Upgrade from Apacs Edge Saber 10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BadassBadminton, Nov 1, 2019.

1. BadassBadminton

BadassBadminton New Member

Why buying new racket ?
    Playing for 10 months and really passionate about it.I have started doing Plyometric exercises,watched tons of videos, practice footwork drills at home and reflex by playing at the wall,etc,etc..I always play doubles and play about 8hrs a week.
    When I started I didn't want to spend too much on racket but my birthday is coming up and wife wants to gift something. So I thought why not I buy better racket.

What I have ?
    Currently I have two rackets both Apacs Edge Saber 10 (Nanogy 99 @25lbs and BG65Ti @22lbs).Edge Saber 10 weighs around 85gms, is medium flex and a balanced racket. It is between 3U and 4U weight categories of Yonex. The Nanogy 99 strung Edge Saber is great at net shots and control and is my everyday racket. The BG65TI string is quite loose which results in immensely powerful shots but almost no precision. Its useless at the net.

What I want ?
    I am a aggressive player and can generate lot of power(exercise helps) but since I switched to Nanogy 99 I just can't get much power on the shot. Also I am ok at defense but would like to get better. I usually loose points when I mishit trying to place a shuttle accurately or when I am unable to defend because I can't change directions quickly. Both these are technical issues but racket does play a part.

Options: Based on what I have read I am thinking about upgrading to Astrox 88D 4U racket with BG66UM @24lbs which could provide good balance between speediness and power. But I am totally open to suggestions.

Based on this could you recommend :

Racket Type:
    Racket Weight:
    String Type:
    String Tension:

#1 BadassBadminton, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. BadassBadminton

BadassBadminton New Member

Any suggestions ?

3. insanity

insanity New Member

I upgraded from the Edgesaber 10 to the Victor Auraspeed 90K 3U. Using BG66U at 26lbs.

Faster racket speed and stiffer overall. Slightly head heavy resulted in stronger smashes.

4. Mete Ozcorekci

Mete Ozcorekci Regular Member

I assume you are a beginner bec you said you started 10 months ago, a year now. You may want to try nanogy 98, it might fit for your play for now. As you improve, you can switch to thinner strings, but do not rush. 24lbs is good for now, you can increase again as you improve and dont get high tension which would destroy your smash for now.

For racket, dont get very stiff rackets. 90k is good suggestion, but might be too stiff for you. If you have a chance to try first. 90k might be good fit. You may try yonex astrox 77 which is head heavy and stiff-flex (even if they say mid-flex, it is little stiffer). Personally, I really like both 90k and 77, but 90k is better for me while I believe 77 may work better for you. Also, I think you can go 4U.

Bonus tip for smashing in doubles: you can smash to middle of your opponent, which is tricky for them to return and impossible for you to hit out from sides.