Who should represent Malaysia in MS event?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by whizkelv, Mar 24, 2005.

?

Which players should Malaysia choose (Select upto 3)

1. Lee Chong Wei

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wong Choon Han

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hafiz Hashim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roslin Hashim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sairul Amar Ayob

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kuan Beng Hong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    there are no major international tournaments after the sudirman cup... not sure about malaysia domestic match... unless beng hong or roslin can prove they r in really good form either in training or domestic circuit, otherwise Choong Hann could be rest assured of a place in the world meet.

2. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Don't think Kuan Beng Hong would have the chance for the world meet anyway. How could he prove that he deserves a place? Maybe unless he does extremely well in national local circuit. But does it mean the same in a world class tournament?? In term of experience, mental strength especially when palying with star players and under pressure.

The last major tournament before August is the Sudirman Cup and Malaysia is still in Division 2, won't be playing against any big guns for men events. (p/s: is Beng Hong in the squad?)

Anyway, there would be only one reason if Beng Hong is really the third Malaysian MS flying to LA: TO Prepare him for Next year's Thomas CUp.

3. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    lee choong wei-malaysias best hopes as he has all the shots, very good footwork,can put the shuttle away and is extremely quick.

hafiz-same relli as lee choong wei without as much explosive movement, still good as his relaxed style wins him matches(funny he is so different from his brother who bounces everywhere)

wong choong hann-his last chance to win, the most experienced, one of the quickest players in the world. at 2003 world champs no-one expected him to get far yet he got runners up spot, getting their incredibly easily. he peaked for that tournament and it showed with the best display of badminton IMO. if he peaks again he will be a definated title hope.

IMO-roslin is passed it and has never performed at major tournaments whereas wong choong hann has performed well at big tournaments.

you can't deny hafiz and lee choong wei,they will get experience and are the best players malaysia have got, but wong choong hann could still give them a good game if not beat them on his day.

lee choong wei,hafiz hashim, and wong choong hann!

4. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    actually i dont really agree that wch is really that fantastic of a player.i saw him playing at 2003 wc final.xia was making most of the errors in the 2nd game.

5. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

u're absolutely right:)

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    From the Sudirman Cup lineup, you can sort of tell which 3 are going.

7. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    shawn30_k

if u had watched wongs earlier rounds you would of seen that wong is a fantastic player. xia was making the errors because of the pressure, and fast pace wong was playing at. surely you try not to make errors which wong did and waited for a xia error. plus i have seen that match, got it on tape, and from what i saw wong played well in the second set and half of the third, xia was in control in the first and second half of the third. by saying wong is not a fantastic player is a bit short sighted, he is a former world number 1 and got to the world champs final 2003 and played well.

8. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

I feel Yap should send KBH if he is thinking of long term prospects.To be fair to everybody he should send the player most likely to win the WC.:cool: :cool: :cool:

9. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Malaysia MS shall shine

This will be Wong Choon Hann last World Championship and Wong has shown he's still very capable by reaching semi final in All England 2005. I think with the 3 amigos, namely Lee Chong Wei, Hafiz and Choon Hann, Malaysia still stand a very decent chance of grabbing the trophy. Compare to 2003 lineup, I think our MS is stronger. I also expect Mew Choo to create some major upset, I only hope she doesn't get bad draw and meet Chinese players in round 1.
    Don't forget, the only reason BAM hire Li Mao is for this event and I think our players can deliver.

10. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

Our players will deliver, but they will need some luck as well to reach the semis or even the finals, hopefully they will be drawn in different quarters of the draw from the Chinese players (Lin Dan/Chen Hong etc) and even the Indonesians (Taufik/Sony).

But for entertainment purposes, im hoping for a LCW Taufik final, will be a great match, but for malaysia winning the WC Mens Singles, im hoping for a LCW - Hafiz final, with one of them beating WCH along the way!!! :D

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Roslin Hashim, KBH and Sairul!!! :D:D:D

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Currently the Msian Line up is #1 Lee Chong Wei , #2 Hafiz , #3 Still have not decided yet.

