Wise 2086 longevity

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by DarthHowie, Sep 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    PXL_20230725_154935722.jpg
    Forgot to attach photo

2. paul27

paul27 Regular Member

I can see that you mounted it on the Standard/Short version of StringMaster. Mind sharing how it was mounted? Possible to reuse the WISE slots?

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I documented the mounting process in a different thread:

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ng-machines-by-tennisman.190720/#post-2858482

If you decide to order the motor separately, just make sure to check with Tennisman that these two holes will be drilled in. Believe it or not, they do it on site themselves for the motors that need it.

paul27 and speCulatius like this.
  4. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    Can I ask what is the difference between Wise 2086 and Tennisman motor as far as design goes? I have seen you guys mention about Tennisman uses chain while Wise uses screw? What are the pros and cons? Also what are the new features in Wise V14? On the website, it says Wise V14 is replacing the pause function to knot function. What is a knot function for?

Note: I am new to electronic tension head. I use a classic drop weight to string my rackets.

5. slim416

slim416 Regular Member

My Wise is going on 15+ years, but it is a bit of a frankenstein machine at this point as every 5 years or so i send it back to Wise to have it service / repaired and usually use that opportunity to upgrade components to the latest version.

Originally purchased in May 2008 - I believe it was ver 10 model
    - a few years later the key pad display started to act up, it got replaced (ver 11)
    - a short time later they came up with a new gripper that worked better for badminton (closed completely) so opted for that one; they also updated the firmware to allow a lower tension (the minimum was 20lb previously)
    - a few years later key pad display acted up again, so got that replaced, also replaced the entire gripper assembly (arm got damaged during shipping), both were upgraded to ver 12
    - a couple of years ago, the motor was acting up a bit (minor) - not a big deal but i opted to upgrade the entire motor assembly and drive unit as well as the gripper to the latest (v 14 i believe)

At this point, the part left on my machine that is original is the chassis, power supply, and pedal (no longer used). The keypad
    - Chassis / power supply - v10
    - keypad / electronics - v12
    - Motor / Drive assembly, gripper - v14

I am very happy with their service and support after all these years, and love the fact i was able to upgrade / repair components as needed all these years to keep it going. The only downside is there is no way for me to update the firmware myself currently as there is no USB port on my machine (would have to replace the chassis and board to v14 to do it)

I add an automatic gripper recently as well but only okay with that upgrade - it makes the entire gripper less stable. At some point, i might consider upgrading to a new electronic machine but I don't string as much as I used so I don't see that happening any time soon. I am very happy with my base machine (Victor C-7027) so any new machine would need to be a significant upgrade.

s_mair, DarthHowie and Alex82 like this.
  6. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    very informative! Great to know there is someone else that has had a good experience with the Wise. If my personal attempt to repair/replace components go south, then your experience would definitely have me consider sending the whole device for servicing.

7. slim416

slim416 Regular Member

For me, the shipping costs were minimum thru the rates at work (like $15) and the service rates were fair - all the work they have done for me, the prices included all parts and labor so i plan on sending my back every 5 years or so to get serviced and inspected.

I have taken my wise apart to clean it and put it back together - it is not hard, but i haven't worked on enough of them to know if something is off or not right. (unless it breaks).

For the motor, it was just wear/tear (after 10 years of use) on the teeth on either the rod or gripper holder as sometimes it won't catch and pull. I believe, electronically the original motor was fine but i took the opportunity to upgrade the motor to the latest one in version 14 model.

Even if I did all the work myself, it is great that the parts are still available quite readily 10-15 years after the fact.

Not sure if I can say that if I got a brand name electronic machine like Victor or Alpha. I see that we can get parts now for the base machine on places like Aliexpress from the OEM (i.e. AEF) but those are mostly the mechanical parts - arms, clamp bases, etc; and not the internals for the electronic heads

speCulatius and DarthHowie like this.