What If??

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by Byro-Nenium, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    What if the MD was 1st then the MX then the MS then LD or LS.

would the outcome have been different?

thanx for all replies

2. Ming

Ming Guest

Ahhhhh Shuuuuuuuuut Uuuuuup !!!!

3. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    hahaha, its that time of the month huh ming??

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Don't see the diff. MS will still be the deciding factor and Hendrawan will still be feeling the pressure coz he HAS to win. With due respect to Hendrawan, when I saw that they were fielding him instead of Taufik, I told myself, "It's all over".

Dunno if Hidayat would have done any better though.

Supposing though that when you've reached the pits, the only way to go is up again (Edgar from "King Lear" said that, in a cheem-er form of English). If Indonesia is hitting the slums now, HOPEFULLY it will make a comeback. Optimism in the face of loss, which is so unlike me.

Even then, Li Yongbo has already stated that if China takes this S-Cup, it would remain in their hands for a long long time. I said "ten years" in another posting, which means they would still be holding it when I am 29. Arrgghh, I don't even wanna think of it... being on the verge of 30, that is.

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I wasn't too convinced myself that Hendrawan could have taken Chen Hong. But imagine if they did field Taufik instead of Hendrawan. Would the chances have been any better? Maybe, slightly but then again, Hendrawan took out China's No.1 on several occasions such as the Thomas Cup and the Sydney Olympics Xia Xuanze, but Hendrawan always loses to Ji Xinpeng.

So i guess it was kind of a stab in the dark for the Indonesian coaches. Since Taufik played the previous match against Lee, might as well let Hendrawan play the final.

6. Al

Al Guest

That arrangement is not possible coz the chinese MD (Zhang Jun) played in the MX as well. Li Yongbo (chinese head coach) mentioned that they gave up MD to concentrate the MX and it make sense to field Zhang Jun instead of Liu Yong or Chen Qijiu because of the possiblity that MX/MD would be played last and MS, LS and LD in between of MX and MD.

To field Taufik instead of Hendrawan is a risk too. No doubt Taufik has performed pretty well in the previous 2 matches, but he lost to Chen Hong in Asia Cup.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hendrawen has the game which should frustrate a player like Chen Hong not allowing him to smash by using deception.
    But Chen played very well in the 3rd game. I noticed he played Hendrawen to the back court more and played a number of net shots only when Hendrawen was away from the net. This was more like the tactics used in the Olympic final by Ji Xin Peng.

PS. Haven't been able to see the first two games yet!!

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Tang Xianhu, who used to coach Hendrawan during his time in Indonesia, is now the Chinese MS coach. There was some article on Chinabadminton, in which Tang discussed how Ji beat Hendrawan in Sydney. Pushing him to the back, as Cheung mentioned.

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

what she meant was," the die is cast".No point for what ifs.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    U should get to know Ming better

11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Ji Xinpeng is also a very fit player that can get all of the deceptive shots of Hendrawan. Unlike Xia Xuanze who was completely worn out by Hendrawan at the Sydney Olympics

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Interesting to note that Chen Hong has upgraded his skills at

the net and able to match Gade and Hendrawan at their forte.

Wonder how he is going to fair if he bumps into Gopi.Zhao Jian

Hua still not having a high opinion of CH in contrast to Li Yong Bo.

13. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Zhao ..

I can understand that why Zhao has such opinions.

No doubt, CH is a decently good player. He has yet to put that down that definitive element in his game.

Zhao could put anyone on his knees when he was on form. Deceptive, fast and accurate. His trademark, pin-point jump smashes from 3/4 court.

Yang Yang was consistency personified. 45th point and the 1st point bore no difference. And he hardly ever made mistakes in his game. He too was fast and very, very fit. Abeit a little normal in his strokes. But he was consistent. Thats why of all the men's singles China ever produced, he has won the most titles.

Han Jian, was the rubber man that never said die and had a doggedly stubborn defence.

Xiong Guobao was Mr Cool. Always calm and cool no matter the score. He too had superb fitness and and exceptional defence.

Chen Hong ?? Like I said, Zhao Jianhua probably didn't think too much of him as he has not put his definitive signature on his game.

But guess he has another year or two to arrive at that. He's only 21 this year right?