TOTAL BWF THOMAS CUP 2018 | FINAL - China vs Japan

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, May 25, 2018.

?

Who will lift the prestigious Thomas Cup?

Poll closed May 27, 2018.
  1. China

71.4%
  2. Japan

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's is true but AI has the capability to learn and improve itself as demonstrated by Alphago beating all the best of the best go players in 50+ games undefeated.

And as the late Stephen Hawking warned, that artificial intelligence "could spell the end of the human race". ... "It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

I actually share his pessimism, just look at history,what have humans been doing since time immemorial with its endless conflicts and wars, and now the threat of a nuclear holocaust looming over our heads and the gradual , almost imminent, danger of climate change that may also spell the end of humankind.

At heart I remain an optimist, otherwise life is unbearable, how else can we carry on living and hoping and dreaming.

2. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

to be fair to CL, this was his only lost for this game. he also needs time to review his play. at 29, he has a few more years given his current fitness.

hope he finds ways to improve his attack and net play. his predictive play can only cause problems to lower ranks players. for those who can match him stroke for stroke, he will not be able to make it. that is my observation

alien9113 likes this.
  3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

He was so scared to attack, all his smashes were sliced.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I believe I saw an article whereby a player defeated the AI, but only with some creative moves... humans can still beat AI, but the level of intelligence will be at another level, not our current level. At our current level, we will just be killed by AI since they know what we are up to. The same goes for the robotic Chen Long. Although he's so predictive, not many have managed to beat him consistently.

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

The capability to learn itself is programmed by human
    So it really depends on the human who program it

Anyway, AI with such capabilities requires extreme amount of power, which with the current issue on limited oil and sustainable energy, it will be almost impossible to get such future, at least in our lifetime

Sorry oot

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Cold comfort. Too bad Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen spoiled the party for you and denied your gleeful hope that Lin Dan might be humbled and forced to do (what?) 'housekeeping' for Team CHN.

Obviously, you can't wait to see the 'aged' Lin Dan humiliated and devastated as if that'd give an elder like you some (or much) consolation, yet you could be so sympathetic to Team JPN (which is fine by me). What if it were LCW instead ? You'd be crying buckets ? At your wise old age, I should expect you to learn to take it easy and let it go. Pardon my presumptuousness.

7. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

a win is a win regardless of 1 point of many points. you need to play another game to register you next win. this is how the games is played. just like you maybe controlling TV e entire 90 minutes in soccer but the other team scored a goal. they win.

If ever they go into the 3rd single. Can LD deliver is to be seen. from this tournament alone, he has delivered, so what make anyone think he couldn't? as a matter of fact, i was thinking of CL will win and there is no need for 4 games. haha

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, but Chen Long is playing against human opponents, not a humanoid with cutting edge AI. Btw, in go and in chess, it's beyond any human to beat them at it anymore.
    I understand but the problem is humans have not proven to be that sane and rational, far less peace-loving than we wish, and history is fraught with examples of human follies that led to catastrophic results time and time again.

To quote the words of Einstein: “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

'limited oil and sustainable energy'? You don't suppose new forms of energy will not be found or developed, do you ? As it is, nuclear energy is already sustainable, soon it'll also become renewable. What about energy source on the moon, Helium-3 which is rare on Earth but abundant there as well as cleaner and safer than any other nuclear fuels.
    Read this http://www.explainingthefuture.com/helium3.html

"As reported in an Artemis Project paper, about 25 tonnes of helium-3 -- or a fully-loaded Space Shuttle cargo bay's worth -- could power the United States for a year. This means that helium-3 has a potential economic value in the order of $3bn a tonne -- making it the only thing remotely economically viable to consider mining from the Moon given current and likely-near-future space travel technologies and capabilities."

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think so too, Chen Long was playing too cautiously and conservatively, not daring to let himself go. The few occasions when he did, he came out on top.

alien9113 likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yet he has won Olympic Gold and WC golds.
    No, that's where people are wrong. The humans program the AI, so far so good. But AI was programmed to think by itself and to evolve according to the circumstances and situations. The problem lies within though human still are the smarter or the more creative ones but AI thinks at a 10,000 times faster than human's. In other words, if AIs could run at 100 km/h and the human could only run at 10 km/h of course the humans will be outrun by the AIs. Look at your smartphones and see how 'smarter' and faster they are in performing calculations, searching words, answering questions and so on than a human could do. Not to mention they are immortals and emotionless.

People believe they could control the AI, but can we really? They are controlling us now, how many of us could live without our smartphones, or tablets or PCs?

11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm surprised people haven't heard of machine learning..

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Remembered in 2016 ChenLong didnt win a single Superseries, that was the turning point.and that TC performance in Kunshan. He already didnt feel that well.

But yeah he won the Olympic against washed out opponent.

13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am sorry. I am saying as a Sustainable Energy Engineer and I am extremely certain that such energy will still take about 70 years until all of them can be harnessed efficiently. All of energy that comes from chemical compounds (Helium, Hydrogen, and friends) are extremely not efficient from energy density, volume density point of view. Think about it, you want to harness energy from the moon? Do you think how much energy will be needed to TRANSPORT it to Earth??? It will be much higher than the energy acquired from the chemical compound itself.

Granted, some research center can have access of such high intensity power with extreme funding to created some AI maybe somewhere in extremist countries. But I am sorry, I don't think the AI will be able to do much besides hacking into our banking system, government and etc., which is what Einstein was talking about. It will be digital war, but it is something completely different than what Stephen Hawking is talking about

And keep in mind, I said in our lifetime!!!

14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

what I am saying is
    THE CAPABILITY TO LEARN ITSELF IS CREATED BY HUMAN

the capability of machine learning is itself created by human
    the decision making that is done by those is created by human

do you think how they can make decision to say that "if A results in B, then everytime I find A means I will get B"? it is set by human in a code for them to 'think' through a system which results in 'logical' conclusion

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LCW washed-out ? He denied it categorically.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I'd like to agree with you, that's what I thought in the past, not anymore. I'm in awe as well as terrified of what AI might do in the not too distant future, both for good and evil.

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

In team competition you would never bet inn Chen Long who has been instrumental in many losses or near losses.

E.g national games team finals the time he lost to Li Yu in straight games and nearly making Fujian lose if not for THWs victory in the last singles against Chen Jin or some other former national player can’t remember.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes, I did some of those courses too. Programming AI and stuff. I hated it so much. Lol

The problem with humans is they never stop trying to create an AI that can think by itself, giving it all the conditions and possibilities that any human can think of, then see if it could do problem solving better than any human. It probably started by some innocent curiosity but who knows where it could lead.
    AIs are harmless, but humans aren't. What I don't have faith in is the humans. They are way too arrogant for their own good most of the time.

I just remembered the new Dan Brown's book Origin also addressed this kind of issue. Fiction of course, but quite intriguing.
    Religion vs Science is always amusing.

Still, yet he won Olympics and WCs. :D He is not that weak in general. Some people thrive in team event, but couldn't win any individuals. So I guess no body's perfect. Except LD and ZN I guess who thrive in both team and individual majors.

19. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

the fact CL was world no. 1 ranking says what he is capable of. however, looking at how he plays in the final, it is about time he review his play if he wants to continue. this is a good feedback i am sure he will appreciate. not that he is finished.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, moon energy source aside for now, even for Mother Earth, how far and how much are we doing for the development and use of safe, clean, sustainable and renewable energy other than carbon-based fuels if not for economic and political reasons, esp the self-serving agenda of interested parties (think oil fracking).

I'm afraid you're grossly underestimating the future and power of AI, it's not just a machine programmed by and based on human inputs but it's capability and capacity to constantly learn and improve itself, and, to use Stephen Hawking's words again, "It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," - that's what is most awesome and scary at the same time.

You know, talking about creativity, AI can even compose poetry ( a bit artificial atm), let alone play chess and go (aka weiqi) better than any human could.

As an aside, AI is a huge and vitally important topic, I fear the moderator may intervene to stop our very interesting conversation, so I'll halt for now as I 've made my point, I believe, whilst respecting yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.