Which racquet meets my requirements ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Scooby, May 3, 2001.

1. Scooby

Scooby Guest

Hi,

i will be going to Bangkok pretty soon, and might be getting a racquet there since it is cheaper than Singapore. Would like to know what you guys think ?

1) 3U MP100
    2) Carlton AB900
    3) Carlton AB2000
    4) TiSP SR
    5) Ti-10

I play doubles mainly, but dun smash a lot though would love the extra power when called upon. I am more of a finesses player I guess.

2. ari

ari Guest

would u help me get some rackets from there too?

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

From what u are saying,It look slike u are offensive doubles player. Then i think u should go for a head heavy racket.

I think u can Select the Swing power 900 as it is balance is more towards the head.

Ab 900 and Ab 2000 are great Rackets. Mp 100 is a great punch racket but, i dont think it is great for net play. I have tried the 2u version only and i think there might be a decent amount of net play in Club level badminton.

I think from all the above mentioned Rackets u should go for the Ti - 10.

If u can pick up a 3U version with G4 grip and make sure the balance is more towards the head then u have the best racket in the world.

There are other rackets also.i would like u to find out prices for these.If u have enough time.

If u are buying Swing power 900 then u might a s well buy the yang Yang SSp 900.

An exact replica for the half the price.

I hope u dont mind if i mail u the list

Best of luck.

4. budi

budi Guest

get the IsoTiSP SX, it can swing fast and not that head heavy.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    All I can say is that my AB900 has never let me down. My 2U MP100 has been collecting dust since I bought the 900... Can't really say much about the others.

6. Jeff

Jeff Guest

id agree with Mag, i play doubles with the AB 900. It's a great racket to use. Even though it feels heavy, you can still move it with ease. Like yourself, i dont smash often, but when the time comes, i would love to have that power availible. Because its head heavy, that power is there. AB 900 isnt THAT great for singles though, i cant seem to get the birdy far on a clear. And because im starting to get into singles more (my partner isnt that dependable to be there) so im going to get a Ti-10 once i got enough money.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I use it for both doubles and singles. It's very easy to clear from base to base with. It's you playing the racquet, not the other way around...

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Wow. "Not easy" to use on clears? When I got my new AB 900 in on Wednesday, I played with it that night and the very first thing I discovered about the racquet is its tremendous power on clears - without taking a full swing during warm-up, I was hitting most of my clears a bit beyond the baseline. In fact, it cleared the shuttle so deep and effortlessly, I figure it will save me half a step scrambling backwards in singles to reach a deep shot because I can still hit it back deep without being perfectly postioned under the bird. Maybe it's a string issue for you, Jeff.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Brett,

could that be due to the new strings? i have noticed that new strings does make a difference.

i'd go out and test a brand new racket. my initial reaction is always "wow". then if i play with it for a couple more weeks, the "snappiness" starts to go away.

let us know if you get the same experience as me.

sorry, i didn't mean to say that the AB 900 is bad. ok? :)

10. Brett

Brett Regular Member

To Kwun/Jeff??

Strings could have something to do with it. I played with it again last night and found the power to be a bit less, although at the time I attributed it to either the temperature (last night 17C compared to 26C on Wednesday). The racquet comes pre-strung, but using only a single string, rather than separates for the cross and main strings, so I would have thought it would have held the tension a bit longer. I am planning to upgrade the string pretty soon to a better string at a higher tension.

I didn't mean to attack your opinion, merely to remark on how dissimilar it was from my experiences with the same racquet. In fact, so far, I do have a criticism of the racquet - I have poor control with it on drop shots. I am consistently hitting the top net tape with my overhead drops and my underhand drops tend to spring up about 1-1.5m over the net. However, my serves have been a lot better and the drives and smashes seem to be more precise than with my old racquet. I think I can cure these problems by replacing the string and practicing more, since it takes longer to become accutomed to touch and control shots with a new racquet than other sorts of shots.

Finally, who exactly is this responding to my posting? Is Kwun using "Jeff" as a nomme de guerre (not likely as he seems to be a Yonex man) or is Jeff impersonating our revered Great Master of the BC site?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: To Kwun/Jeff??

Brett, kwun was really me. and Jeff was Jeff. i just decided to barge into your conversion. can i? :p

i wonder if the pros use fresh strings when they play tournaments..

have fun with your new racket!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

and i have yet to use a Carlton racket. i may have used one in the good old old days. but not even once in recent history.

hm... may be that should be in my shopping list when i go back to HK... :)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

whoever try to impersonate me will suffer real bad. i will make sure he'll never be able to watch badminton ever again and i will tie him to a chair and and force him to watch golf for 5 straight days.

14. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Kwun, as webmaster of the whole badminton universe, you have the power to cause players' strings to snap mid-game, so of course you can input your thoughts wherever you like. I was just confused because your comments sounded like you and Jeff were the same person.