World Championships 2009 day Three(Aug 12, 09)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by george@chongwei, Aug 11, 2009.

1. copadh

copadh Regular Member

This is the 3rd WC for Raul Must after 2006 and 2007 WC. He played in Germany and sometimes trained in Sweden

2. copadh

copadh Regular Member

Mostly it's from air condition. It's circle shaped stadium, court 1 and 2 baseline to baseline on far left, court 3 and 4 side by side in the middle, and court 5 and 6 are on far right. According to players draft on middle court is normal, but in court 1, 2, 5, 6, are 'not easy tot control'.
    Been told that during India Open the air condition was being shut off in some matches.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Finally a day without further off court rumors..^^

..i also read that the organizer actually turned the A/C ducts/air flow upward towards the ceiling..
    ..the A/C draft problem was mentioned even before the tourney started, in the "News" thread. Basically they were still figuring out how to provide the best air circulation in the stadium for both the players & spectators, without inhibiting the actual matches. One of the original plans was to turn on & turn off the A/C system every 3-4 hours.
    ..perhaps there was just too much respect or intimidation @ the net by Tony...:cool:
    ..in the 2007 WC edition, Bach & Malaythong only went to R32. However, Gunawan and Candra W., whom Tony was partnering for abt 2 yrs as an independent pair, went all the way to the QF Rd. where they lost to their ex-compatriots & eventual MD champions, Kido & Setiawan.
    For this yr's edition, without Kido & Setiawan in the mix, i see both Tony & Howard going at least to the QF Rd. if not to the Semifinals. With a tiny chance of going to the Final Rd. and winning it all. Yes, i won't be surprised if they beat Boe & Mogensen in the R16 & advance to the QF Rd.
    You've still got basically one of the best front court players in the game partnering a player who is younger than Wijaya. Who knows, we might see a Tony vs. LYD duel in the Semis...;)
    ..as i mentioned before, i expect no less than a Final appearance for LYD & JJS, as they played in the Final Rd, 2 yrs ago. A World title should be theirs to lose...
    ..i concur. PSH is a very inconsistent player.

A few more thoughts from Day 3 actions:
    - Tough lost for WMC. But Ai Goto seemed to be really prepared.
    - Jan OJ's win over PSH wasn't really a surprised considering his great improvement over the last yr. PSH, on the other hand, IMO, has still a lot to learn. He better improve fast because he might be reaching his peak or close to reaching his peak soon.
    - Xing Aiying also, IMO, has reached her peak. She just seemed to always struggle and can't pass a tougher foe, even for a European standard player.
    - Too bad our JR & LP couldn't pass their opponents. Perhaps JR has been spending too much time in BC rather than training??....;)

#483 ctjcad, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I doubt much "coaching" from LM occured during LCW's visit. That would be like a slap in the face of Misbun.

There is not much gap between Jorgensen and PSH. The result is not a surprise.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Chen rallies to win, Park ousted in badminton

By Manoj Vatsyayana (AFP) – 8 hours ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hiBcaUE44sjStDCCQR6KDnaxPtJQ

HYDERABAD, India — World number two Chen Jin of China faced some anxious moments before overcoming Indian Parupalli Kashyap in the second round of the World badminton championships here on Wednesday.

Unseeded Kashyap, cheered by the home crowd, surprised the second-seeded Chinese when he bagged the opening game but then failed to match his opponent to lose 14-21, 21-10, 21-7 in 53 minutes.

Denmark's Jan O Jorgensen pulled off the only major upset in the men's section when he downed eighth-seeded Korean Park Sung Hwan 21-16, 17-21, 21-15.

Favourites Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, Indonesian Taufik Hidayat, Denmark's Peter Gade and Chinese Lin Dan also made it to the men's singles third round, all winning in straight games.

Big players advanced into the women's singles third round, with world number one Zhou Mi of Hong Kong, Chinese Wang Lin, Wang Yihan, Xie Xingfang and Lu Lan, Indian Saina Nehwal and Pi Hongyan winning in straight games.

But there were minor upsets, with Japanese Ai Goto beating 14th-seeded Malaysian Wong Mew Choo and Thailand's Salakjit Ponsana rallying to down 16th-seeded Judith Meulendijks of the Netherlands.

Top-seeded Lee, seeking his maiden title at the championships, posted an easy 21-11, 21-14 win over Nigerian Ola Fagbemi.

"I don't think I was at my 100 per cent best today, but so far so good," said world number one Lee.

"I think my next match (against Tien Minh Nguyen) will be tough because I have lost to him recently in the Singapore Open."

Vietnam's Nguyen, seeded 14th, reached the third round with a 21-14, 21-16 win over Brice Leverdez of France.

Zhou, who got a first-round bye, needed just 27 minutes to beat New Zealand's Chan Ky Michelle 21-11, 21-15.

"I am still trying to adapt to the conditions," said Zhou, who represented China before qualifying to play for Hong Kong in 2007.

"I also quit the game for some time and then returned to achieve the number one ranking. I am happy with what I have achieved. It will be another achievement if I win the title here."

Zhou, like Lee, is aiming for a maiden World title.

Third-seeded Gade beat Japan's Sho Sasaki 21-11, 21-12 while fourth-seeded Hidayat recorded a 21-17, 21-15 win over Mathieu Lo Ying Ping of France.

"It was easier than I expected and everything is going according to the plan," said Gade.

"I controlled the match but I have to be at my best in the remaining matches. I had a good run-up to the championships and I practised very hard."

Sixth-seeded Nehwal opened her campaign with a 21-10, 21-17 win over Russian Anastasia Prokopenko.

"Right now I am very happy with my fitness. I didn't feel tired, but I am going to be tested in tomorrow's match," said Nehwal, who will now meet 10th-seeded Bulgarian Petya Nedelcheva.

"The fact that it was my first match after recovering from chicken pox, it did play on my mind before I started. But luckily it wasn't a major problem.

"Expectations will be there, but as a player you will have to focus on the game. Of course, some tension was there in my mind, but I am happy I won the match."

Fifth-seeded Xie, looking for a record third singles title, won when her Bulgarian opponent Linda Zechiri retired after feeling unwell in the second game. She was leading 23-21, 18-10.

Attached Files:

6. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Wow,...China is a truly Champion Team.........for no lost a match in day three.........

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

but in day four, several chinese players already lost..that includes wang yi han;)