Tie off on second last cross vs. last cross

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by raven1121, Aug 4, 2023.

1. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

I'm trying different techniques to minimize tension loss.

There is more string running around the outside of the frame with the knot on the second cross. I heard that it was better to do it this way at high tensions. Does anyone know why this might be the case?

I've also had 1-2 lbs added to the last 2 crosses and it seems to retain tension a lot longer. Any other suggestions are also welcome thanks.

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

3. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Sorry are you talking about looping around and then tying on your main? What I was doing was zig zagging back to tie on my cross. What I feel is that the top of my string bed feels tighter, more solid then zig zagging back down, I will have a little tension loss closer to the sweetspot, that is why I usually add 10% plus 1 pound to make up for tension loss. Stringing tennis rackets we are taught to tie crosses on crosses if possible, I never thought to try on badminton rackets. To me I feel when people tie from the 2nd to last cross they are trying to move the forgiveness point in the racket, where people might clash rackets, giving the frame a little more forgiveness against clashes.

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

My knot button is set at 10% so I usually add 2 pounds when I tie. 24 pounds I think is doing 2.5 and 30 is doing 3 pounds with my knot button =)

DarthHowie and raven1121 like this.
  5. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

Yes, the tie offs are all on the mains, but the difference is which string comes before the knot.

After trying both methods, it does seem to me that tying the knot off the second cross from the top does result in the upper area of the stringbed feeling just a bit tighter. But there are longer runs of string on the outside of the frame. I've tried +1, +2 and +3 on the last two crosses, and I think +1 is mostly enough. +3 has a buzzy feeling to it and +2 is slightly narrower at the top but still okay.

I've never seen the one where you tie the crosses back off on themselves, does it require having a shared hole at the tieoff? You'd have three strings in one hole right?

kakinami likes this.
  6. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

I see from your video is that you're tying the knot off the third cross. Yonex has the tie off on the first, and I think tying off on the second works quite well if slightly messier than Yonex. It might also be quite hard on some rackets to have three strings in one hole.

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

There is no force being put in the shared holes with 3 pieces of string. I tie my mains on B9 having a main, cross and a knot in hole B9. I usually finish my crosses and tie on the 2nd shared hole at the top, there is less friction in that grommet also.

DarthHowie and raven1121 like this.
  8. SirWabbs

SirWabbs Regular Member

Yes adding +10% to knots will help with reducing tension loss.

Also pull the strings twice for tie off.

I’ve been reversing the last 3-4 crosses (depending on racket/stringing pattern), and tie off on a cross on the last shared hole at the top.

This is what the Yonex team have been doing for certain strings and it helps to minimise breakage at higher tensions as you don’t tie off at the mains.

There’s definitely more string run along the outside of the frame but it hasn’t seemed to affect tension loss for me.

DarthHowie and kakinami like this.
  9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

When you do your last crosses, say maybe an Astrox 77 for instance where there are maybe 4 crosses from the last shared hole, how would you go back down to tie? For instance what I would do is from the 5th to last cross (the last shared hole) I would skip 4th to last and do 3rd to last cross, skip 2nd to last and do last cross then come back to 2nd to last and 4th to last and then tie on 5th to last, the last shared hole.

SirWabbs, DarthHowie and thyrif like this.
  10. SirWabbs

SirWabbs Regular Member

That’s really interesting and creative. I think I read one of your previous posts on this method but not thought much of it until now. Do you think that would make much difference for the extra work?

I just simply go straight up to top string, and then work back down. I pull both top 2 strings together, clamp top string and re pull the 2nd top string on its own like the rest until tie off. So the top string has the longest run. Whereas with your method the runs are divided up and shorter.

11. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I was doing your method @SirWabbs and then switched to @kakinami method for that one reason of having multiple shorter runs/skips vs one long run. I've been asking my customers feedback where they are breaking.. For string breaks 1+ month after i strung i see that there is wear to those runs (moreso for long ones) if the user picks the bird up with the racket (rubbing with gym floor?) or from frequent divers. Off centre hits, regardless of stringing pattern and nuanced changes will still likely break regardless.

Just something to monitor. On another note, I've not gotten any negative feedback from my users with either approach. No comment about sweet spot or tension differences (for some i did not tell them to get an unbiased review and told them after the fact.)

#11 DarthHowie, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    kakinami and SirWabbs like this.
  12. SirWabbs

SirWabbs Regular Member

Thanks. I will try this next time. Have a good feeling it will be better too!