Who Will Come To Singapore ?

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by Fook90, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    I hope all the top players will participate in the Singapore Open. Many players chose not to take part in the European Opens. I don't know why, maybe this is a norm after the Olympics.

Candra have been absent for quite a while, I really miss him. I hope he will partner Sigit again, like they were paired together immediately after the Sydney Olympics. He wasnt here last year to get ready together with Halim. I am sure many people will not forget this pair--they were the former world champions and world no.1. Despite the fact that they are good and unlike other sucessful pairs, they were spilt up twice.

I just hope that the new Malaysian pair, Kien Keat and Chong Ming will attend this one. I hoped for this partnership and optimistic about their results. Btw anyone has any pics of Kien Keat ?

2. seawell

seawell Regular Member

maybe chinese players will join the open. :)

3. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Actually I found something very strange. I have hoped for the partnerships of Keat/Chong Ming and Sigit/Candra. And they actually came true.

Since Sigit and Candra are accumulating points for next year's World Championships and All-England, I just hope that they attend the Singapore Open. They weren't here last year and I don't want a repeat.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    traditionally, most of the top players attend the Singapore Open. it is geographically close to most of the Asian badminton nations as well as scheduled close to the other big star tournament, the China Open.

5. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    If Candra/Sigit, Chan/Koo, Chew/Gan and Choong/ ? joins the China or Singapore Open, they would have to play the qualifying rounds. They are to bound to meet one another. This is interesting man !!! :)

Better get your tickets soon !!! They are quite reasonable. In fact, I believe you can get tickets for other tournaments at such a price.

6. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    the one who not wearing the cap... :p

Attached Files:

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    That depends on the line-up, as IBF notional ranking should apply with unranked pairs.

Candra/Sigit would get (2109+1590)*0.4 = 1480 notional ranking points, equivalent to a world ranking of 23 (for this week's ranking's that is).
    That *could* mean they will go straight into the main tournament, but they will probably be unseeded.

Things look grimmer for Chan/Koo, however: their notional ranking points would be (1326+1100)*0.4 = 970, which corresponds to a world ranking of 41. That probably means they have to do qualification.

We don't know who will partner Choong yet, but let's just assume it will be Tan Zhao Rong as some have suggested. Their notional ranking points would then be (3153+219)*0.4 = 1349, corresponding to a world ranking of #28. Probably good enough to pass qualification.

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

From the Singapore Open official website, it only shows 2 Chinese MS players, Lin Dan and Chen Hong. Does any one know if other Chinese MS players such as Xia Xuanze and Bao Chun Lai will be coming?? Thks! :)

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ouch, I just realized that the way of calculating IBF notional ranking points changed when they changed the ranking system last year. :eek:

10. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Yah. If a pair have not participated in any competitions for twelve months, they would have no ranking points. It isn't based on individual achievements. I am thinking this way but I aint' sure I am correct

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    No, what I meant was that IBF still uses notional ranking, it's just the way that it's calculated that's changed.

We'll see when the draws are out. :)

12. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

Susilo will be out due to injury:( Peter Gade, Taufik Hidayat,Lin Dan,Chen Hong,Gao Ling...and somemore will be coming

Source: www.singaporeopen.com

13. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

14. labyrinthian

According to the website, Lin Dan and Xia Xuanze will not be coming. Supposedly, the China MS will send Bao, Chen Hong and Chen Yu. How devastating!! My exams clashes with the Singapore Open, and I wont be free to watch any matches after the quarter finals!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

15. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

I am very disappointed that Lin Dan and Xia won't be competing in Sg. I have just lost 50% of my motivation to travel all the way to Sg but I think I will go coz' there r still many world class players there. How come both of them r not going?? Is it becoz; they get to go to the European tournaments and now they have to skip this Sg open?? I thought the China BA is quite rich and do not face any financial problems to send their players overseas for tournament. Why do they have to rotate their players?? :rolleyes:

16. Mikell

Mikell Regular Member

where do find the information about Lin Dan and Xia Xuanze's absents? I am very sad about this info anyway.

17. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    If Lin Dan and Xia Xuanze doesn't comes, I think Taufik has quite a chance to win. He's bent on winning and since Xia isn't coming, he can escape a tough hurdle. He always had hard time against the Chinese.

But a pity Lin Dan is not coming, Taufik had not played against him for the last two or three years. It would be exciting to watch both players play.

18. labyrinthian

Chen Hong and Zhang Ning eye hat-tricks at Aviva Open 2004
    [​IMG]
    Chen Hong aiming for record [photo by SSC/SBA]​

SINGAPORE, 27 OCTOBER 2004 – Defending champion Chen Hong could go into the record books as being the first player to win three men’s singles crowns at next month’s Aviva Open Singapore 2004 (Nov 15 –21) at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

In the past 14 editions of the Singapore Open, no player has ever completed a hat-trick of titles. Former Chinese great Zhao Jianhua won the Singapore Open (known as the Konica Cup Asian Badminton Invitation Championships then) in 1989 and then repeated his win in 1992. Arbi Heryanto also won the Singapore Open twice in 1997 and 1999.

Last year, Chen Hong became the third person to claim two Singapore Open titles when he beat unseeded compatriot Chen Yu in an exciting three-game final. In 2002, Chen Hong ousted hometown favourite Ronald Susilo in another exciting final. Chen Hong chances of competing a hat-trick this year has been further boosted as compatriots world number one Lin Dan and reigning world champion Xia Xuanze are both not competing in Singapore.

China has entered a star-studded 13 men 12 women squad for the Aviva Open 2004 and besides Chen Hong, world number five Bao Chun Lai and last year’s surprise finalist Chen Yu are also contenders for the men’s singles crown. Bao, who lost to Singapore’s Susilo in April’s Japan Open, will be eager to claim his first grand prix title for the year, while Chen Yu will be eager to win his first five-star event.

The mighty Chinese team claimed three out of five titles at last year’s Singapore Open and will be eager to defend its women singles and doubles crowns.

Reigning world champion Zhang Ning, who added the Olympics women’s singles gold to her resume in August, has already won two grand prix titles this year – Noonnoppi Korea Open and Proton Eon Malaysia Open. The 29-year-old veteran reached the final of the last three Singapore Opens (winner in 2001 and 2003) and could emulate the great Ye Zhaoying in competing a hat-trick of wins. Ye was a winner in Singapore in 1992, 1998 and 1999.

The last four Singapore Open women’s singles finals have been an all-China affair and China can also count on the likes of current world number three Gong Ruina and world number four Zhou Mi to do well. Gong won the Swiss Open and the All-England this year and will be eager to reach her first Aviva Open final. Zhou, who beat Zhang in the 2002 Singapore Open final, has yet to win any individual titles in 2004 and she will be hungry to return to winning ways.

No Chinese pair has ever won the mixed doubles event in the last 11 Singapore Open and this year, China will be counting on the likes of Chen Qiqiu and Zhao Tingting and Olympic champions Zhang Jun and Gao Ling.

Chen and Zhao are at a career high world number two after their recent Denmark Open win and German Open runner-up finish, but the pair failed to even reach the last eight of last year’s Singapore Open. Olympic champions Zhang and Gao, meantime, will be eager to add the Aviva Open title to their long list of achievements.

The last time China won the Singapore Open men’s doubles title was way back in 1992 when Chen Kang and Chen Hongyong triumphed in the final. This time round, China’s main hopes will be on current world number 10 Sang Yang and Zheng Bo. Sang and Zheng reached the final of this year’s Noonnoppi Korea Open and will be eager to claim their first five-star grand prix title.

China won this year’s Thomas and Uber Cup team competitions, collected three golds at the Athens Olympics and will be eager to continue their winning ways at the Aviva Open.

19. labyrinthian

Yupz, I agree too, it's really a great pity to miss Xia on this one, and since Lin Dan and Xia are not coming, of course I hope Bao or Chen Hong can win!!!

20. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

Based on the news report given by labyrinthian, there is no mention of Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun in the MD. They are not competing also?? Why?? :confused: