To whom LD lost at previous AG?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by rhinovinda, Nov 7, 2006.

1. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    I was wondering, at previous AG in Busan, LinDan lost to Taufik in the team semifinal (straight set) and subsequently at the individual MS, TH clinched the gold. Did LD join the individual MS as well and to whom he lost?.

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    hmmmm... :rolleyes: i forgot , he lost in quaterfinal

that was one of the taufik's best forms , TH played convincingly (only in team event, he lost due to 'very unfair line judges')

3. event

event Regular Member

These are the Round of 16 results from Busan in 2002:

XUANZE XIA (CHN) : TES FAC SINO (E-TIMOR) (15:2, 15:1 XUANZE XIA 승)
    RONALD SUSILO (SIN) : HENDRAWAN (INA) (8:15, 5:15 HENDRAWAN 승)
    CHOONG HANN WONG (MAS) : NG WEI (HKG) (15:8, 3:15, 15:5 CHOONG HANN WONG 승)
    이현일 (KOR) : THEERARATSAKUL ANUPHAP (THA) (15:4, 15:4 이현일 승)
    MASUDA KEITA (JPN) : TAUFIK HIDAYAT (INA) (3:15, 2:15 TAUFIK HIDAYAT 승)
    HASHIM MUHAMMAD HAFIZ (MAS) : HONG CHEN (CHN) (15:7, 11:15, 15:5 HASHIM MUHAMMAD HAFIZ 승)
    PULLELA GOPICHAND (IND) : BOONSAK PONSANA (THA) (17:15, 15:6 PULLELA GOPICHAND 승)
    TAM LOK TIN (HKG) : 손승모 (KOR) (4:15, 4:15 손승모 승)

Lin Dan wasn't playing, by the looks of it. It looks as if only 2 players per country, including the host country, Korea, were playing. At that time, Lin Dan wasn't so famous. He had never been #1. He had already won the Korea Open in 2002 but I don't know how many other tournaments. On the other hand, I think Chen Hong was the World #1 and Xie Xuanze was #2 or #3. They played, Lin Dan didn't.

As for Taufik, while you are correct about the unfair line judging, I believe that you are mistaken about it being the reason for his loss. True, they called a shot "in" that I believe was an inch out. However, Taufik walked off the court, didn't return for an hour and, if I remember correctly, they replayed the point after replacing the line judges with international referees. Taufik still lost despite all the concessions.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for clarifying the issue. It seem TH myths and half baked stories are coming from the TH's camp.

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Thanks event =p
    you're always here to clarify every situations in Korea lol
    Great Job =)

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

You notice how taufik-ist said:

It seems to me he was just kidding :). I can't be sure of course but from the way he's written it :cool: it seems he was :).

7. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    thanks for making it clear event :D when I saw the title of this thread I wasvery suprised :eek: coz I thought Lin Dan haven't played in AG before :) hehe :D

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Were those AG broadcasted? Just wondering if there was any chance of getting any videos from that.

9. event

event Regular Member

They were broadcasted in Korea. I watched that Shon vs. Taufik game on TV. I'm not sure how you would get the videos. I didn't have a TV at the time so I didn't record anything. I've never looked into buying archive footage from a TV station. It was broadcast on Chinese TV. There were photos of Gong Zichao working as a commentator. I've never seen any floating around.

As for Taufik, I wouldn't say the claims are entirely baseless. I'm just trying to put forward the idea that this was an exceptional case where biased hometown line calls were prevented from causing a loss. Usually, the visiting player just has to grin and bear it and try to rise above the situation somehow but in this case, the IBF or ABF came to Taufik's rescue.

Incidentally, I watched Lin Dan beat Shon Seung-mo in the finals of the Korea Open that year. I don't remember any problems with line calls that time. The fans were even very vociferous in their support of Zhang Ning when she was playing Gong Ruina in the women's singles final.

I don't know if Lin had done anything else before then. From the BWF records, it looks as if he was eliminated very early from several 2002 events. like in the first round in Indonesia and Singapore.

10. taufik-ist

it administrator
    taufik had lost 'the mood' after being 'cheated' by lines men :), i watched it live in tV not just one bad calls :).. and TH paid back in the individual event, HE beat the korean so badly :)

#10 taufik-ist, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  11. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    I have the video of TH vs LD at Team MSSF but in DVD format. I will look whether I could separate the files. Anyone has suggestion.

12. taufik-ist

it administrator
    u can compress the video with divx or xvid codec (free) , the size will 'shrink' 70 - 90 % and the quality is still good

13. event

event Regular Member

I was wondering why Lin Dan would have been playing first singles if he wasn't ranked that high. Now that I actually check the IBF ranking archives, it seems that, at the time, Bao Chunlai was ranked 1st in the world and Lin Dan was #2! I wonder if it was one of those situations where they chose the players who qualified based on rankings 4 months earlier like in this year's WC. Hence, Bao and Lin could be there for team events but didn't qualify for individuals, then boosted their rankings such that they were the ones who ended up playing the top players from other nations. IBF records online seem to start with tournaments in very late 2002 so what Bao and Lin did to get such lofty rankings by Oct 2002 is not clear.

The Asian Games qualifications haven't been done by IBF rankings this year, though, have they? I haven't seen any qualification list like they had for the WC and the Olympics.

I thought I'd seen that final between Taufik and Lee Hyun-il but it was on a Monday and I know I went back to work so I guess I saw the semi-final between Shon and Taufik and then on Monday I went to a restaurant to watch the Lee-Taufik game on the restaurant TV.

14. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Oh wow, I'd love to see that! Yeah DivX or XviD are your best bet. Smaller upload, smaller download :).

15. event

event Regular Member

No, that can't be it either. It looks as if Lin Dan was the first or second ranked Chinese player all through 2002. Why would Xia and Chen get picked for the 2 singles spots. Xia, I can understand. He was on fire that year and picked up some titles. Bao, despite being #1, obviously hadn't won a tournament since Denmark in 2001 (obviously, because he never won again until this August) so it's obvious why they wouldn't trust him to win a medal. Bao and Lin were both 19 at the time so maybe they wanted to go with the more experienced players. If someone has some recollection of this on the Chinese side, you could chime in at some point.

16. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

You are right.

TH lost in team event after he cannot control his emotion.

And 4 years ago LD is only number 3 or 4 with BCL in China team.

17. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

About this,

LD won Korea Open when IBF used the ridiculuous scoring 7 point for each set and player had to win 3 sets.

LD adapted to this scoring very good. He is number 1 for the first time in mid 2002. Check the IBF records.

But after become number 1 and scoring change again into 15 points, his play suddenly become so bad that he lost three times in a row in first round by medium players. Maybe being number 1 in the world in the age of 19 kind of made him nervous.

That were the lowest of LD career. By 2003, his ranking dropped from number 1 to only top 50. He only reach R16 , second round or QF occasionally.

But at mid 2003, he come back with a vengeance. Maybe he already can adapt with 15 scoring better or he didnot had anything to lose anymore.
    He reach 3 final in a row and win 2 of them. From German Open (winner) Denmark Open (Runner up) and Dutch Open (winner)

After that as you already know he won so many titles in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Of course he choked at OLympic first round. But compare to his accomplishment since mid 2003, he already paid his failure by winning lots of major tiles and winning Thomas Cup twice and Sudirman Cup once.

18. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Thats the reason why LYB did not pick LD to play in indiviual MS in Asian Games 2002. By that time, he lost easily in lots of events , still had mental problem with his ranking 1 status and have not adapt to 15 scoring point.

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The question of this thread has been completely answered.
    - Men's Team Event -- LD defeated by TH (12-15 ; 14-17) when INA booked score 3-1 to progress into last round.
    - Individual Event -- CHN represented by CH and XXZ with results CH lost to MAS's M.Hafiz Hashim (R/16) and Xia gave up to INA's Hendrawan (QF).
    - LD was bdm newcomer in Busan games 4 year ago (although his WR at #1) but NOW he is the front-runner with full experience to win Gold. Doha AG is the right time for him to make good record at multi-sport event, doubtedly he can do in next Guangzhou 2010.

20. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    yep ;) :D go go go Lin Dan, win win win :D hehe :D