Where do i play in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by typhoon, Jan 29, 2004.

1. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Hey again Brave!

There isn't much clubs where you can be coached. For seniors, you can go to Atwater Club, but I think it is quite expensive but I don't know the fees.

Also, you can practice at Jean-Claude Malepart center with Bernard Lupien. He is a really good coach. But, I don't know when they practice and I think it is only from September to the beginning of April.

Another place would be at Ahuntsic Cegep with Richard. Does he take other players in his practices? You should ask.

Perhaps, the CBRNM club will open now a club for adults. It will be coached by Michel Goyer, one of the top coaches in Quebec. He recently told me that it is a plan, but we will know much more in August.

There is also at University of Montreal with myself :D . But, 90% of the members are from the University. We take 5 players, usually former A-players of the team, to join us in the practices. Perhaps, if I have some free time in September, I will give some private lessons. But, it is a project for now.

I believe there is also a club in Pierrefonds. But I don't know much of it.

I forgot to mention the National team center in Claude-Robillard! But, well, ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's it!

Perhaps, you can PM me, so we can talk by phone. But, you should wait until August to know. Also, perhaps at Badminton Quebec they have more information about clubs. But, we are far away from the Denmark system!!!

Hope this helps!

JR

2. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

I forgot....

There is a great club in Anjou: ABA. For recreative people, it is really great. I guess there is no coaching there, but it seems that the social part is well organized. I may know someone there. For the caliber, I think it goes from backyard people to B level.

PM me if interested.

JR

3. zelda

zelda Regular Member

Can you give out more info: tel, add. schedule etc. Thanks in adavance.

4. sabutterbread

sabutterbread Regular Member

Mcgill Student
    Places to play in summer

For those of you who wants to get some practices in summer, there are the good place.

CBRNM: only wednesday from 7-10 starting next week (not sure), drop in $2. there is around 3-4 courts.

Edouard-Montpetit (located in longueil): wednesday and friday from 7-10 (not sure to time). more than 10 courts

Maisonneuve: not sure the day and time have to get inform.

hope this help! (don't blame me if the time and date is not right :p )

5. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info, but what exactly is the CBRNM and where is it located?

6. sabutterbread

sabutterbread Regular Member

Mcgill Student
    From what i know...it is located in
    6 rue Lazard Mount RoyalI don't know know if this is the Coach home address or the actual place. I will try to inform and reply as soon as possible;)

7. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    How's at Claude Robillard so far?

8. li_ka_shing168

li_ka_shing168 Regular Member

student, restaurant manager (millionaire LOL)
    hi everyone, i heard that there is a competition this weekend at cégep maisonneuve, i want to go there but i don't even have an info about it, so if one of u montrealers have some please reply thx in advance:)

9. hong

hong Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi
    ya there will be one
    but i think that the subscriptions are over.... not sure though
    i just msged my friend and he said that the inscription is not over

#69 hong, Jun 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  10. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

I don't think I can go today because I have to go to my friend's birthday. Take some picture and have a good time!

11. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

They practice at Sophie-Barat School: 1239 Gouin est between Christophe-Colomb and St-Hubert

CBRNM is a junior badminton club. One of the best top 5 junior clubs in Quebec. They have a partnership with Ville de Montreal. It isn't a private club as Atwater or MAA.

JRMTL

#71 JRMTL, Jun 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  12. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

I don't have the info, but I can call someone who might know. If you are interested, PM me!

JRMTL

13. RSL in Montreal

RSL in Montreal New Member

When is the time the best player in Ahuntsic be there

I will go the Claude-Robillard on Thursday night, maybe have time to have a drop in to Ahuntsic.
    First time here, can't image there are so many fans here. Nice to see your guys. JRMTL and Hong!

14. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Hi RSL!

Is it the first time you will go to Centre claude robillard and Ahunstic?

15. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Hunting for badminton clubs

So, the new season is about to start and where do you guys plan to play?

16. Brave_Turtle

Student
    At Centre-claude Robillard, Vanier, Cespum (UDM) and Aunhstic

17. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Not sure about that, but I know they have cut a lot of courts in Ahuntsic for basketball teams. The colle club in Ahuntsic will have only 2 courts for their practices. So, I don't know if courts will be available as before there.

JRMTL

18. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Looking for earlybirds at the YMCA

Hey all, I considered starting a new thread, but figured that this would be a small thing anyhow.

Contrary to most people, I'm more of a morning person... I go to play at the YMCA Guy Favreau, anytime between 8am and noon usually (since all my classes at Concordia and my work hours are afternoon and later).

I could, theoretically, go to the YMCA in chinatown everyday to play badminton, but, there just aren't enough people there in the mornings!

If anyone wants to wake up early, I'm always looking for new people to play with. There are maybe 3-4 regular badminton players who come on random days throughout the week, and I can sometimes drag some of my friends out of bed, but other than that, I only have those psycho ping pong elders to keep me company.

(Not that I'm making fun of those ping pong guys... though the youngest of them is probably 60 years old, they all look pretty tough.)

19. Andrew_hk

Andrew_hk New Member

Student
    whats the procedure to go play at guy favereau??
    do u have to call and reserve court?
    or do u just go in and pay? and how much?
    or is there a membership?
    what are the hours and is it open during summer?

lots of Q's
    :)

20. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Guy Favreau requires a YMCA membership to get in. If you don't have one, your options are:

A) Get someone to get you in with one of their guest passes
    B) Keep your eyes on the local Hour or Mirror newspapers, they oftentimes have free coupons!
    C) Pay something like 13$ for a day pass (which lets you use all facilities for the day, such as the pool, weightroom, track, machines, etc...)
    D) Show up and BEG! (I'm serious! If they're feeling nice, they'll actually let you try it out for free if they've never seen you before.)

Weather or not you need reservations depends on the time of day. I don't think you are allowed to reserve unless you are a YMCA member unfortunately, so you'll have to get one of your friends who is to do that if you really want to reserve.

YMCA Guy favreau is open from like 6:30am to 10pm on weekdays, and 6:30 to about 7 on Saturdays, 6:30 to about 5 on sundays. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong?)

Membership is anywhere from 20$ to 60$ per month, depending on your student/lowincome/corporate status, you'll have to check that out for yourself... look 'em up in the yellowpages and give them a call. Yes, it is open during the summer too. Badminton is not available for all open hours though, sometimes courts are taken up by aerobic classes, etc... you have to check the schedule. But mornings before 11am and nights after 7 are generally open for badminton.

If you go during the mornings (between 7:30 am and 11am, like me) then you generally don't have to reserve, there just aren't that many people who wake up that early. If you go at night however, anything after 7pm is usually packed tight reservation-wise. If you want to reserve a court for night time, you will have to call 2 days in advance at 6:30 in the morning (opening time) because EVERYONE tries to reserve the night spots.

Generally though, if you go at night and are nice to people, they'll invite you to join games eventually, it's a very friendly crowd. Having a reservation does help guarentee court time though.

#80 Jinryu, Mar 11, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005