Will it happens? LCW v LD. Final encounter(s)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by latecomer, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Like I've said elsewhere when somebody accused Cheung of being a LD fan that "it doesn't automatically qualify him as biased toward LD as you still have to take what he said on its own merits and analyse it point-by-point."

All I can say is both you and indrg are overly sensitive and read too much into it. Anyway, it's too trivial to go back and forth over it. Like you said, sometimes we go overboard, but I repeat "meanings are in people, not in words".

I often wonder all this sports rivalaries to the extent that their respective fans are constantly quarrelling, sometimes over the slightest perceived slight , even at war, with each other, is it necessary or healthy ? Do the players themselves really care or derive any satisfaction from it ? Never mind. I guess the greatest beneficiaries are the sponsors and advertisers.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By the way, it's inevitable to make comparisons between the two whenever the subject arises, esp before a match, so it's natural to take sides, even the rest of the players and coaches do too, but it doesn't mean we are or have to be biased in expressing our views and preferences.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    LOL, when I wrote a certain thing about LCW, I am immediately labelled a LCW hater and a LD lover. I am like "huh? ".

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I fully understand how you feel, as a moderator, it's rather awkward for you. Really, the intense rivalry between Lin Dan and Lee CW is much stronger or worse between their respective fans. It's like treading a field of landmines whenever we mention either one or the two of them in the same breath.

I'd say your job as a forum moderator here is a thankless task. We salute you.

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Well favouritism and being biased is in human blood, in fact we can't even be "neutral" or "completely just" when players of our own country are crossing swords.
    That's a far dream to accomplish.

Let's not start the Lee Lin fandom fights which lead us to the stupidest and most unreasonable concept ever the "GOAT".
    Keep Calm and pray for another Dream Finale and accept the result whatsoever (if it ever happen) without any excuses (nomatter how reasonable they may appear)

6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LCW cleared the first hurdle easily. LD was a bit shaky but moved to next round. A mini step closer but still too early to tell.

7. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    With the withdrawal of CL, LCW is very likely will be in the final. It is up to LD to do his part.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Chen Long has been showing extremely disappointing results for the last 1,5 (?) years, despite winning the gold medal in Rio. No consistency whatsoever.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The possibility of the first post Olympic match between the two legends is sky high. We are awaiting the outcome of LCW's match. Almost no chance for the HK player upsetting the world #1. H2H is 6-0.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan ! Lin Dan ! Lin Dan ! Words are superfluous.

As Peter Gade, Xiong Guobao, and company of past greats would agree, Lin Dan is The GOAT !

volcom likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, at the beginning I never used the term 'GOAT' on Lin Dan or anybody (though some posters have started it) until I read Peter Gade's comments on Lin Dan regarding him as the best MS in history; then followed by other past greats who directly or indirectly said the same of Lin Dan. eg Xiong Guobao, Lee Hyun Il (calling Lin Dan, the perfect shuttler), LCW (indirectly, saying there's only one Lin Dan), Sun Jun, Dong Jiong, Taufik Hidayat, not to mention other coaches and players.

So I guess we're in good company to call Lin Dan , The Greatest of All Time.

nilesh123 and volcom like this.
  12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The match we had been waiting for 8 months is history. I believe there is a few more to come. Although LCW lost, l don't think it will have affect his performance against LD in future encounters. LD was clearly the underdog having played more games while LCW was cruising to the final. LCW owns this tournament and playing at home, he couldn't lose. LCW beat LD 3 in a row and beat him 2 times(finals) in this very tournament. Apparently, this match meant more to LD than LCW, and you could feel LD was more hungry as the match progress. I have a feeling that we may see them in Tokyo. Awaiting the next match.

Sundis likes this.
  13. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    2 post Olympic match. LD is at home this time and LCW is visiting. After a bit soul searching, I give up on handicapping this match. LD doesn't need the points qualifying to Glasgow
    and LCW's goal is a world championship and an Olympic gold. Both want to win but not at all costs.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Almost like having too much of a good thing. Can't believe we get another Lin Dan - Lee CW Big Battle so soon after the MAS Open barely three weeks ago. Showtime tomorrow.

15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

From my humble view, LCW just didn't want to waste so much stamina during this stamina.
    After all, this is nothing but like a normal Superseries torney. He have a much bigger picture of what he want to do.
    In the end, World Championship is a major and such as that, it is more precious and important than what BAC is, therefore
    should be treated as so. Happy day to you all. Datuk is surely relaxing right now, giving LD a precious chance to settle the
    long affair with Chen Long. After all, a SS event is not to be given 100 percent as ranking point is not much important, that what it used to be to him in the early days. He already qualified and as so, WC shall be given more attention than BAC. Get it? ;)

16. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

林丹:犯错后望简单打好球 林李大战更是体育精神

17. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Hmmmm, wonder why he even enter this tournament if there is no plan to play his best, if your analysis is correct

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That may be so.

But for a particular athlete, a tournament is taken in context of one's overall target.

If you are world no.1 and have a healthy lead in points, the BAC points don't really matter.

Prize money? If your significant sponsorships as world no.1 and one of the biggest names in badminton are already assured for the year, prize money has decreased significance.

If you already have 40+ superseries titles, winning BAC is just a bit of sugar on top.

But far more important is to gauge the form of your competitors and yourself. The winning is secondary. It is better to keep your hand in match play, not be worried about losses but definitely use those losses to examine areas in your own game and the opponent's game. You learn more in a loss than a win (so long as you put some effort but not go full blast). And, is a BAC really that important especially as your target is to build up to a very important August tournament for which the qualification and seeding is assured?

nokh88 likes this.
  19. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

第40回林李大战为何没拥抱? 李宗伟:比赛不激烈
    Nokh88 : do you want to read the whole article? Your idol has something to say.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, do you think LCW has regret not winning the WC ?

I mean i dont think so. He already wins many titles 44/45SS? Probably he has more titles than LinDan.

WC is a tournament played every year. It just feels weird like so what if win and so what if dont win.