Vari Frame

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Whats the purpose of the Variframe?

thanx for all replies.......

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Crap racquets need marketing gimmicks, you know!

I think the idea is to give newbies better stability and a bit more power in off-center shots. Dunno if it really works, everyone seems to hate this series.

3. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Just another design or what they called series. There is nothing special of about ot except the square lower body frame design. I've tested the 85VF belonging to a friend. He is OK with it. Seems to me like a cheap racket but at a high price to pay.

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I thought about the marketing gimmick. Seems quite logical. Probably same like the Titanium gimmick if it really is one. I was actually considering the Isometric 96VF.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    The yonex marketing department got bored one day and made up idea to meet some yearly ideas quota. I think Vari Frame is one of the better whacky ideas of the bunch like ti-mesh, color permutation among Ti 3,5,6,7,8,10 & swing power rackets, Ti strings, Ti grips, new colors (yellow and red now) for Cab8, etc.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ti strings

Just for the record: Ti coated strings are actually a big improvement, at least the Yonex BG68-Ti (and the Ashaway Rally-22 Ti)... The coating is actually some sort of titanium oxide, but Yonex of course pretend it's real titanium cuz it goes better with the rest of their marketing scheme... So you're right there too I guess.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Re: Ti strings

I feel that there is a difference with my Ti rackets compared to those without any Ti. They may not necesarily be more powerful but i feel that they do absorb shock when you hit the shuttle hard.

I always thought that the Vari Frame would allow you to have tighter tensions but i saw the tension for the Iso 96VF recommendation is only 14-18lbs.

8. Bob

Bob Guest

Re: vf

hey, don;t throw out the variframe idea right away, they're not really THAT bad. my friend broke his ti6, and had a small club tourney thing to go to, so he borrowed mines, lending me his newly bought 95vf intended for backup.
    using it for the last few days, it isn't al lthat bad, its not a really that good either, but i don't see why everyone hates them so much...

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont hates them (VF). I'm just fed up with yonex gimmick marketing scheme to sell more rackets. It's not what frame type determine quality, it's what material and workmanship go into it. I dont have nor touch a VF racket before but i think yonex made them for the mid-lower product range.

10. Bob

Bob Guest

give the vf a try, you might not like it, but doesn't hurt right? you might like it, i don't seem to mind it, they're ok rackets. better then alot of some i've tried before. but then thats my opinion, eveyrone's pref in rackets is different.

and ya, i agree with you on the marketing gimmicks.
    yup, they're taking the Ti thing too far. rackets, ok, strings, ok, but grip? bags? thats rediculous.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, i wont reject trying one but i have not seen one yonex VF rackets from the clubs i play in. That's why i havent even touch one yet.

No, yonex doesnt got Ti bags, yet.
    ti strings bg65ti and bg75ti may last longer by 10% in lab test but in real world they don't. On yonex ti rackets, i'm sticking to my claim, they add nothing to the racket performance. Of other brand ti rackets, cant say as i havent examined them. On Ti grip, still to be seen.

12. Bob

Bob Guest

ti strings, i never tried them before... how do they compare to standard bg65 or 80? assuming similar tensions

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Ti strings suppose to be identical to their non-ti brothers except for the extra Ti coating. Therefore they r suppose to play the same.I had only demoed my friend racket with ti string. Vince actually had used bg65ti long enough to say the regular bg65 was better for him. He even traded his surplus bg65ti for some bg65 strings instead. Some other people had said bg68 lasted longer than bg80.

14. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I feel that the Ti couting gives the shuttle extra bounce, when its hit. Like a stiff trampoline

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i can't visualize how a thin ti coating on the string can give u more bounce and trampoline effects. Just my opinion of course.

16. Bob

Bob Guest

ya, thats what i was thinking too, just like the ti inserts to the 3 and 9 of a frame. maybe its all back to that ti crap that yy makes up. hehe, thinking of ti man again. haha