World Table Tennis

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by extremenanopowe, May 30, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Just bring your weapons of choice for best results

Having played Badminton and Table Tennis for years, I do find one thing for sure;
    The rackets/strings players use for Badminton do not help as much as the rackets/rubbers players use for Table Tennis.

For this good news for Singapore, let's hope that Singapore can continue to stay as No.1.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    CHN choosing who to lose to? Conspiracy theory? If you seen the matches, you can see the emotion and tension wearing in the CHN girls' faces, esp LSW who lost both her matches. LSW is WR1, she is young and fast but her game lacks the explosive power and experience of a ZYN. Unlike baddy, you can fake it to play to lose, TT is not that easy cos' when a player fake the game, it shows.
    Now, if you say CHN intentionally put out a 'weaker' lineup for this WC10, that is something we cannot prove. More true would be, I think CHN is introducing young players e.g. LSW and DN, with the confidence of a win, instead of her superstars like ZYH and Guo Yue. I think it was an experiment that backfired.
    On the men side, CHN add 2 juniors to her 5-man unit, resting WLQ, Wang Hao, Xu Xin and Wang Hsuai (the 1st 2 players have a combined 5-6 WC singles crown). And Germany, if Timo had beaten ML, who knows what the final outcome would be as CHN will be playing the rookie in the deciding match.
    Give Sing the credit for this huge upset in an otherwise same old, same old, predicted usual outcome. When FTW scored the final point, you can feel the sensation and like a vacuum sucked out of the air. Incredible.:)

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No matter how one puts it the world champions are still a Chinese B team beating a Chinese B1 team. Table tennis is the national sport of China, not badminton. Table tennis is certainly not a national sport in Singapore, far from it and certainly much below badminton.
    Neverthless Singapore is the official world table tennis world champions. You see the contradiction? The test is to see what happens after a few years if the game has taken roots with the real local Singaporeans.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Where is Li Jiawei who once brought so much glory to Singapore table tennis during the last Olympics? Why was she not part of the Singapore squad? She is still quite a formidable player and it would be a real waste to see her go somewhere else.

5. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

At least I believe so, therefore it's a psychological edge already:D. Whereas, I don't think the game shirts and shorts makes for a winner;) other than to look good:cool:! I guess, it is better to win ugly:).

The truth is I want to collect the blades;), collecting the game shirts and shorts is...well, I don't know:eek:.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LJW is not going anywhere, she was in Sing team at WC10. Just like ZYN and Guo Yue are CHN top weapons and CHN was resting them to be generous and give chance to let Sing win, so Sing did the same honor by resting LJW:p:D just a joke!!:p
    The reason I think even though LJW was in the 5-woman unit facing CHN but did not play in the QF, SF and F is because she took some time off to make baby:crying: after OLY08 (placed 4th close but no cigar, also, she was 4th in OLY04 as well) and has not recover her game form for this WC10. The last tournament she played before the WC10, I saw that match and she lost in the early round and her form was out. Heard that she is coming back to gear up for OLY12, like Paul McCartney said, "long and winding road...":D Anyway, not a bad deal for LJW to win a WC gold by not playing, no sweat, I want one too please:crying:

#46 OneToughBirdie, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    China loss raises further doubts over state system

Published on Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 13:09 | Updated at Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 13:14 | Source : Reuters

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/sp...-further-doubts-over-state-system_461431.html

China's state sports system has come under increasing scrutiny after the women's table tennis squad were beaten in the world team championships final by Singapore in Moscow at the weekend.

The loss to a team of Chinese-born players ended 19 years of dominance in the event, providing a further blow to national pride just two weeks after the women's badminton team were shocked by South Korea in the Uber Cup final.

"China must know that any system, including the state sports system, is not able to guarantee an everlasting dominance," a China Youth Daily commentary said. "We need many other ways to produce athletes."

Chinese media also blamed an over-reliance on a relatively inexperienced squad of Liu Shiwen, Guo Yan and Ding Ning for the table tennis defeat while sports bloggers criticised a state system that concentrates on less popular sports.

The excessive investment in sports such as badminton and table tennis had produced an overabundance of world class athletes, whose talent was wasted unless they opted to represent other countries, according to blogger Jin Shan, a former sports journalist.

"For the advantages in these sports we spend too much, which are now being used against us... and all of them are funded by the taxpayers," he said.

In Singapore, the winning team of Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Sun Bei Bei were welcomed by around 200 supporters on their return to the island state on Monday.

While the success of Singapore's Chinese-born team has been met warily by some, others welcomed the players' decision to represent the city-state.

