where did badminton originate

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Shemia, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Shemia

Shemia Guest

I need a history of this sport Badminton, where did it originate.
    How did it get started?.
    I need a year and country name.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I can't help you with the year but it orginated in India under the name of Poona. It was then taken back to the UK by the british troops and remodified by the king and called Badminton.

It was in a town or city or something called Badminton where the game Poona was renamed as Badminton.

3. Canyt

Canyt Guest

O... it was Govenor Badminton that took the game back to Britain..that's why it's called Badminton...hope it can help~

4. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    Actually the name badminton comes from "Badminton House" which is a big stately home/estate in England owned by the Duke of Beufort. But the game played here didn't have the same rules as today. It was just a pastime for the elite classes of England. They didn't use rackets with strings, they used skin covered bats.

I've got a book all about the history of badminton but I can't find it at the moment so I can't give more details.

5. Do you know where I can get a book on the history of badminton?
    It will really help me out.

6. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    The book is a full history of the development of the game from it's earliest origins in India and China, to about 1980. It's in storage and I can't even remember the title. But I think it was simply "A history of badminton" about 200 pages with lots of old photos e.t.c. I'll try to find the book if I haven't lost it.

7. Alan Low

Alan Low New Member

Vehicle Technician
    Hi, did a bit of research and came up with this.
    Badminton came from a childs game called "Battledore and Shuttlecock", some form of the sport was played long ago in Ancient Greece and Egypt.
    The game was called "Poona" in India during the 19th century, and British Army Officers stationed there took the Indian version back to England in the 1860's. In 1873 it was played at a party given by the Duke of Beaufort at Badminton, his estate, and bacame known as "The Badminton Game", the modern rules were set forth in the basic form by the Bath Badminton Club organized in 1887.
    The International Baminton Federation was formed in 1934, there weremember groups in 42 counties.

hope that helps.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: RE: where did badminton originate

Fr badminton books search ABE.com

9. MoS

MoS Regular Member

software
    check this link out - some interesting stuff...

Incidentally Pune (aka poona in India) is the name of the place where the British are supposed to have played Badminton (or Battledore) first - it was a recreation spot for British officers when they were lording over India...

here is a very brief history --> http://www.intbadfed.org/history.html

check these links out more interesting info...

http://www.intbadfed.org/develop.html
    http://www.intbadfed.org/info.html

check out the scientific paper - gives some interesting info on badminton and asian and europen players- but beware it includes words like anthropometry (wtf?) and perceptual psychology :eek:

http://www.intbadfed.org/review.htm

the paper says ' The demands of badminton are such that it is one of the few sports where elite players have a greater injury risk in training than in competition (Jørgensen & Winge, 1990). ' How very very true!!! Most of our injuries to the top players seem to have happened in Training (except of course for the recent Hidayat groin pull/strain in the world championship semi final against Hendrawan!)