Trick to get used to a new racket faster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Zalmon, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

I recently just changed my racket from 88s 4u to 88d pro 4u because I feel like I need to improve the steepness of my smash from rear court and feel like its time to get a new racket. I used 88s since it first came out and strung it with bg80power at 28lbs. I bought the 88d pro last week and strung it with the newest exbolt at 28 lbs( just wanted to try the new tech they claim). I can generate more power into smash when my timing was right, but most of the time I feel like I didnt hit it at the sweet spot maybe a second faster or later due the weight and the difference in length. The new racket feel lighter than the 88s (i have tried my friend 88d before but this new one is definitely lighter). Now, my other areas such as defend , mid court, and front court went south. I cant perform a good spin net shot, and when I try to push to the mid court it seems “too bouncy”. When I lift or drive it seems slightly off track. Is it because of the string or racket or both? I really love the feeling of the 88d pro and the smash but my performance went south since I couldn’t defense and control the bird like I used to. Is there any trick to help me to get used to the 88d pro faster? I dont get much play time and practice on court due the pandemic, and I only get to be on court once or twice a week since I play with my couple friends at a private court.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Time will solve the problem. The more u use it the better you are.
    Just 1 thing, when you change something, dont change a whole thing (racket, string, & all). Change 1 parameter but keep the rest, like for your case new racket. So new racket with the same old setup on string, tension, & grip. That way it will give you an insight of how the new racket play like & by then you adjust the tension.

missclicked and Zalmon like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hit shuttles against the wall.

Zalmon likes this.
  4. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

Change to new type of racket and New type of Strings are contributing all of those abovementioned. Give the racket some time or at least until the new string started to loose its tension, and get it strung with your usual string setup... from there you are still learning it and perhaps your 3rd string (with your personal adjustment) will get more intune with your 88D pro.

just my 2cent.

Zalmon likes this.