"People may say they are all from China but they are Singaporeans now," businessman Patrick Low told the Today newspaper.

"Singapore was made up of immigrants in the past and these new immigrants have done us proud."

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think it is good both for China and the world if they continue producing an abundance of TT players. The majority will not be chosen to represent the country so they go to where the money is. This is a very good PR for China plus the game will reach a uniformly high standard globally.
    Initially countries with close affinity to China, like Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, (HK and Macau not included because they are part of China), Vietnam, Thailand can take advantage of this huge surplus that would otherwise be wasted.
    But all these imports go where the money is, and Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand are not so attractive plus they cannot afford the money.
    These Chinese imports do not sat behind permanently after they are past their prime.
    LJW is only interested now in making more babies and spend more of her time in China. The others will follow the same pattern
    The challenge for the host importing countries is to graft these foreign expertise into the local dna. Without this, being world champions sound hollow, because behind this you must a great TT nation that can proudly say that TT is your national sport. Otherwise, it would be a joke if Brunei becomes world champions which they can with their oil/gas wealth.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Singapore is a more chinese nation. So more will definitely will be here.

Good for singapore and I believe heads will roll in china. Be it for badminton and TT ladies officials.

It is embarassing to loose. What's the point of playing if you loose on purpose? Sportsmanship is gone. ;)

Players may only win once in their lifetime. So I don't think they will loose on purpose.

For badminton case, yes I can agree that some can loose on purpose. But still on mens side. Ladies unlikely. ;)

Finals will be less so. More on semis and qtrfinals for the match fixing. ;)

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..again, let's wait for the next edition of the TT WC or when these ladies meet again and see what happens to gauge if CHN's domination is really over or if S'pore is the real deal...same thing with the Uber Cup effort..

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    if china loose again.. there will be riots... lol. ;)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

no. if China lose again, esp. in Uber Cup, BC will officially close shop.

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I believe you are saying that tongue in cheek, so to speak. Next WC12 team event, Sing would prolly have the same lineup with SBB getting more experience. LJW, because of OLY12 may play his last WC12 and should be there, at what form we don't know.
    CHN would come back...make it big time and I bet my house on that (if my wife allows me:D:p). CHN would renew her domination, in fact, we do not have to wait too long. We have WC10 team event now, individual events will follow very shortly. In last OLY08, CHN sweep all gold and silver in all 5 events and because 2 bronzes are awarded, CHN had double bronzes in some events, so CHN take 17 out of 20 medals. Also, in last WC08, CHN has all her 6 WS players in QF, and all CHN SF. I bet (not with my house this time) CHN will send a strong reminder to Sing to enjoy this moment while it last and to the the rest of the world "I be baaccck' to clean sweep:D And you can say the same on CHN Uber Cup next time.

#53 OneToughBirdie, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

what do you mean i "said that tongue in cheek"??..yes, i really want to see what happens the next time around, as a few would say that CHN's domination is over or CHN's wall has cracked (i could care less if CHN or S'pore or another country wins) ..:cool:

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Since you clarify, then you really look forward to see if lightning strikes twice. I say tongue in cheek because I don't think you really think Sing or any country can beat CHN again...I would say here, not only will CHN not lose her domination but CHN will resume her domination especially in women TT and sweep all women event in the WC10 individual events. This WC10 loss was a one time thing. Credit Sing winning, her girls hit top form especially WGY who I have never seen her play so well and confident before, and to beat LSW that is huge upset, you can compare to Choi beating LD. I say CHN was arrogant or a miscalculation to field a rookie team in the final when Guo Yue and Li Xiao Xiao could play but instead are both warming the bench. If I am not mistaken, of the 3 players that played in WC10 QF, SF and F, LSW and DN are 19-yr old rookies and the 3rd member 27 year old Guo Yan had never played in a WC final before.

