Victor Brave Sword 09 vs Yonex Arsaber 10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DanhNguyen5.3, Feb 20, 2010.

1. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    really? Thats kinda odd, afterall...all the searches i did around BC stated it was slightly head heavier than the BS09. If thats the case, you can opt for a TW coded BS10 where the balance point is the same but stiffness is equal to the BS11. You can find that seller in this thread. He`s a well trusted ebayer I and many have bought from before.

2. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    Thats odd!!! Hm.. might be that the BS11 is 4U too.. I'll have to check up on that haha.

I finally get to try out the BS11, BS10, AND the BS09 ALL AT ONCE on wednesday :). I'll give you a more detailed feedback on what I feel about them after!

3. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    I've tried the SW35.. IT, like the BS11, HITS LIKE A BEAST. But it is also heavier than the rackets which he mentioned. But I actually liked it too :).

MAN theres so many good rackets out there its hard to decide. :p

4. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    SW35 if you can have a direct smash i can almost assure you it is hell of a beast. But in a fast doubles game, it is not so ideal. That's why i sold it. If you play mainly singles, go for sw35 or 36. Sure won't be disappointed. More power go for SW35, more control go for 36. The shaft stiffness means it is harder to defend with SW35.

#44 huangxl, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  5. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    You would actually want more power in doubles. Often power shots will set up your partner up at the net. When I used the SW35, I was playing doubles, I found it heavy but after a while I got used to it. I'm more favored in the front for my pairing and I was still able to get those fast shots at the net. And occasionally put in those touch shots. So it seems perfectly fine for doubles also. A fast lighter racket isn't necessarily better for doubles.

Singles is more about placement you would still want power but not as much necessary than doubles.

6. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    For players who are advanced, you won't get a chance to hit those direct shot because they seldom lift or they have good defence. If there was to push the shuttle flat and fast after u hit a big smash, you will be caught out as you cannot recover in time. Maybe i sucks LOL Anyway, he is looking for a singles racket. So a head heavy racket is more useful as you do more clearing from the baseline and head heavy helps in the swinging. it is more about footwork and placing in a singles game. The speed of the game is not as fast as in doubles. So you have more recovery time. I suggest victor rackets because they are of good quality, value for money. In term of performance it won't lose to yonex or might even surpass it. Plus SW35 is a real beauty of a gem in terms of cosmetic. So beside getting a great looking and performing racket at a lower price, what more can one ask for? :) Maybe a hot chick to go with the racket whenever you play. hahahaha

7. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Going to have to disagree with your first statement. Advanced doubles relies more on speed than power. You want to be able to control yet get shots fast. Its not very often you can just smash and always win a point..and even if you can...you used up a lot of energy. However, if you can wield a heavier racket then its a plus for you. But for advanced doubles, you would want something faster. A heavy racket is more ideal for singles because you have more time to recover and for mixed, anything goes really.

8. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    Sorry if you misunderstood but I didn`t say anything about winning it in one shot :p.
    A fast lighter racket isn't necessarily better for doubles.
    And I never said a lighter racket shouldn`t be used for doubles either. I just said that you don`t need as much power in singles than you do in doubles.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

So you think all you have to do is smash and clear hard in doubles and you'll win?

I don't think you'll find too many on this forum who will agree with your statement above.

10. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    woops, i meant to say continually smash. I never said it was better. I was leaning towards the idea it would be more ideal, but I should have been more clear lol.

As for that last statement, i think it should be the reverse, but thats just me. I don't have anything against you, but im just providing some healthy criticism =)

11. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    I never said only smashing and clearing, CLEARING? When did I say clearing OR in fact smashing only?

The way I see it is that placement will start off your singles not often do you use power to start off your singles rally.

12. whenry

whenry Regular Member

Hi Danh, I think it is the best if you can test on the court the racket which you like to buy. So you can feel it whether it suits your playing character. I am a double player who likes to attack; smashing, driving, and netting a lot. Here is my 2 cent: I had armortec 500, armortec limited edition, bravesword 9, bravesword 10; and just yesterday I just bought another bravesword 10 for my spare. Personally I think BS 10 is the best among the rackets I owned and have tried.
    I have tried BS 11, not so fast and manuverable compare to BS 10. According to my supplier BS 11's character is the same with BS 9, but BS 11 is better than BS 9 when I tried.
    So..... try BS 10 see if you will like it.
    Good luck,
    Henry

13. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

I have tried both racquets (BS10 the made in Taiwan version) and I prefer the AS10

14. visor

visor Regular Member

IMHO, if you're talking about power, then smash and clears require the most power. Shot placement does not require power.

So, let's start over. You're saying that you need more power in doubles than in singles. Is that my understanding?

Because if so, you won't find many players on this forum that will agree with that. In fact, it is the opposite.

15. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    First off you don`t really CLEAR in doubles do you? And second i`m not talking about MOST required power.. You can put power in a drive. Power doesn`t always mean smashing..

And I think your misunderstanding. I`m not saying that you need power behind EVERY shot and I did not say that, at least not that i meant to if i did.

Please explain why you think that you would need more power in singles and less in doubles? Assuming that do you mean you need more power and less placement in singles? And vice versa?

16. adidascanada

I think you need more power in men's doubles than in singles. All things being equal, TYPICALLY, if you are on the offensive most of the time in men's doubles you stand a better chance at winning.
    Singles tends to require more strategy and "rally building" than doubles.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

OK, let's start over with some common understanding.

First, IMHO, it is well understood that for any given racket design there is a compromise or balance that the manufacturer has to choose between power and speed. eg. 3U headheavy for power, 4U headlight for speed. Power for attack. Speed for defence.

Second, because there's two players covering the court in doubles vs. one in singles, the game of doubles is by nature faster than singles.

So, doubles would benefit from speedier rackets more so than power rackets. eg. YY NS 9900 vs. ArcZ Slash

18. LOW L S

LOW L S Regular Member

Student
    This is basically why I would say that you don`t necessarily need more power in singles than doubles.

3U and 4U do not classify head heaviness.. its overall weight of the racket.

19. adidascanada

1: Agreed but 3U and 4u are strictly weight and not related to balance
    2: Agreed

If the pretense is that offense is what "wins" doubles then "power" racquets (stiffer shafts and head heavy balance) are what you want. Not everyone likes and get maximum benefit from racquets of this nature though. Use the racquet that best suits you and your game.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

I know U = weight.:rolleyes:

Part of my first point was that a 3U AND headheavy racket is more powerful, and a 4U AND headlight racket is faster. That's all... so sorry if I had left out the "AND".:rolleyes: