Who Will Win the 2004 Olympics

Discussion in 'ATHENS 2004 non-badminton events' started by SteveStanley, Aug 16, 2004.

1. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the bulk of the medals are in medal rich areas like track-n-field (46 medals) and swimming .

it seems that the Aussies (and South Africa. ;) ) are keeping the US in control over the swimming medals, but when track-n-field comes, the US will pick up and overtake others.

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, i believe the Americans will end up on top. As for runner up, china seems to be a top candidate.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    last time around it was US, Russia, China. do you think China can over take Russia?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

yes, if russia keep breaking up into smaller countries ;)

6. yonexfanatic

apparently china has sent it's "dream team".. it is possible that china can finish ahead of russia.

then again looking at some of the events, i think i saw some of the favoured chiense losing their events and not capturing a medal at all. I guess we can include Lin Dan in that mix because that eliminates a shot at the gold.

the olympics can't be predicted

7. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

1. Canada
    2. USA
    3. Australia

8. yonexfanatic

hmm..canada coming first in the medal standings is very improbable..

9. rayeraye

rayeraye Regular Member

1. usa.
    2. russia
    3. china

10. yonexfanatic

yeah, i have to take back what i said about china coming second in the medal standings. as we've all noticed, china seems to be losing many of the events that they were heavily favored to win.

11. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

in regards to the MOST medals...i think USA will be the top...but for the most gold medals..china may have a chance...but in my opinion...if china explores more into the area of swimmin and track and field.....they will be exposed of a MUCH higher chance to get more medals...and me stronger in more sports...but im sure china will do that one day and do it successfully....coz of chinas huge population...all sorts of talent can be sought....after all china hasnt' partipated in the olympics for a very long time...in fact...i think they have been in the games for only about 8 times;) ....so their results are really VERY GOOD....keep it up china!:) :D

12. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    That's right: The USA always wins Olympics in recent years due to their success in SWIMMING and TRACK & FIELD. So far, they've already captured 16 medals in swimming - that's 16/29 medals and swimming is far from over yet. However, China has a great chance to become #2 this year as they have many more medal opportunities in the sports of badminton, table tennis, diving, gymnastics (individual apparatus), shooting, etc....

Right now though China has 5 less total medals but two more gold than USA. The rest of the nations are a ways off with Japan as a big suprise already surpassing their Sydney 2000 mark in golds (they have 8 now and only had 5 in all of Sydney). China's improvement can be gauged this way: They now have, after only 6 days of competition, 12 golds which is only 4 less than their total gold count in all of Atlanta '96!

My final prediction for total medal count:

1. USA
    2. China
    3. Russia
    4. Australia
    5. Germany

And if China doesn't get 2nd place in medal count, they should in gold.

China's overal rise in sports results at the world level is truly astounding considering that they've only been competing at the Olympics for 50 some years (much less than the Wester Sports Superpowers) and that many of their sports only started blossoming in the last 20-30 years.

If China can produce more elite athletes capable of medalling in swimming or track then they should be much closer to the USA in medals. They are already on that process though with the emergence of superstars such as Liu Xiang in 110m hurdles or Luo Xuejuan in the 100m swim events.

Look for China to aim for #1 in Beijing 2008.

13. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

I agree with you very much....I think we will see China in a lot of differnet events when they host the games in 2008...in fact ...i am hoping that i will be able to go to those games!;)

14. rayeraye

rayeraye Regular Member

whats going on wz russia???????? they are not even in top 4 right now....??

15. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    They are 3rd overall in total medals at 23 but their gold is lacking at only 3!!
    They should pick a decent number of medals from track and field.

16. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    i hope china will win but they not very good at athlete n some other sport..
    i will choose
    1.united state
    2.china
    3.australia

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    As Kwun said at the start the track and field changes everything.

Let's hope the UK start to move up the rankings.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Russia seems to be decling.

China on the other hand is going stronger than ever. although missing out on some of their traditional strong events. they managed to take medals in tennis.

and there are still one medal for tabletennis for grabs and also there are gymnastics as well as diving medals to go.

also, noticed that China is more diverse in their medal composition, with a leading 22 gold medals, the most in one field is 5 from weightlifting.

on the other hand, the US for example, have 21 gold medals but 12 of them are swimming! Japan similarly have 8 out of 13 medals coming from judo. Australia 7 out of 12 from swimming.

19. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yup, Russia is really feeling the loss of the other dozen or so states of the former USSR. If we combine all those nations as one again, it will surpass the USA's count. Even if we just combine Russia and Ukraine's, it will surpass China in total medal count.

Besides the sports mentioned above, China still has many medal hopes left in wrestling, Taekwondo, volleyball, hockey, 110m hurdles....! :)

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I have a lunch bet with a colleague that the US will beat China for the top medal position. Even when China was leading in the medal count because I am confident that the US will return strongly in athletics!

I have already won an earlier lunch bet by choosing Shon to beat Chen at badminton. Of course, I was making a lot of noise and got everybody excited about this game. We have a few TV monitors in our office. Most of them thought Chen should win comfortably, but I stood my ground and Shon never failed me! :D