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Looks like CHN could not repeat sweep in OLY12. Just announced, each nation is limited to 2 players entry per event. OLY final looks like decided with CHN internal competition to see which 2 players get selected to represent CHN...lets see...
    MS...Ma Lin (OLY08 gold), Wang Li Qin (3XWC, OLY bronze), Wang Hao (3XWC, 2OLY silver), Wang Hsuai, Xu Chin, Ma Long and the 2 WC juniors champ and runner-up.
    WS...Liu Shi Wen (WR1, World Cup Champion), Zhang Yin Ning (2XOLY gold, 2XWC), Guo Yue (WC), Li Xiao Xiao, Guo Yan, Ding Ning.
    It cannot get any tougher. Even in baddy, 3 players get selected, obviously this is to prevent CHN sweep and maybe to prevent TT from wipeout from OLY.
    Rules changes to 'control' CHN...change from 21-pt to 7-pt to now 11-pt, increase ball size to 26mm (slow the game down), now limit number of players...it is tough to be the best.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Do you really think China would have fielded a rooky women's team if the final opponent was a European country? If the finals opponent had been say Nigeria China might have fielded an even rooky rooky team.
    Now, if Singapore were to exclude every China-born and China trained women TT players and instead field a 100% Singapore-born and Singapore-trained palyers, do you think it can even beat Malaysia?
    Every great sporting nation with silverware to crown its glories must be backed by a population that is in the game in the sense that it is a real national sport. Examples are Brazil in soccer, China in TT, Denmark, Indonesia, Malaysia in badminton.
    In a way TT is one sport that has long been dominated by China, to the extent it is killing off any growing interest in the game in other parts of the world. From this perspective, what the TT governing body is doing to cut some parts of China's wings is bad for China but good for the sport globally.

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    You must be googling ITTF latest news. Your above post on ITTF penalizing CHN but good for the sport reflects what ITTF news said. CHN TT domination risks making TT obsolete from OLY, therefore Sing win may be a blessing.
    My take is it is over-confidence on CHN part to field the rookie team. What I am questioning is with Li Xiao Xiao and Guo Yue on standby, why not field them instead of the rookie players? These 2 players are power house if you ever watch them play, esp GY. Her WR is down below LSW, that is because LSW played in just about every Opens while GY was absent (same for ZYN and LXX).
    Sing won fair and square, if you watch the entire match, Sing girls are top form esp WGY in the game breaking 2nd game. CHN rookie team was world class too but they lost to a Sing team on fire. What I said is, again hypothetical, if CHN had fielded Guo Yue, Li Xiao Xiao and LSW, that is a formidable lineup (3 of the top 4 players in the world on 1 team, the other 1 is Zhang Yin Ning who is back in CHN), the outcome could be different. So, CHN domination over, not by a longshot. I am not putting Sing down, they deserve the win and I am so happy for them, but honestly, CHN is way too strong. If CHN is allowed 4 women teams, arguably all 4 teams could meet in the SF.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..the part in bold is my point. Not much tongue in cheek, if any. Personally, i'm not saying this is a one time deal for CHN/S'pore or i don't think S'pore or another country would beat CHN again. Like i already mentioned, i could care less who wins the next time around, CHN or S'pore or another country. I just want to see if what a few folks mentioned that the CHN's domination is over and their wall is cracked (both in TT and baddy) is real...........or just another tongue in cheek comment.:cool:

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Reading your past posts, I believe you:)
    On CHN TT, especially in women, it is huge error in players selection for final. The CHN media is already questioning why Guo Yue was omitted while Li Xiao Xiao did not play cos she had a recent operation was understandable. But who knows, the way the Sing girls played, they were top form and maybe could beat any lineup CHN put out on that day. Like I say, we cannot go back in time to find out what IF??? So Sing enjoys this huge win, their moment to shine, congrats to them.
    Much like when the Choi fellow beat LD, some folks said LD is on the way down and we know what happens, right? CHN TT domination over, now, the gals gets a lashing and the dragon is angry, very angry:mad:. I boldly predict CHN will sweep individual MS and WS events coming up. People can forget about WR, Sing's FTW is WR2, Sing's YMY is WR8, CHN's DN is WR4 and so is CHN's LSW WR1 because these gals play almost in every Opens getting WR points. Come TT WC10, my bets are on Guo Yue and Zhang Yin Ning going for her 3rd WC to accompany her 2 OLY golds. ZYN is like LD, winning her 3rd WC gold equals Deng Ya Peng who also has 2 OLY gold and 3WC gold. But ZYN is 27, OLY12 she is 29 and going for her 3rd OLY golds;)
    People should do themselves a favour to see these 2 gals play before even saying CHN domination is over. The only way CHN can be beaten is by ITTF, imposing rules to screw CHN and of course, depreiving fans like me of the best paddy performance.
    As for CHN baddy, just wait 3 years, INA has Hayom and who else? KOR propect who? MAS after LCW, prospects who and where? DEN has Axelsion and then? Japan has a Tago? and that is about all there is, folks. And CHN propects are deep with ZM, Du, CL and don't forget CJ is still young. CHN baddy women prospects, you can't even name them all in one breath. A young WC (ZL) is called not good enough to defend her title. So baddy domination by CHN over, far from it, actually it gets tighter and much tougher for the rest of the world.