World Championship 2007- Aug 14 -2nd day (First Round)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by george@chongwei, Aug 13, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

OT: how I would love to be in KL, but, I just start my new job wef 1 Aug :cool:
    Hmm..your offer does sound very tempting though.....let me check if I can still can get a plane ticket to KL :p

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Canada serving notice at badminton worlds

Beres, Milroy, Dabeka among those advancing to Round 2 in Malaysia

Last Updated: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 | 2:12 PM ET
    CBC Sports
    Canadian Mike Beres is off to a strong start at the world badminton championships following his double gold-medal performance at last month's Pan American Games.

The Ottawa native teamed with Calgary's William Milroy to knock off Daniel Shirley and Craig Cooper of New Zealand 13-21, 21-19, 23-21 in first-round doubles play in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Tuesday.

Beres and Milroy will play Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee of South Korea in the next round.

Beres wasn't as fortunate in mixed doubles, with Val Loker of Brantford, Ont., falling 21-18, 13-21, 21-19 to Tan Wee Kiong and Woon Khe Wei of Malaysia.

The Canadian pair were coming off a silver-medal performance in mixed doubles at the Pan Am Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Beres also captured gold in men's singles and men's doubles in Brazil.

Elsewhere Tuesday, Andrew Dabeka of Ottawa and Anna Rice of North Vancouver also advanced in singles play.

Dabeka defeated Vladislav Raffeiner of Ukraine 16-21, 21-18, 21-16 in men's singles and will face No. 14-seed Sung Hwan Park of South Korea in the second round.

Rice advanced in women's singles following a 21-14, 21-14 victory over Estonia's Kati Tolmoff.

She joins Charmaine Reid of Fort Erie, Ont., in the second round. Reid won her first-round match Monday and will face fourth-seeded Hongyan Pi of France in the second round, while Rice takes on No. 5 Lin Zhu of China.

Reid, who won a pair of silver medals at the Pan Am Games, and Fiona McKee of Markham, Ont., lost their first-round women's doubles match 21-16, 21-16 to Petya Nedeltcheva and Diana Dimova of Bulgaria on Tuesday.

With files from the Canadian Press

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Badminton: China open world championship assault

Channel NewsAsia - Tuesday, August 14KUALA LUMPUR - China's assault on the world badminton championships started Tuesday in commanding style, with world number four Chen Jin demolishing his hapless opponent in 21 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

China's shuttlers, who dominate the world rankings, are seeking a clean sweep of all five titles here as they attempt to tighten their grip on the sport ahead of next year's Beijing Olympics.

With the Red Army's stars not taking to the courts until Wednesday, it was left to formidable foot soldiers Chen and world number seven Chen Yu to kick-start the proceedings in the first round.

Chen Jin never even got out of first gear against unseeded Marco Vasconcelos from Portugal, winning 21-9, 21-5 to move into the second round.

"We are all playing well, and we are confident and hope that we can win the five titles," Chen said.

Chen Yu earlier beat New Zealand's John Moody 21-13, 21-11 despite a commendable performance from the Kiwi.

Peter Gade, the only European considered capable of standing up to the Chinese juggernaut, also moved into the second round after a tough 21-18, 21-10 workout against England's unseeded Andrew Smith.

The Dane, a veteran of these championships with one silver and two bronze medals, said he was satisfied with his performance and confident of his chances in Kuala Lumpur after winning the Malaysian Open earlier this year.

"He (Smith) has good technique and some very good shots," Gade, 31, said. "(But) I got control in the second game, so I'm pretty satisfied.

"I only played for 40 minutes in the stadium so I need some time to get adjusted, and I think this was a good start," the fifth seed said.

Malaysia, gunning for their first ever world championship title, had reason to cheer earlier in the day when Muhammad Roslin Hashim despatched Sweden's Magnus Sahlberg 21-17, 21-9.

"I've trained here before but this is something different. I just tried to stay in control and keep control of my nerves. The second set was easier than the first," said Hashim, who now faces Chen Jin in the second round.

Sixteenth seed Simon Santoso stole some of the spotlight with a come-from-behind 20-22, 21-11, 21-19 victory over Vietnam ace Nguyen Tien Minh.

After losing the first game, and fighting back to equalise in the second, the Indonesian was down 15-18 in the third, before digging deep to draw level.

At 18-18, he conceded one more point before storming home in an enthralling encounter that saw both players diving on the floor in desperation to reach shots.

On the women's side, Yip Pui Yin from Hong Kong, seeded 11, defeated Trupti Murgunde from India 21-17, 21-13.

The Asian Games silver medallist had a tough first set before quickly wrapping up the second to join compatriot Wang Chen in the next round.

Selected results from the second day of the world badminton championships (x denotes seed):

Men's singles

Ronald Susilo (Singapore x11) beats Alistair Casey (Scotland) 22-20, 21-12

Park Sung Hwan (Korea x14) beats Jeff Tho (Australia) 21-14, 21-6

Simon Santoso (Indonesia x16) beats Nguyen Tien Minh (Vietnam) 20-22, 21-11 21-19

Women's singles:

Juliane Schenk (Germany x13) beats Kristina Ludikova (Czech Republic) 21-16, 21-10

Petya Nedeltcheva (Bulgaria x9) beats Weny Rahmawati (France) 21-18, 21-8

Lu Lan (China x7) beats Xing Aiying (Singapore) 21-9 21-15

Kaori Mori (Japan x14) beats Jill Pittard (England) 21-13, 21-16

Mixed doubles:

Hendra Wijaya/Jiang Yanmei (Singapore) beat Kristof Hopp/Birgit Overzier (Germany x16) 21-13, 21-16

- AFP/ir

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Men's singles:

Ng Wei (HKG) bt Roman Spitko (GER) 20-22, 21-15, 21-12
    Dicky Palyama (NED) bt Kaveh Mehrabi (IRI) 21-15, 21-13
    Nabil Lasmari (ALG) bt Kennevic Asuncion (PHI) 21-17, 21-10
    Taufik Hidayat (INA) bt Jose Antonio Crespo (ESP) 21-13, 21-7
    Anup Sridhar (IND) bt Juergen Koch (AUT) 21-15, 21-19
    Muhd Hafiz B Hashim (MAS) bt Stuart Gomez (AUS) 21-8, 21-7
    Scott Evans (IRL) bt Eric Go (USA) 21-12, 14,21, 21-17