Titanium again

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I figured that with new people starting to post new messages here i thought i'd raise this topic again and see what other people have to say.

I posted a topic a while ago questioning Titanium reinforcement and what it does. Why do companies put Titanium into rackets anyway? Whats the point? Whats it do?

Thanx for all replies

2. KL

KL Guest

So many answers have already been posted in this message

board. To satisfy curiosity I asked golfers and they say

titanium heads give extra kick to their drives.Then I went out to

buy a cab20 carbonex with titanium head and found out that

the titaniun head does offer better power and control but was

highly inflexible and restricted my game which is based on

chops , deception and shot making, maybe the same racquet

would be more useful in doubles where one has to bludgeon

opponents.That is just my experience and I am no fan of

titanium.Maybe there are better titanium models that I haven't

tried.

3. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Titanium is a metal that is stronger than steel at roughly half to two thirds of the weight. It first became popular in sports with the use of titanium tube sets in bicycle frames around the late 80's or early 90's and that use still makes the best sense out of all the sorts of items that are made with titanium today. Titanium bicycle frames are usually 500-1000g lighter than comparable steel framed bikes, which can be a significant benefit to pro riders going up the mountains in races such as the Tour de France. Titanium frames also absorb shock a bit better than steel, which many cyclists claim gives them more energy and less fatigue at the end of a long ride. Most cyclists who own titanium bikes (at a cost of at least $1500 U.S.) really like them.

The next significant sporting use for titanium occurred in the early to mid 90's in club heads (and less commonly in the shafts) of golf clubs. Since titanium was lighter than steel, a club manufacturer could make a bigger club head, particularly in a driver or other metal woods, which would give the club more perimeter weighting and a bigger sweet spot than the same weight club fashioned from steel and thus tend to produce slightly longer and straighter shots. For a while, manufacturers were making irons, as well as woods, with titanium but that sub-trend seems to have mostly died away in the past year or two.

Titanium has become such a ridiculous hype item in sporting goods that manufacturers are even adding it (probably in tiny, trace amounts) to tennis balls, golf balls and clothing (Columbia makes Gore-tex style parkas that they claim, in a bold tag on the sleave, contains titanium in the threads of the fabric). Personally, I cannot see how adding a metal to any of these types of items can make any difference whatsoever (I have tried three types of titanium golf balls and they all performed worse than the regular ones I use) and it appears to be primarily a marketing scam.

Racquet manufacturers add titanium mesh to the graphite in their racquet heads claiming that it adds strength and stiffness to the racquet and possibly expands the sweet spot somewhat. Other than the Yonex Ti-10 (which many people seem to think is stiffer and more powerful than most other racquets), various reviews of titanium badminton rackets don't seem to praise them any more than comparable, all graphite racquets. Although I have only played with one titanium racquet (a Ti-8 that I didn't particularly like), based on the many other comments people have made, I think titanium is more of a marketing gimmick than a real advancement in badminton. By analogy to tennis racquets, while some manufacturers like to put titanium in all of their racquets, Wilson only adds it to their glitzy, low end models and does not use or market titanium in their better racquets, presumably because it offers no benefit to racquets for better players. One would also assume that because Carlton has not used titanium in its better racquets, that the metal offers no particular advantage for badminton racquets.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks Brett, that was an excellent explanation. i'd just like to point out one small point, titanium is not stronger than steel per volume, but it is stronger per weight.

i found some data on the material properties of alumin(i)um, steel and titanium. Modulus is stiffness, yield point is strength, and specific gravity is weight.

<table>
    <tr><td>Material</td><td>Modulus</td><td>Yield Point</td><td>Specific Gravity</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Aluminum</td><td>10-11</td><td>11-59 (4-22 annealed.)</td><td> 168.5</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Steel</td><td>30</td><td>46-162</td><td>490</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Titanium</td><td>15-16.5</td><td>40-120</td><td>280</td></tr>
    </table>

enjoy!

5. zhijun

zhijun Guest

Actually one should think Titanium fibers in the
    raquet frame as a reinforcement. Being a kind of high
    strength metal, usually it provides extra strength
    against cracking to the matrix material. As people
    know, the carbon fiber - epoxy matrix materials are
    brittle.

