What should I be working on?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcho, Mar 29, 2019.

1. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Hi guys!

Been awhile and wanted to post an update on my progression and looking for new things I can work on to improve again.
    Here's match I played a week ago:
    (I'm the guy with the headband)
    All criticism is welcomed as always.
    Thanks in advance!

#61 pcho, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Simeon likes this.
  2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

- You have quick feet and strong push-offs around the court, but in this match you are scrambling a lot more than your opponent despite the quick footwork - this points to a need for better tactics and singles playstyle. For example, in the first set you were very aggressive smashing everything, but you couldn't keep that up over two sets. Play a more measured game and put pressure on your opponent in other ways.

- Scrambling is due to not being in control of the rally. You can be quick but still be reactive to your opponent instead of being proactive. A few times you played good net rolls that created very defensive lifts from your opponent which gave you control of the rally and you almost always won those points. You can generate these opportunities in other ways not just from tight net rolls (punch clears, fast drops).

- You need to practice overhead shots in terms of kinetic chain. At the moment all of your shots lack "punch", whether it's clears or smashes. This is because you are mostly only using your elbow rotation and forearm power. There is no power coming from your body rotation or shoulder rotation. Your opponent's technique in this video is a good example.

- Your high serve is a great example of your preference in only using forearm for power generation. A longer, fuller swing would result in a much higher serve (you should be able to serve so high to the point that the shuttle drops vertically at the opponent's backline).

pcho and dnewguy like this.
  3. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

Your opponent caught you with another drop near the net a few times while you were moving back to base. You must have noticed that too.
    I would usually move just a step back just enough to pounce forward for a net kill.

Cheers.

pcho likes this.
  4. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Wow, can't believe we are 2 months past 2021 already. Hope many of you guys are able to get back onto courts again. I'm just here for an update on my progression and asking all the coaches here for advice on what I should be working on as alway :).

I have 2 clips, one of some sparring games:

and one of my smash:

Thanks in advance everyone!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Very nice! VRC!

Smash practice: looks good.

Body smash be careful of your aim. Look at how your opponent is carrying his racket. Best to aim at his right shoulder to jam his stroke.

Also don't always smash full power. Depending on where your opponent is, sometimes a steep clip smash is better. And that final one, can't tell if it was in, but if it was, it's a good one because it's a surprise deep one to the corner.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#65 visor, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You are a strong player.

You get caught out tactically.

You like to play fast shots from the corner with the opponent controlling the middle of the court. It’s relatively easy for the opponent to hit a fast shot back which leaves you scrambling as you are still coming out of the corner. You probably find you can keep this up in the first game but second and third games become progressively tougher. To help yourself out, think of hitting over the opponent more to give yourself recovery time. This will also help you pace yourself.

Sometimes your shots are quite predictable. In certain positions, you tend to choose the same shot to play and opponents are watching for this. For instance, receiving low serve and your mind drops slightly in concentration. You wait for the shuttle to drop slightly and you play a routine net shot. The opponent has picked this up and worked out if your hitting point has dropped a bit, you have dropped your alertness so they do a quick step in to catch you off guard.

Try to think of playing three possible corners from each position - this will keep the opponent guessing. At the moment, I think your game is predictable when put under pressure or caught off a bit when there is a disguised shot.

7. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Hey visor!

Thanks for the tips! I will try to work on my accuracy/steepness for my smashes more. My stick smash hasn’t been developed well yet.

8. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Hi Cheung,

Thanks for the detailed post!

Yes, I was taught to return shots under pressure back with good pace but I should sometimes change it up a bit and slow it down by popping the bird up more over the opponent.

You are 100% correct in my service return, in my mind if I am pushing it, I am very focused in attacking the serve, but when I am netting it back I play a lot more loose. I will try to mixing it up next time to make sure my opponent doesn’t predict my shots too easily.

9. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

That was a really intense sparring session, you have a lot of speed around the court and strength to hit full court shots.

As Cheung mentioned your shot choice and placement is predictable, you mostly played the back court and smashes go straight 80-90% of the time. If you add variation/deception in the form of drops and go cross when the opponent has moved over to one side then you'll find things easier.

You favour your backhand more than necessary instead of going for the round the head stroke @ 1:17 you opt for two awkward backhands in a row. In that last rally you return multiple times while getting pressured with the backhand but it's only after you throw in a forehand that you catch your opponent off guard.

When you do go for your backhand net at the front, make sure you square up/don't leave your front food forward. If the opponent hits to any other corner your footwork won't be in the best position to reach it.