Who will win the Sudirman Cup?

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by hm..., May 29, 2001.

1. hm...

hm... Guest

It seems that different people have different answers.

Most journalists said Demark will win since it occupies all the top ranking list.

Most fans said Indonesia will win because 99.9% fans are from Indonesia.

Most coaches said Korea will win because Korea did win not only once, but twice. There doubles are undefeatable. Keep in mind there are three doubles while only two singles in the Sudirman Cup.

Most players said China will win because very few players have enough confidence when against Chinese players.

Whom I am going to listen to? :p

2. knock-out

knock-out Guest

An interesting way to look at it! Some good points.
    By the way, does hm... stand for "high modulus"? (as in graphite)
    I think the USA will win it 'cause I always cheer for the underdog, and they did get past their first opponent.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

GO CANADA! :)

4. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Finals: US vs. Canada

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

(sound of alarm clock waking me up and bringing me back to reality). :)

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    China. They are the most well-rounded team with very strong players in the WS and WD, plus good players in the rest. Do check out Alvin's post under the thread "Predictions for Sudirman Cup" started by Fan.

Korea to pull off an upset with wins in the MD, XD and MS. If they take the two doubles and HI Lee does his job, the cup is Korea's for taking. Some problems though:

i)XD have not been competing for a long time due to KIm DM's injury. Ra KM apparently had a thigh operation as well.
    ii)If Kim plays in the XD, chances are that Lee DS and Yoo YS will be fielded in the MD. This is a fast-playing, good-looking but sometimes error-prone and inconsistent pair. May not be able to perform under pressure, as shown from their loss to the Zhangs during last yr's Thomas Cup semis.
    iii)How ready is HI Lee? He has beaten Xia (invitation match), Ji (on homesoil) and Chen Hong (Japan Open) but lost to the latter during the A-Cup. Pressure, too, will be on him.

Indonesia only likely to win if they take the MD (no problem!), XD (depends on form) and MS (Taufik - are you still there?).

Just a summary of other people's postings btw.

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Btw, Hendrawan of Indonesia says he's expecting China to win.

7. alvin

alvin Guest

Hendrawan is perhaps in the best position to predict, having just been immersed in the atmosphere of the A-Cup.Cos the S-Cup comprises 40% Asia Cup,40% Uber Cup a & 20% XD.
    With all his experience , including the T-Cup, the U-Cup ,Olympics etc ,( of course) he would know the capabilities of Chen Hong, Zhang/Zhang,Taufik ,Hyun Il well as of the present.
    To me he is not the type of person to mince his words.Hence they should be as accurate as they could possibly be.

8. knock-out

knock-out Guest

If that were to happen, I'd sell my car, bike, gun,TV, everything but my Aerogear 1000 and Ti-7 to get there and watch it!