Viet Upsets Made In Singapore

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009' started by aramistuscany, Jun 11, 2009.

1. aramistuscany

aramistuscany Regular Member

Taken from The Straits Times, Friday June 12, Sport Page B13

Nguyen credits Republic for win over world No. 1 Lee

By Terrence Voon

HE MAY be Vietnamese, but giant-killer Nguyen Tien Minh's remarkable triumph over world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei yesterday was made in Singapore.

The unheralded shuttler - who stunned the Malaysian top seed at the Aviva Open Singapore badminton tournament last night - trains here at least once a month, and counts Singapore men's coach Asep Suharno among his mentors.

The US$200,000 (S$292,000) Super Series event is also a happy hunting ground for the 26-year-old, who fashioned an upset over then-world No. 13 Chen Yu of China in last year's competition.
    This time round, he claimed an even bigger scalp, beating the 2008 Olympic silver medallist 24-22, 20-22, 21-19 in an hour-long tussle at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

'I can't believe it, I can't believe it,' said an elated Nguyen after the men's singles win - his first over Lee. 'Tonight, I cannot sleep.'

Peter Gade, the Danish second seed, also fell in the round-of-16 stage yesterday, losing to Indian qualifier Anup Sridhar 19-21, 21-16, 13-21.
    But the evening's biggest cheers were reserved for Nguyen, who took the battle to Lee right from the first serve.

His all-out attacking style confounded the top seed, who struggled to find his rhythm and eventually lost the first game after being pushed to deuce.

Lee survived two game points to claim the second game, but Nguyen, a
    semi-finalist at the 2007 South-east Asia Games, was not to be denied.
    And when the Vietnamese landed a cross-court smash just beyond Lee to win the rubber, he threw his racket aside and fell to the floor in elation. 'My confidence was down (after losing the first game), so I just tried not to make mistakes,' said the world No. 11.

'Maybe Singapore is lucky for me,' he quipped.

Nguyen revealed that he is a regular visitor at the Singapore Sports School, where he trains with local shuttlers. His trips here are made possible by the close ties between the badminton associations of Vietnam and Singapore.

Lee had no complaints about the loss.

He said: 'My preparations for the tournament were not good, and I played badly, so I have to accept the result."

#1 aramistuscany, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That's the trouble with Spore media. Always desperate and exaggerate to claim credit for Spore no matter how weak the link.

3. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Well done Nguyen!! Bravo!!! It is good to see countries who do not form core of badminton playing nations doing well. It is good for sports if it spreads to more than a dozen nations.
    Expecting more fire-crackers, Nguyen, GO ON!!!!

4. aramistuscany

aramistuscany Regular Member

A Day of Shocks (Aviva Open Singapore 2009)

Taken from Today paper, Friday June 12, 2009 Page 46, Sports

Vietnam's Nguyen knocks out top seed Lee; Peter Gade also dumped

By Low Lin Fhoong

THE Aviva Open Singapore 2009 is proving to be Nguyen Tien Minh's lucky tournament. Vietnam's world No. 11 was a giant-killer at last year's tournament, despatching China's seventh seed Chen Yu in the round of 16.

Last night, he pulled off an even bigger upset, dumping out Malaysia's world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Unseeded Nguyen romped to a 24-22 win in the first set, before Lee fought back to bag the second 22-20.

Amid the roars and cheers of the 6,000-strong crowd, the duo fought point-for-point in the rubber, before a series of unforced errors by Lee saw the Vietnamese reach the finish line 21-19.

The 26-year-old sank to his knees in shock, and he was still in a daze afterwards at the post-match interview.

"After losing the second set, I lost all my confidence, but I kept pushing and attacking during the rubber," said Nguyen, who will meet China's Bao Chunlai in the last eight today.

"I've never beaten him before and I just don't believe it. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight."

Said a disappointed Lee: "I played badly today and I just couldn't relax... my opponent played a tighter game and predicted my moves well."

On a day of huge upsets in the men's singles, Denmark's Peter Gade, the second seed, was tripped up 21-19, 16-21, 21-13 by unheralded Indian Anup Sridhar.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

This news..

..ought to be posted all over Loh's thread, in the Chit-Chat section, titled "Singapore Also Can"..;)

6. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think NTM could be a singapore's 'imported foreign talent' if he wants to....!:D:D

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

agree with this:p

8. Ti10Purple

Ti10Purple Regular Member

Well , I think I would rather have a local , born in singapore , Singaporean rather than a imported one . Other countries like Malaysia , Korea , Japan can do it . Simply cannot understand why Singapore can't .

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you see the vietname papers, the news is different. ;)

This guy is sure a fighter. I saw him played well against susilo the last time. ;)

10. Ti10Purple

Taken from The Straits Times, Friday June 12, Sport Page B13

Nguyen credits Republic for win over world No. 1 Lee

By Terrence Voon

HE MAY be Vietnamese, but giant-killer Nguyen Tien Minh's remarkable triumph over world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei yesterday was made in Singapore.

The unheralded shuttler - who stunned the Malaysian top seed at the Aviva Open Singapore badminton tournament last night - trains here at least once a month, and counts Singapore men's coach Asep Suharno among his mentors.

The US$200,000 (S$292,000) Super Series event is also a happy hunting ground for the 26-year-old, who fashioned an upset over then-world No. 13 Chen Yu of China in last year's competition.
    This time round, he claimed an even bigger scalp, beating the 2008 Olympic silver medallist 24-22, 20-22, 21-19 in an hour-long tussle at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

'I can't believe it, I can't believe it,' said an elated Nguyen after the men's singles win - his first over Lee. 'Tonight, I cannot sleep.'

Wow ! He trains once a month here in Singapore already can beat LCW . I wonder if he trains everyday in Singapore will make him a World Champion ? :confused::D

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes he can. Remember how ronald susilo beat lin dan in 04 OG? If NTM trains as much as RS in SG, he could beat LD:)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  13. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Singapore has good facilities, coaches..........indeed...a world Champion is in the making.........:p

14. Ti10Purple

Singapore has good facilities, coaches..........indeed...a world Champion is in the making.........:p

Strange .......... Like what you have mentioned , Singapore has good facilities , coaches ..... I am sure they can train locals to be world class players , right ? Why are we still relying on Foreign Imports ? :confused:

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

True also, like in table tennis, after Tan Pay Fern's success...who next....?
    seems like they imported even more from chn......??

In Badmintn,...after Kenderick.....at least singapore have youngster like Ashton......the rest..from Chn, INA and Thailand......???

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

singapore ALSO can:p
    singapore boleh!:)

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What happened to those locals who live in Spore? Im sure all have the skills to beat LinDan and LCW since Spore is a great training ground.