What happened to P-E Hoyer?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Does anyone know what happened to Poul-Erik Hoyer? According to earlier press releases, he was goin to make a last appearance at the WGP finals. This was maybe a month ago. But now, he's not in the line-up... Did he decide to pass, or was he replaced by Anders Boesen? Does anyone know?

It's sad, I was really looking forward to seeing him in a big tournament again... I definitely prefer his style of playing over Gade's, for instance.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I thought Poul-Erik retired from Badminton........

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, yes he did, but he decided to make one last appearance in Brunei. But apparently something got in the way.

4. Andreas

Andreas Guest

Poul Erik Hoyer has stopped playing badminton at professional level.............actualy, he is going to play his last show-game tonight in Slagelse Hallen, against Jon Holst who is talentcoach.......and believe me, he's a good trainer, I've got myself!!

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Wow, thanks for the inside info! Still, it's so strange, I've gotta quote the article just to prove I'm not insane. I mean, how could you misinterpret this?

(By the way, Andreas, I hope you come back with a report on how the game turned out!)

---

Hoyer in, Hidayat out of Brunei WGPF

25/01/2001 : The Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) have confirmed to the International Badminton Federation that teen sensation Taufik Hidayat will not compete at the World Grand Prix Finals in March. [...]

Former Olympic champion Poul-Erik Hoyer, on the other hand, will play at this, the 2000 edition of the 6* competition, which will be held at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium, Bandar Seri Begawan, from 28 March - 1 April.

Hoyer formally announced his retirement from the international scene at the Danish Open in October last year, but has agreed to make the WGPF his last tournament.