6. Bob

Bob Guest

yes, a very valid point, but then again, would that small insert at the 3 and 9 positions on the head make a real big difference?

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Thats exactly what i was thinking. I was also wondering if the stuff they put in the rackets really are Titanium in the first place.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Will Titanium go the same way as boron/ceramic/wide body--->into the bin?

9. Don

Don Regular Member

Your sweet spot is in that vacinity... and it does add a little more stability with shots with a strong reinforcements.

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I believe titanium gives no special advantage in terms of badminton raquets.
    Yonex's Ti series isnt even made of 100% titanium, its titanium reinforced graphite, which they give a special name "titanium mesh". All this does is bond the graphite fibres together with some titanium in the epoxy. Which doesnt do anything but add a bit of rigidity(if even). It seems to be only a hype, if titanium was really that good, yonex would have obviously made the Ti10 100% titanium and not like..20%.
    and as one of the earlier msgs before stated "Carlton doenst use titanium in they're high end models, because it doesnt give any advantage"

11. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    RE: Boron

I've a coach friend who is from ex-HK team. At the time he was still in tournament, he was sponsored by Yonex with Boron 2 racquets. He still keep one brand new one now and is willing to sell it if someone can offer him HK$5,000. I then asked how great about the Boron 2 (while it was released after I playing badminton for many years, I can't afford it at that time), and he said that besides it is no longer manufactured by Yonex, it is a great racquet too - the main problem is that it is very easily to crack (as a result, it is rarely used in double).

I can't verify his claim as I never try the Boron 2 before. However I do think if it is really a good racquet, why did Yonex stop manufacture it ? Some people don't mind to buy non-durable racquets provided that they are really good. In fact, Xia Xuanze is still using this racquet nowadays, right ?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Xia uses cab20.

This brings up an interesting point. Does Yonex really test run their new racquets? Some racquets are obviously very flimsy. Were those racquets tested properly in playing (and trauma conditions). This applies to all racquet manufacturers, actually.

13. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company

Sun Jun was using a boron-2. I've never tried it but it has a slim shaft like the cab-21

14. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    The iso-900 was replaced buy the Ti-swing power. The Ti-swing power has more vibration and no more power.

15. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I have only just realised yesterday when i was playing with a couple of different rackets including my Yonex Ti-7 and my Pro-Kennex CarbonPro 787. They were both newly strung with an Ashaway Microlegend string at 24lbs

Even though they both that the same string. The CarbonPro 787 vibrated more than the Ti-7 whenever the i smashed or hit the shuttle hard. The work of Titanium?

16. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT

Yes, it is Sun Jun using Boron 2. I've made a mistake in my previous message (I always having problem in interpreting those Chinese translation of Chinese players). -:(

p.s. I heard someone said that those Boron 2 racquets are made especially for him (as they no longer manufacture now).

17. Pete

Pete Guest

That's correct. Titanium or other metals has a tendency to absorb vibration a lot better than pure carbon or carbon-graphite composite.

18. Pete

Pete Guest

Exactly The AB 2000 do contain titanium mesh in the racquet frame.

A 100% titanium badminton racquet will be too heavy to handle.

19. John

John Guest

Do anyone have a engineering degree in Materials?

When you look at material science, the shape, manufacturing and other misc processes that occur within the building of racquet, that's how the strength, flex, and other characteristics are determined.

I've purchased an all graphite racquet that couldn't hold 21lbs of string tension, the fibres just buckled, and it cracked with just a smash.

Therefore, b4 deciding Ti is a total waste, just think of it as another material that has been employed to either:

1. deceptively fool you in thinking the value of the racket is greater (marketting)
    2. maybe the racket company actually did some research and placed the material weave in the correct location with the correct sandwiching procedure to actually make it worthwhile.

I've got a quartz, Ti, graphite racket and its stiff as hell, lighter than any other racket I've every seen, and its damn durable. How's that for good manufacturing?

Try to sample the racket b4 buying it. The general rules apply to any product, if it doesn't match your game, then don't use it.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yeah, few milligram of Ti-Mesh taped or glued to the sides really gonna absorb the pounding of shuttlecocks at 100+ mph. NOT.

Better yet, why dont high end graphite bikes have any Ti-mesh?