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My analysis

Yap may sound tough but I think it's pretty much a done deal for MS selection, LCW, Hafiz and Choon Hann unless injury strikes. Malaysia still need Choon Hann to "clear path" for his team mates as Kwun Beng Hong and Ayub are too raw for that.
    The scenario of LCW vs Taufik in the final can occur only because the draw is good where :
    1)Taufik take care of 2 Chinese players(Lin Dan and Boa) in upper bracket;
    2)LCW take care of Choon Hann who took care of Chen Hong in early round in lower bracket :D
    See, not that difficult, at least on paper :D
    Malaysia boleeeeeeh!

14. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Taufik has 50/50 chance to beat any of Lin Dan or Bao so he has 25% to face LCW if LCW can reach final.

Bottom line the chances that those 2 reach final is less than 10%.

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Choong Hann out to win coaches’ hearts

[size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Monday May 23, 2005
    [size=+2]Choong Hann out to win coaches’ hearts[/size]

PETALING JAYA: National singles badminton player Wong Choong Hann has already won the hands of his bride, Leaw Pik Sim.

Now he sets his sights on winning the hearts of the coaches in confirming his place in the World Badminton Championships, which will be played in Los Angeles in August.

The 28-year-old southpaw will be tying the knot with his long-time girlfriend on June 11 and by then, Choong Hann hopes his place in the world meet will be confirmed.

Choong Hann, the world number 11, is the third highest ranked Malaysian singles player after Lee Chong Wei (fourth) and Mohd Hafiz Hashim (sixth).

However, youngster Kuan Beng Hong is also in contention for a place in the world meet after he was announced as one of the qualifiers.

Beng Hong is ranked 12th but it is up to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to pick their final three singles representatives for the world meet.

A country can nominate three players, provided they are all ranked inside the top 24. The BAM have until June 2 to decide on the initial list. The International Badminton Federation (IBF) will confirm all entries, including those who are on the reserve list and wild cards by July 11.

Although Choong Hann was the runner-up in the last world meet in Birmingham two years ago, his performances have not been that encouraging since then. He has since slipped down the pecking order but Choong Hann has checked the slide with a semi-final appearance in the All-England in March.

“I still cannot say for sure that I will be in the team for the World Championships,” said Choong Hann. “All I can do is to continue giving my best in training. It’s up to the coaches to decide whether I am good enough at the end of the day.”

But one thing is for sure at the moment. Choong Hann is not giving up on the singles game although he filled in superbly in the mixed doubles role with Wong Pei Tty in the Sudirman Cup campaign in Beijing two weeks ago.

“I want to concentrate on the singles for the time being. But I like the idea of playing in the doubles at the same time. I can improve my reflexes and speed. It does help me to become better in the singles,” he said.

Choong Hann partnered Pei Tty twice in Malaysia’s Sudirman Cup campaign. They paved the way for Malaysia’s 3-1 win over Japan in the playoff for promotion to Division One with a straight-game win over Ikeda Shintaro-Tomomi Matsuda.

Choong Hann-Pei Tty also gave a good account of themselves against Taiwan – beating Tsai Chia-hsin-Chien Yu-chin in straight games.

16. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    If I was Mr. YKH, I will send Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Wong Choong Hann.
    Even WCH rang is lower than LCW and Hafiz. But he is a 'old ginger'.
    He has more fighting spirit and experiences than the others.

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

It's already confirmed that Choong Hann will go to LA. He can handle with big pressure and opponents compared to Beng Hong.

18. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  19. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

malaysia 2005 WC line-up:

ms:
    lee chong wei
    muhd hafiz hashim
    wong choong hann

ws:
    wong mew choo
    mudukasan a/p sutheaswari (have to look for sponsor herself)

md:
    chan chong ming - koo kien keat
    mohd fairuzizuan tazari - lin woon fui
    tan bin shen - ong soon hock

wd:
    wong pei tty - chin ee hui
    ooi sock ai - mooi hing yau

xd:
    koo kien keat - wong pei tty
    mohd fairuzizuan - fong chew yen

20. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member