[Video] Improvment

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lau314, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

So i played a tournament this weekend and got to quaterfinals but sadly lost too a dude that I have lost against many times like 4-6 times and never won. And I asked alot of people why I always lose. They say that I am mentaly weak. When I play against this guy they say that should show more of the will power. Of course I didn't lose just because of the way I think when I play against this dude I also lack some footwork etc too win over this guy. But right now I just want to know how to think during matches because I got to agree that I am mental weak.

Heres some videos when I play against this dude. There was alot of rally I could have won or atleast taken the shuttle.
    (I am the guy with the black shirt)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I just watched the first video.

The big tactical problem is simply your clears do not force him to the back lines of the court. So you made it easy for him.

Secondly, your speed of shots is very slow. Sometimes you have to play fast shots and run fast. Sometimes slow. But in your game all your movements are slow, your anticipation is slow, shots are slow and simply speaking, you are giving the game away like a Christmas present to the opponent.

In your training you have to push your body to move faster, have explosive power and play your shots faster. So then you have options to play fast or slow.

Lau314 likes this.
  3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

To add onto @Cheung, I counted the number of times you played clears (not lifts) in the first game:
    - 4 clears from your opponent's lifts
    - 2 clears from your opponent's clears (1 backhand, 1 round the head)

The low number is partially because you didn't play many lifts to the back that were good enough quality not to just be smashed down instead of cleared - they generally went short (your opponent doesn't have to step out of the court any time, and mostly is in front of the doubles service line), however, your opponent lifted plenty enough to you - you just preferred smash/drops on those.

The other 90% of stroke that weren't clears were midcourt loose drives/smashes/drops of which a good half of them were pies waiting to be killed because they floated over and hung in the air - too "slow" as @Cheung mentioned.

I am learning a similar mistake as you which is that I feel like I'm playing to my opponents rearcourt, but it is always LIFTING from the front, not clearing. When you're opponent knows that you smash/drop everything they lift it, they don't even need to guard the back.

To illustrate the example, you won most of your points or gained an advantage when you played clear strokes that went all the way to the back in that first game...you just didn't do it enough!

P.S. the only thing that suggests you are mentally weak here is that you believed people when they told you that you were mentally weak. You could be the strongest player mentally, but your opponent is simply outplaying you in these games - perhaps he is just very good at countering your style of play and your other opponents don't do well when given slow strokes as they don't take them early (which would then lead to them taking hard shots lower down).

#3 DarkHiatus, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Cheung likes this.
  4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    We don't know how you play against other players but perhaps because you are intimidated by this guy (due to your previous experience of losing to him many times) your normal strategy and game play gets all muddled and you play worse against him. Maybe it's not that you are mentally weak, but that you are more nervous. I have a problem with nerves in a competition too.

I have a journal where I write down various quotes that help my mental game:

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win," Sun Tsu

"You are never really playing an opponent, you are playing yourself," Arthur Ashe

"A person that is mentally tough looks at competition as a challenge to rise up to rather than a threat to back down from," Gary Mack
    (During a competition I think of this quote the most.)

Mel-Tony-bourne likes this.
  5. Mel-Tony-bourne

Mel-Tony-bourne New Member

I applaud you for posting videos of yourself for critique. I honestly believe that if you clean up the loose shots, you can beat him.
    Loose shots are poor quality shots that lack intention. Shots without intention serves no purpose. In many of the rallies, you are running around while your opponent is in control.
    Try to hit shots with firm intent in mind and fiery(anger and confidant) intensity. It will help you make better shot selections, and get rid of those nonchalant, lackadasical shots or errors. It can also help you gain control of the rallies.
    Hope this helps.

6. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

I am learning a similar mistake as you which is that I feel like I'm playing to my opponents rearcourt, but it is always LIFTING from the front, not clearing. When you're opponent knows that you smash/drop everything they lift it, they don't even need to guard the back.

I agree that everytime he lifts I drop or smash. And therefore he does not even bother do gurad the back court.

I have a tournament coming up this sunday I'll update of how it went. Thanks for the information!

http://badmintonsweden.tournamentso...BE6649-03CA-4EAD-8FD8-EDCB53A40888&player=125

7. visor

visor Regular Member

You need to be much hungrier to get to the bird earlier so that you have better shot quality and options. You really need to force yourself to get to the bird instead of waiting for it to get to you.

Your racket carriage needs to be at least waist high in preparation at all times. And you need to split step in anticipation of your opponent's shots. Currently you're lacking in all these.

Mel-Tony-bourne likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How did it go? Did you play more clears?

9. Lau314

Lau314 New Member

It went pretty bad even tho I came third place I still think it went bad. I played decent throughout the qualification and the quaterfinals I played a decent amount of clears. The semifianls was the biggest problem. I dindn't play as I planned (to do more clears and letting my opponents guess) I just went aggressive which was not the best for me. I also started to do ALOT of mistakes in the second set.
    Right now I am just not good enough. I need to train harder.

Here's some videos from the semifinals and quaterfinals.

The black shirt guy is the semifinal match.

Quaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGVq0NLT6hg&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXpoc7uHvs&feature=youtu.be

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I had a quick look. I think you improved from the first video you posted. You are getting a good idea of the body speed around the court.

Although you didn't mention it specifically, if sounds like adding clears helps you get more points.

There are some small technique changes you can work on that will help your game a lot. I will comment on these later.

One big tactical thing is after you play a shot you are not predicting what will be the next reply. Let's say you lift the shuttle from the net and it is near the side of the court. The most likely shot the opponent will play is a straight smash. So, you can already start to think this shot even before the opponent hits it.

Lau314 likes this.