoChipWaffle, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Fully agreed with your post!

@Coolkas All 3U except the Victor

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

agree & thats why i gather alot of information about racket as many as i can get. But when one of my friend already own it even if its good, i lost my mood on the racket:(. Maybe i just want to be different:D or maybe im cursed for having the ability to feel the different between racket that makes me become picky:eek: hahahahahah..... I remember my old dumb day. Didnt even bother its 2U/3U, HL/HH, as long the shop say its good for smash & i feel like holding it then i buy it:)

Well... Thats live & thats what makes our live colorfull:p "Live is never flat"

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Whatever the level (except real beginner) any racket could work. Because when the player is in good position to execute the stroke and use decent enough technique (take the shuttle high, be placed behind the shuttle, use pronation or supination, rotate the upper body, etc) it is not that hard to clear properly or smash decently etc.

It's when playing at a higher pace (not necessarily level but mainly at intermediate to advanced level) that a stiff racket can hinder one's performance because the opponent can exploit the court much better and as a result the player is often late to the shuttle or not properly placed or simply fatigued after a long rally. In this case a more adapted racket (at our level it's either flex, semi flex or stiff for double players) CAN help a player. For instance, on a tournament day (non professional) if one reaches the final he/she can play up to 6 matches. In this case good luck with an extra stiff racket during the final... :eek:

I never imposed others not to use the racket they want. Here were my points raised:

1. Asking why Quentin 11 would consider buying a racket if KM will use it or not.

2. How do users on this thread can tell with such assertion how the racket is less powerful than the DZS based on a Pro match watched on TV?

Players can buy and use whatever racket they like. That was never my main point.

(I'm not going to argue again about those points mentioned above relax... if some users think they can tell how a racket is after watching TV whatever...)

Kokai likes this.
  6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Again badminton for me is pleasure and as a fan of Momota I buy same equipment as him as far as I can.

Assertion? When I used Impression? Seriously dude, I get now why people on this forum always argue with you.

I'm out of here. We'll never get anywhere with this thread. I'd rather watch the pros play with the racket and get information from it (usable or not) than to read the constant word tweaking of @LenaicM

7. ChocoChipWaffle

I actually did come across that instance a couple years ago, jung jae sung hurt his shoulders and lee yong dae switched to Bravesword LYD to play more back court, and his smashes were visibly the hardest I've ever seen him hit compared to BS09 and 12. But his defensive range was visibly reduced as well.

Of course the power gap between BS12 and BSLYD is pretty substantial, so I'm not sure it applies to 100zz and DSZ.

Quentin11 likes this.
  8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Not referring to you. Yet those are pretty assertive statements :

"Just watched the match of VA against Sen from India. The smash power of 100zz is noticeably weaker than the Z Strike previously used by VA."

"From today's match VA vs Shi Yu Qi it looks 100 ZZ is for sure good for defense, drive and counter shots .. It looked Ok for attack".

Where is the word tweaking here? Saying the racket is for sure good for defense or noticeably weaker is an assertion or a confident statement if you prefer. And it's ok. Yet I'd like to know how someone come up with this conclusion. That's all.

Again and again... I'm just asking how does someone come up with such confidence in how a racket performs based on a match watched on TV... I know I'll never have an answer to this question and instead I'll get attacked on a personal level to avoid the question but no need to say I'm word tweaking or people always argue with me when it isn't true. In fact I only argued with 3 users. 2 on here and 1 on KM thread who is cunning linguist. Again please refrain from personal attack unrelated to the topic.

fdemitri likes this.
  9. Amin

Amin Regular Member

Say something about today's match?
    Were VA's smashes powerful or not??
    Don't have to say about defense??!
    VA vs LZJ.

10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The All England is a slow hall. That wouldn't be very relevant to conclude if his smashes were powerful or not only based on VA's matches during the week. If after several tournaments, in different conditions and after he got used to the racket I see he is having a harder time to conclude his attacks than before switching rackets then I will also suggest the 100ZZ is less suited for his style of play than was the DZS. For now I can't say as I don't have the necessary information to make such an assertive conclusion.

11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@LenaicM

Dear Sir,

Forgive me for saying what I said.

12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Please don't try to make it sound like it's what I'm trying to get from you... far from my point again. Let's really stick to the racket now please.

13. Amin

Amin Regular Member

:(
    But i never saw VA's smashes more powerful than now. I think it's more or the same.

Smashing...power
    It depends on the player too. Weather he is powerful or not? The player must be strong enough if he makes powerful smashes!

See the Russian giant(double player) he is using ax88s!!
    98% depends on the players not on the rackets.

Hehe::: If your skill is better no need the speedy feather.
    o_O:rolleyes::oops::D:cool:;)
    Funny talking.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I partially agree. It's all about the player. May be not only the power based on his/her physical abilities but also his/her technique. I played with a 12-year-old girl during one of my last training camp, she is ranked in the French top 10 for her category. Her smashes were more powerful than mine. Not like mine are a reference obviously... but she was pretty tiny! Clearly not the racket or her physical abilities but her technique.

15. Amin

Amin Regular Member

T
    That's it!!

I read all of the posts here. Everyone is talking about 88d,88s,99,zf2;
    I can say from it that new is always better...(for yonex? Regarding your speeches:p
    See with what are you comparing those are also the updated one not the older one.

I don't think it gonna be a bad one(ax100zz)
    Someone like to buy updated one by listening if they don't buy how will you buy by using?! Hehe!!

So let's buy it and use it and then by listening what company says and then compare with your feelings I mean give the feedback. What i am going to do????

Don't mind me;)

16. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I'm just looking for people to help neutralize the COVID-19, don't mind me. Bloody Wuhan.

Bearing your stuff in mind, well said. I hope I didn't come under your scope of fire. *sniff

I'm just unable to comprehend the awesomeness of our other microscopic observers' to infer and declare that a product that is as of still unreleased state to be of a certain power level or maneuverability and on top of that, holy ****, be able to pinpoint it on a comparison analysis to other rackets.

Mein Gott, that has got to be some of the most unprecedented eye power I have ever witnessed. I am well and truly #blessed to be alive in this time.

Also, brain power. Comprehension then inference and maybe setting up a thesis is at an all time high here, I cannot even.
    Also also, hearing power. The sound of that stringbed when the smash is executed. Gosh what sharp ears our members here have.

In aweeeeeee.

LenaicM likes this.
  17. Amin

Amin Regular Member

Here you go....@all(posting here comparing other rackets with 100zz..or zz with others)

I read all of the posts here. Everyone is talking about 88d,88s,99,zf2;
    I can say from it that new is always better...(for yonex? Regarding your speeches:p
    See with what are you comparing those are also the updated one not the older one.

I don't think it gonna be a bad one(ax100zz)
    Someone like to buy updated one by listening if they don't buy how will you buy by using?! Hehe!!

So let's buy it and use it and then by listening what company says and then compare with your feelings I mean give the feedback.

What i am going to do????

Don't mind me;)

#457 Amin, Mar 14, 2020
  18. ChocoChipWaffle

I do think this racket may be one of those game-changers that comes once in a while.. Mainly because of its super slim shaft, which I feel might be one of those few features that aren't overhyped by the yonex marketing team, which most of their technology usually is. I have played with super slim shafts before, and they give an incredibly whippy feel to the racket without making it feel flexy, if that makes sense. And this one is supposedly their thinnest yet.

It could be the next "real" racket advancement we've had in years that could tangibly make it feel "better" than the older rackets that don't have it. Usually the hallmark of an actually useful technology is when the entire industry adopts, not just 1 company. The last time I've seen a technology really do that is the isometric head shape

Edit: And I do see some of those Muscle Power grooves in some current rackets, so I guess that's kind of a mainstay too. Then again, I don't feel a huge performance boost with a racket that has it vs one that doesn't, so..

#458 ChocoChipWaffle, Mar 14, 2020
  19. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

For a racket to be truly legendary then it needs to evoke massive emotional attachment. The last rackets to do this on a huge scale were probably BS12 and VT ZFII. Will the 100zz do the same?

Judging by this thread Yonex could be on to a winner. They only have to look here to find some people completely devoid of all logic and full of pure, unadulterated emotion. We (I mean logical, restrained individuals like me) need loads of people to rush out and buy the rackets so we can find out if it is worthy of the hype.

If you want it because the paint matches your car, the pros use it or you just like the smell then crack on, buy 2 or 3 for all I care. Just don’t waste time trying to justify it, we won’t understand but might secretly respect your choice.

LenaicM likes this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk